DIY Plastic sluice construction?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read somewhere on this forum where a bazooka style (fluid bed) sluice was made using ABS plastic. From this I thought "Why not a small stream sluice?" I was thinking about cutting and gluing up the pieces with, maybe, a spreader/stabilizer or two and maybe some other reinforcement to maintain its shape and integrity. Is there anyone who can weigh in with their experience in working with ABS sheets and the feasibility of such a project? I have some Gold Hog mat material that I would use in this project. I could also use some suggestions for sources for the ABS sheet.

Upvote 0

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
It needs to be constructed in a way as to be supported and reinforced to keep it from warping in the sun. It is black and a trip in a p/u to the river in July might twist it up good.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I enjoy coming up with new concepts and then developing
them into usable mining tools, in this case I would conclude that
there's no reason to put the time and effort into producing an item
that is already available commercially, and sold at very reasonable prices.

Drop Riffle ABS Sluice Box 10" x 39"

If you wanted to do it as an exercise, the ABS sheeting can be
bought through Amazon, eBay, etc., and then use one of the
plastic welding epoxies to hold it together.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the suggestions. I normally have no need for a sluice but I do have some Gold Hog matting so I will make one either from wood or ABS. Just thinking ABS is much lighter and may suit my limited use purposes as long as it is feasible for such a project.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive been using ABS plastic for my sluices for some time now.i use a heat gun to allow the plastic to bend. I did try bending it cold in a small brake and it had slight cracks on the edges. but I app lied a small amount of ABS adhesive to the very edge and it made the cracks disappear. ABS has tobe bent slowly to minimize this cracking but it gives a good edge to your sluices.i also use this to maske my flaired sluices also.its 1/2 the cost and weight of alum.when the ABS adhesive cures (over night) itll never come apart!!!

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive been using ABS plastic for my sluices for some time now.i use a heat gun to allow the plastic to bend. I did try bending it cold in a small brake and it had slight cracks on the edges. but I app lied a small amount of ABS adhesive to the very edge and it made the cracks disappear. ABS has tobe bent slowly to minimize this cracking but it gives a good edge to your sluices.i also use this to maske my flaired sluices also.its 1/2 the cost and weight of alum.when the ABS adhesive cures (over night) itll never come apart!!!
Thanks! I guess I will have to try it.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
just bend it slowly or itll crack bad! some I have heated with a heat gun to bend, but only if I have it in a sheetmetal brake. I prefer just bend it cold and slow.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowes Invisaflow (steathflow)

huu.jpg

$6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread