Do coil protectors affect depth!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toymad said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if coil protectors are worth putting on. I am not sure if they would affect the depth.
finderzzs said:
No, but it'll keep you from wearing a hole in it. No depth loss.

Finderzzs is correct...... No loss of depth....

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i say yes! the loss of depth is equal to the thickness of your coil cover and the air gap between the coil cover and the coil itself.
i dont use one mainly because they are a pain to keep cleaned out! i coat my coils and it works great!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
i say yes! the loss of depth is equal to the thickness of your coil cover and the air gap between the coil cover and the coil itself.
i dont use one mainly because they are a pain to keep cleaned out! i coat my coils and it works great!!

I dont use one at the beach but do on land....With the coil cover you can get closer to the ground, even touching the ground as you sweep with out fear of scratching or damaging the coil on any rocks or trash on the ground so if anything you are gaining a tiny little depth unless your normally scraping the ground when you sweep..........

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I never use one... beach hunting, land hunting... doesn't matter. I scrub that coil on the ground like it's a brillo pad. My thinking is this... I can always buy a new coil. I can't always find what I missed by a fraction of an inch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
I never use one... beach hunting, land hunting... doesn't matter. I scrub that coil on the ground like it's a brillo pad. My thinking is this... I can always buy a new coil. I can't always find what I missed by a fraction of an inch.

Bobbypins, see your in Okinawa, I would love to return to there, was stationed there on Kadena durring the Nam war 68-70..... I use to walk the beach right off the runway looking for WWII artifacts.... CB was trying to get me to meet him there...... ;D

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:

Bobbypins, see your in Okinawa, I would love to return to there, was stationed there on Kadena durring the Nam war 68-70..... I use to walk the beach right off the runway looking for WWII artifacts.... CB was trying to get me to meet him there...... ;D

Yes sir... I work on Kadena as a contractor. Got a 2 year gig, and about 18 months of that left. Beautiful place, great ramen if you know where to find it, and lots of eye candy.

The beaches are loaded with great stuff, and I just scratched the surface up to this point. But rest assured... I'm gonna DOMINATE this place before I leave.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes! i am a coil scrubber!!!!! marty, you should meet badger over there! i would love to do that!!!!!!!!!!
chuck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:

Yes sir... I work on Kadena as a contractor. Got a 2 year gig, and about 18 months of that left. Beautiful place, great ramen if you know where to find it, and lots of eye candy.

The beaches are loaded with great stuff, and I just scratched the surface up to this point. But rest assured... I'm gonna DOMINATE this place before I leave.

I bet, CB told me you already were.....

When I was there I spent most of my spare time outside of Gate 2......BC street.... :laughing7: In 68-70 it was quite wild...... ;D

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:

When I was there I spent most of my spare time outside of Gate 2......BC street.... :laughing7: In 68-70 it was quite wild...... ;D
I can see the novelty of the Gate 2 area... but at age 37, I'm pretty much past those wild years of partying. Been there, done that... twice. I'm surprised I'm still alive with some of the crap I pulled back in the day. I should have been found in a ditch somewhere with a bullet hole to the back of my head for messing around with some dude's wife. Live and learn... and stay away from things that will get you in trouble. But I'll bet during the late 60s that things were a lot different then. I miss that old skool way of doing things.

I've never met CB in person. I've read his posts and I'm sure he's seen some of the things I've found... either from this site or the other one I use. I know he's a contractor like me, but I have yet to find out exactly where. If he's here... I'm sure I'll bump into him at some point. Great minds think alike and we'll surely wind up at the same place at the same time. The allure of gold keeps us pounding the sand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bobbypins said:

I can see the novelty of the Gate 2 area... but at age 37, I'm pretty much past those wild years of partying. Been there, done that... twice. I'm surprised I'm still alive with some of the crap I pulled back in the day. I should have been found in a ditch somewhere with a bullet hole to the back of my head for messing around with some dude's wife. Live and learn... and stay away from things that will get you in trouble. But I'll bet during the late 60s that things were a lot different then. I miss that old skool way of doing things.

I've never met CB in person. I've read his posts and I'm sure he's seen some of the things I've found... either from this site or the other one I use. I know he's a contractor like me, but I have yet to find out exactly where. If he's here... I'm sure I'll bump into him at some point. Great minds think alike and we'll surely wind up at the same place at the same time. The allure of gold keeps us pounding the sand.

CB was telling me about some of your posts that I missed, didn't mean you knew each other personally......... When I first went to Okinawa I was just shy of 20, young, single and wild....Beer was a nickle, fith of Chevis scotch was $1.20, fifth of Smiroff was .90cents......EVERYTHING on Okinawa was cheap.........

CB is from the same small town in Florida that I also grew up in, although we never knew each other then.....

Good luck hunting..... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread