DIY FM Wireless Kit

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIY FM Wireless Kit BA1404

If you are reading this you may have already read my previous post about the Simple FM Transmitter I built. That worked great and still does, but I wanted another project and wanted to try a $30 FM transmitter Kit I had seen which is PLL and fully tunable across the complete FM band.
Here is a link to the BA1404 kit. Electronics-DIY.com - Premium Quality Electronic Kits, BA1404
Details about the kit here BA1404 - HI-FI Stereo FM Transmitter 88 - 108 MHz

This site does not respond to email, and I was kind of skeptical if I would get the kit and if it would be complete. Ordered it on a Friday, arrived the following Monday. Checked the parts list and all was accounted for. I did find out as I assembled it, on capacitor (C5) is not on the parts list but was present.

The instructions are one page, it assumes you have built kits before and have the basic skills to look a the board marking and the pictures that are included. It is not step by step.

The only thing I ran into is that the carrier leaks a bit on this IC and causes a rolling sine wave tone that is rather annoying. The data sheet for the BA1404 IC talks about adding var pots to fix this, but a .001uf Disc Cap (code stamp 102) the + and - of one of the inputs ( I put it on the left as it was easy to get to you can see it in the lower left hand corner)
took care of it completely.

Input from my Coinmaster GT is mono so both inputs are tied together and sent to both left and right + connections on the board. The ground only need to attached to one - as it is common.
The CM GT does not have a volume control, so you need to reduce the input level a LOT. I used a 1 Megohm resistor in the 1/4 stereo plug (see photo) This was sufficient for the Simple Transmitter but this one runs on 3v and has less head room so it needed to be reduced more. I added a 25000 ohm multi turn trimmer next to the board (see photo yellow wires are input from shielded cable to trimmer to board. To get an idea of the input level you can use a VOM to measure AC voltage coming from the MD with a constant tone such as pinpointing or overload.. about .3-.4 volts AC is all you need for this Transmitter.

With just a wire for an antenna you will get about 5-8' of range. I went to Radio Shack and bought their replacement mast antenna and with the mast collapsed I now get about 30 ft which is sufficient to move around your MD without getting static in your ears as soon as you step away.

Attachments

• 20140620_102607.jpg
    20140620_102607.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20140620_103219.jpg
    20140620_103219.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 97
  • 20140620_103510.jpg
    20140620_103510.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20140620_103656.jpg
    20140620_103656.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean build.
For the input from your detector you could remove the resistor and install a vari-pot to adjust for volume. Be interested to see the schematic if its not copy righted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like what you did and think you did a great job, but in the end I think it is easier to just buy something. You must have more spare time than me! LOL

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what you did and think you did a great job, but in the end I think it is easier to just buy something. You must have more spare time than me! LOL

no, took about an hour to do the board and another 2 or so to get everything in the box.. The build is as much fun as using it. Truth be told, you can't really just buy something custom made for your MD..

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trim pot... so there is :) Sorry misread the post. What are you using for headphones?

Gotta ask why you went with a mast antenna. I would not be looking for range more than 10 feet and would probably just run a wire around the housing to keep things compact. Signal quality should not be much of an issue within a 10 foot range.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried the wire first but would get static past about 8ft. That is what I had with the original and was a pain if you stepped away. The Simple FM transmitter was actually good with just a wire for about 15' till the battery voltage dropped. With 3v this didn't have the range with just the wire and for $6 I figured I would give it a try and works great with it collapsed. Adds a little weight but the complete unit just under 4oz so not bad at all. Only thing I have noticed is the input side picks up my Mobile phone when I am away from wifi and it is syncing mail with 4G. No big deal really One reason I like a little range is if I ever get someone to join me that does not have a MD they can also listen with my extra walkman and dollar store ear buds.

Ear buds are Etymotic Research.. older model that has been discontinued.. Etymotic Research, Inc. - High-fidelity Earphones, Headsets and Hearing Instrumentation
Receiver is a small walkman..
These are the buds I use, the current $100 model have better wires than mine.. Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•6i Isolator Earphones

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh yeah you can expect the mobile phone to affect it when it starts chatting to the local cell tower :) Kleer does not make them anymore but the Auvio 33-284 I bought years ago is what I use. They ever break down and I'll take them apart and see if I can't make a working model. For a do it yourselfer I appreciate your post ;) The question always comes up about going wireless and anymore its always Bluetooth this and Bluetooth that and there always seems to be the lag problem with that tech.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread