OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Thanks for the heads up Sniffer, it's appreciated.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use auto watering system at least 4 times a day ... or have drip irrigation from 5-Gal bucket ... mix in fertilizer. Friend used 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 garden soil mix; best though, if you can afford it, use all potting soil. Peppers work ok too. Put something in bottom of bucket for drainage, and add filler moss or something to hold water in bottom half of soil mix. Otherwise, it dries out like concrete.
Have you ever been to Disney World in Fla ... chain drive hydroponic plant growing line with nutrient sprayed onto roots was way out there.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I've talked to several people & none of them had any success with the 'topsy turvey'.
My wife found one for about $9 dollars at the end of last season & I'll try maybe 2
small hot pepper plants in it, but I'm not wasting any good 'mater' plants . I'll put
those in the ground or big containers the old fashioned way.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I had decent luck with one a few years back. If you are home most of the day to water them, they work fine. Otherwise you do need an automatic watering bulb.They need water often as the soil dries out fast in the sun,because of the small amount of soil or material. I would suggest using a sponge or other water retention substance to keep the roots moist. With a little ingenuity and experiment they should work great. I haven't used one in the lat few years. I also tried one with strawberries, it worked better than the one for tomatoes.I found that I could do just as good,with less work, by using a long rectangular planter, resting on a deck or porch.It holds more moisture and requires less watering.The only problem is that you will have to stake your tomatoes unless you use determinate tomatoes.Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I was thinking about the water retention, the gel you mix with soil to hold water is nothing more than the gel in UNUSED baby diapers.

My brother and his wife just had his first their first baby girl, I may see if she has outgrown any. I thought it would be a interesting project for my son and daughter.

If no tomato's grow, that's fine as we have a large garden. It will just be a cheap and easy project for the kids.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gel you are talking about is polymer. You can get a 45lb bag from about $50.00 I will have to find the name of the chemical plant.

That polymer works really well for planting for indoor plants, if you get any on a floor and it gets wet. Not only you have a slippery surface to break something if you fall, but it is also hard to clean up using a mop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions