DO I REALLY NEED TO WEAR HEADPHONES WHILE HUNTING?

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a White's GMZ, 50 KHz, SILENT SEARCH - no threshhold. It only beeps when I hit a target. When I bought it, I was advised that the headphones were a must. I see instructional vids and they say it's important, but those are units that produce a hum or threshhold sound while the user decipher some small change or zip sound. I only have to hear the one beep, which is more than loud enough. I'm not detecting around other people so I see no need for headphones. Am I missing something?

On a side note, picked up a Garrett Pin-pointer AT today, big time saver. Now I can find bullet casings and shrapnel in record time!

Upvote 0

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your analysis and conclusion are exactly consistent with my understanding of the need (or no need) for headphones. I have an ACE 350 and never hear any sounds other than a tone (three types) or no tone. Other factors are privacy, courtesy, etc.

And enjoy the PP; it's great.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Batteries last longer when you use headphones in lieu of the speaker on the detector.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you'll prefer using only one side, especially in areas where there rattlers, or around construction or vehicles etc. Phones help in noisy environments but the rest of the time it's what works for you!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Headphones allow you to hear a target with more detail. With my Whites machines, the leading and trailing edge of the signal have a lot of detail in them. I also evaluate the quality of the tone. You are listening for the signal to be filtered out or accepted by a circuit. I cannot imagine using the speaker audio.

I have always said that beginning detectorists should get a Tesoro, or other non-display machine, to start with so that you are forced to use your ears instead of looking at a display.

Of course, my first machine was an XLT...

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's no distinct tone. Just a beep when I cross a target.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may find that there is a "distinct" softer more variables in the tone with headphones; plus headphones, as mentioned, extend battery life and eliminate external, distracitng noise.
luvsdux

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only ever wear headphones when I think I may annoy others with noise.dont like em

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will find stuff without them and feels a little free'r not to have them on, but so much better to have them imo, for target separation,faint sounds,blocks out surrounding sounds,traffic or whatever.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Earbuds- no cord to the detector. Very slight tones are audible. I can hear the detector null out iron and then squeak on the side for a valuable target.

It's a personal preference of course. Work a very defined area without, then with. See what the difference is.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting without for a while on my ATPro. And that machine has now volume control so i thought i was doing okay for finds, until i put my headphones on. finds from the same area i have been hunting for a year and 2x the finds in the same area. I find its a better way to zone into the hobby. Sometimes i have 1 earbud with music in 1 ear and the other is beepbeep.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are not in All Metal with a constant audible threshold, then you don't need them - and you also don't mind leaving deep and small gold behind. You'll always go deeper and see smaller gold with an All Metal threshold, and good headphones.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all metal, silent search, only goes off when there's a target, only one sound, same volume every time. At 50KHz, I'm digging everything small and big. Pretty simple gold and everything else detector. I would wear my headphones if I were near anyone.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know from Whites. But if it is an alarm rather than an analog signal you may not get much advantage - but as mentioned earlier your batteries will last many times longer. My detectors give faint signals, and the Musketeer has many vowel or consonent sounds that help me determine tabs from nickels, etc. My Fisher uses a seperate set of circutis for the display vs the sound, so comparing both helps.

"eeEEEee" and "eeEEEek" mean different things. The latter is probably not a coin.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know from Whites. But if it is an alarm rather than an analog signal you may not get much advantage - but as mentioned earlier your batteries will last many times longer. My detectors give faint signals, and the Musketeer has many vowel or consonent sounds that help me determine tabs from nickels, etc. My Fisher uses a seperate set of circutis for the display vs the sound, so comparing both helps.

"eeEEEee" and "eeEEEek" mean different things. The latter is probably not a coin.

mine just goes beep, same beep every time, same volume every time.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been detecting for 40 + years and the only times i ever wear head phones .......is with the excalibur water detector and the reason for that is i have to ..For they are hard wired to the detector .. On land detectors in my 40+ years never used head phones never had the need or fell for the hype that i needed them ... But they know how to sell you things you do not need.. And make you think you need them

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kool, I wear HP to keep others from annoying me.:laughing7:
Marvin
I just point at my phones and tell the herd of kids in parks I can't hear you. I get the giggles when a little guy'll stand there yelling "Whatcha doin?" at the top of his lungs until he's horse. If they're really persistent I'll tell em I'm electrocuting the worms. Just one of those gotta have fun with it things! :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread