diy small scale ore feeder

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always on the search for less hand work more machine. I want to feed my small orbital mill without handplopping in each chunk or scoop. The size would be 3" minus. I can do basic welding make a hopper etc just wondering how to rig the feed mechanism. Something like a rotating disc at the bottom? Does anyone have something they have done or know where plans can be found?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
How about using a small electric vibration device on a tilted ramp to feed the about you want to your other sluice. Turn up the vibration for more material and vice-versa to slow your feed down .You could also add some water to it to help keep it fluidized.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always on the search for less hand work more machine. I want to feed my small orbital mill without handplopping in each chunk or scoop. The size would be 3" minus. I can do basic welding make a hopper etc just wondering how to rig the feed mechanism. Something like a rotating disc at the bottom? Does anyone have something they have done or know where plans can be found?
Six inch auger

6 in. Diameter Auger Bit https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-diameter-auger-bit-63041.html?_br_psugg_q=augar

You may find a used auger bit at the recycle yard or better yet go with Craigs listing etc.

Plastic or steel pipe with a hopper and control the speed with an electric motor.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to point out that there are equipment / farm auctions that some nice augers can be found with hopers on them.

OP
OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about using a small electric vibration device on a tilted ramp to feed the about you want to your other sluice. Turn up the vibration for more material and vice-versa to slow your feed down .You could also add some water to it to help keep it fluidized.
Has to be dry for the orbital crusher but not a bad idea! I've used a variable tilt on just the bucket before and had it mounted where the vibration from the crusher itself would wiggle the rocks on down. Trouble was I kept having to adjust the tilt depending on how full the bucket was. Maybe a hopper onto a ramp like your saying would meter the flow better.

OP
OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to point out that there are equipment / farm auctions that some nice augers can be found with hopers on them.
Forgot about farm auctions. That would be a good spot there really isn't much mining equipment in my neck of the woods and what is out there is ancient. Thanks

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot about farm auctions. That would be a good spot there really isn't much mining equipment in my neck of the woods and what is out there is ancient. Thanks
Post a picture if you find a good auger:hello2::occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok here's the stupidly simple ore feeder strictly for bucket sampling which is mostly what I've been doing..... Drum roll please..... Yes it's a 2x4 screwed together to tip the bucket at the right angle that the natural vibration of the crusher causes the ore to drop in. When the crusher get's bogged down the vibration slows or stops and the magic bucket stops feeding. Works pretty dang well. The height for the right feed is ore dependent and wet ore doesn't work but for what I'm doing it's good enough for now. Did get a harbor freight drill and small auger for feeding the shaker table but am still working the kinks out of that.

Attachments

• Ore Feeder.mp4
    5.8 MB

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
You would be surprised at what you could find at auctions . I was at one about 8 years ago and found a partial roll of the belting that ( I forgot the name of it) (well I'm getting older !) but it is used on a lot of concentrating sluices and I didn't get the win for it BUT I talked to the guy that did win it and they didn't want that belt but they did want what everything else that they won and I got that partial roll of belting REAL CHEAP and it made my day Aswell as the other guy that won the bid ! Everyone won that day !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread