DIY Jet Question?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK now I know this will probably not be recieved well but I'm trying to put together a home made suction jet to feed a highbanker and don't have alot of expendable cash right now. As the picture shows I have a pvc 2x2x2 inch sweeping Y which I thought should work better at directing the water flow up pipe if you know what I mean. I believe I should reduce the water inlet diameter but dont know what diameter to use. I'm sure I can come up with some sort of hame made reducer ring to insert into the Y before threading the barbed fitting into the Y. I planned on using a piece of 2"pvc to form a conon on the out put feeding the highbanker. Length is still a question.

Questions

What size to reduce water inlet from 2" pressure line?

How long should or can the out put pipe be to the highbanker?

Recomended length of suction hose?

Can I use regular suction hose for pressure line also?

jet conon.jpg

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Hunter I think the angle in which the water enters the tube affects the suction I thought about doing the same thing and just broke down and bought a 2 1/2 inch jet it will be here thurs.If you watch ebay you might get one cheap or go to Keenes web site the 2 inch jet is $85.00 some things are better bought than made.Hopefully someone can give you the specs to one and you can build it.You can use a suction nozzle and wont have to worry about being in shallow water.
Happy Hunting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the angle of the water "into" the line is only for Jets and not for suction nozzels like he wants. he used the wrong words in refering to what he has (picture) straight in works fine(most are this way) the reducer inside of your nozzel really depends on the pump your useing.some high pressure pumps will work but not very good to move the water up any real height up hill for highbanking.if you can unscrew that barb fitting ,try a 3/4 inch restricter inside. if it isnt emough unscrew it and go 5/8 and try that but like i said, it depends on the pump your useing.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the angle of the water "into" the line is only for Jets and not for suction nozzels like he wants. he used the wrong words in refering to what he has (picture) straight in works fine(most are this way) the reducer inside of your nozzel really depends on the pump your useing.some high pressure pumps will work but not very good to move the water up any real height up hill for highbanking.if you can unscrew that barb fitting ,try a 3/4 inch restricter inside. if it isnt emough unscrew it and go 5/8 and try that but like i said, it depends on the pump your useing.

now that we are all on the same page russau is right I have 4IN for moving overburden like he is describing check out this page it shows what you want good luck post some pics when done Home Made Dredge Plans and Photos

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hopfully not to confuse things even more...... what I'm trying to do is build a DIY jet (not a nozzle) which would feed directly into the hopper of a highbanker. In the pix the PVC pipe would stop at the hopper. The whole thing would have to be mounted on the HB'er. Somewhere I saw a video of a factory design like I'm describing and I'm sure it was called a "canon"of some sort. By design the pressure water would enter the on the curved part of the Y hopefully creating suction toward the canon and into hopper. A suction hose would connect to the second barbed fitting on opposite end and inline with outlet. Russau the barbed fittings are threaded and I can make different size reducers to insert in the inlet Y fitting then thread the barbed fitting in place. All in all I'm only out the cost of the fittings which is less than $15. The suction hose would be useable for any future DYI's or factory accessories I may end up purchasing when I get tierd of trying to DIM (do it myself). I'm gonna pick up some hose and give it a shot. I've never done video's here but will try but pix's may have to do.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found the factory combo I was talking about and I'm guessing what I'm attempting will not work. The Angus MacKirk Super Combo Highbanker uses a suction nozzle not a jet to pump dredged material into the hopper. Another issue would be lose of suction since my AO has always been shallow water one to three feet depth. May be able to use the Y and fittings to build a nozzle who knows I'll see what I can come up with. I got more time than money anyway and if it doesn't move more material than diggin then I guess I'll just have to keep diggin. LOL

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try using the parts you have just put the pressure line into the strait end on my 4 inch I used a 1 1/4 adapter to 3/4 then to 1/2 I just drilled the 1/2 untill I got the suction I wanted I will try and get a pic up for you to see.I can out shovel my 2 inch but add 3 feet of water and I want a nozzle.Just easier

CIMG0110.jpg CIMG0111.jpg CIMG0117.jpg The first pic is of the jet opening
The second is of the hose conection the third shows nozzle with 3 inch reducer

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll got me thinkin now...... I'm gonna make something work. Thanks !! I'll post it when I get it workin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread