Do I really want to detect this?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what I said to myself when I noticed they had the the old football field dug up. Before it was a football field this site was where some very old homes once stood. There were pieces of red brick and broken pottery all over the place. We had just recently received anywhere from 3" to 6" of rain and this field was not scraped, but dug up and leveled out. The mud looked very deep so I put on my boots and went in (halfway up to my knees.) I think I'll have to wait for it to dry up a little before I go back. I was only able to detect along the edge of the dirt but did manage to find a lowly Barber dime before the rains started in again.

Attachments

• 061106 003.jpg
    061106 003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 435
  • 061106 005.jpg
    061106 005.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 061106 006.jpg
    061106 006.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice barber! Looks like your weekend was just as good as mine! Even though i didnt find any old coins. :D

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Very nice find. Definately search it. I would guess you will find a bit of stuff there. You may be right though, wait till it dries up a little.

There is an area that I just spotted where they are building a new mall near me. I didn't get to the property in time but it used to be open farm land and, I think, was owned by the Catholic Church for many years since that. They sold it along with other, since developed land, about 5 or 6 years ago. On the corner of the property was an old homestead that was very overgrown with trees and brush. Probably abandoned for 50 years or more. You could barely see in there yet alone go walking (bushwhacking) in. For years, I had thought of trying to find who owned the land and going in to search it. Then, one day, I drove by and there was a sign, Opening Summer 2008... or something like that and the whole property had been bulldozed, fenced and posted. :(

Just drove by there the other day and they have about 8' width and about 40' long of roadside cleared and buldozed next to where they installed traffic lights at the entrance. The area is a very major street and I am thinking of going out there and detecting the bare dirt alongside the road. Have some work to finish though before going out of town but hopefully can get to it before they do something like pave over it. Thinking right now, I bet it is a right turn lane that they are going to be putting in.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a heartbeat detect it.Concentrate on the sidelines(or near where they once were) and also wherever the bleachers may have been.Ha-Ha,a lowly barber that's funny! :) good luck and H.H.-diggummup

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would. what do you got to lose, nothing really. go for it

M

mchamby

Nice Barber that alone makes for a good day. Too bad you don't know where they moved the dirt to, I bet you would find alot. HH
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread