Do individual clear rolls EVER cough up silver?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been hitting a lot more banks the last few weeks, where I don't have accounts. I'll go downtown and stop at five or six banks within a two block walking area, picking up $40** in dimes at each stop.

(
**$40 seems to be the sweet-spot where they'll almost always just give it to you without asking if you have an account, or guilt-tripping you about how much the rolls cost them, or otherwise attempting to make you feel like a freakshow).

Most of the banks around here are Loomis, so that's what I mostly get. But I've come across a few now that have the clear plastic rolls (Brinks? IDK). To probably no one's surprise, these have not been turning up any results for me. However, I've only done $160 worth so far.

I've seen posts and pics of people getting silver out of unopened boxes of these clear rolls. But once the box is open and we're talking loose individual rolls... has anyone ever managed to get one from a teller that had a white rim showing through? I figure that the only way would be if the teller opened a fresh box on the spot AND wasn't a silver sniper. Otherwise, a roll with silver in it would have to contend with every single employee who has access to the coin area. Seems likely there'd be at least one sniper at every branch.

Does that sound right? Should I just ditch these clear-roll banks and focus more on the banks with paper rolls? Or have any of you reliably found silver this way?

Upvote 0

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my best dime scores was from an opened box. I asked for a box of dimes and the teller only had $210 in an opened box. I did not want to have send her to the vault as they were busy so I just took those. It produced 1 merc and 5 rossies. They can produce every once in a while.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Plenty of silver in the clear wrapped rolls. I hunt them almost exclusively as I'm too lazy. Search through my past posts and you'll find my cigar box. The photo is a couple of years old so I've added plenty more. You'll see plenty of the rims that aren't bright silver.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run into the clear rolls occasionally and look forward to them. They can definitely produce for you. And here's the thing to keep in mind when picking up loose rolls: some tellers just have no clue about silver so if its in the roll, you get it. The more you hunt, you will learn which tellers are clueless and which are snipers. One way to learn this is by asking for halves and large dollar coins. When a teller gives you a 64 Kennedy, you know that teller isn't going to pay attention to a white edged dime in a clear roll. Another tip you could try is ask for $100 in dimes as they keep them in racks of $100 and its an easy transaction that they are less likely to say no than if you ask for a box. If they can spare them they usually will, or offer you a lesser amount. It's better to get the bigger volume if you can.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the silver can be found in Brinks. My last dime box from them yielded four Rosies.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a word of advice, I find I save a lot on gas by getting over the hump of asking for a lot of coin. If I'm doing BWR, I get at least a box. If I'm doing CWR, I try to get them all. a lot of times they'll actually like this because they tend to accumulate and they're stuck counting them

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just still skittish about doing that I guess. I feel like at a lot of banks I'd get marked as the crazy coin guy and wouldn't be able to pick up there any more. I'm sure there are a few banks where I could do that but I need to feel things out for a while and see which ones they are. I pick up $100-$200 per week at each branch of my main pickup bank. Might have to open one more account, I guess, to get some more options.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one bank today they asked me if I had a business account (when I asked for $40 in dimes!) I told them no, and asked how many dimes I could get. She only sold me 2 rolls! And I'm assuming she thought I had a personal account there - probably wouldn't have sold me any if she knew I didn't even have an account.

It was probably not a coincidence that this was also the only bank I went in to today that had ZERO customers in it at 11:45am on a business day.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost track of the amount of dimes I've looked at in the last six years, has to be close to $200K. Once I found a thin silver dime in a clear roll, a merc. That's it. I've avoided Brinks boxes for years now.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another tip: When you go in looking for dimes, ask if they would trade their cwr for your already searched cwr. I started doing this when I lost a coin machine dump bank and it has proven pretty successful for me. To do this you need to mark your rolls so you don't get them back. Doing this will definitely get you pegged as the crazy coin guy, but that's ok, because you are the crazy coin guy. Newer hunters sometimes feel funny doing stuff like this but you get over it and you get what you want. It doesn't matter what the tellers think, as long as they work with you. It's better to do this at banks you do have an account with.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I do clear wrapped dime boxes my finds are significantly less than paper wrapped ones but that may depend on the area you're in... Also I don't just skim through the rolls for the silver edge and not open the roll, I run all my coins through the coin machine and open all my dime rolls anyway, so it does not matter to me if I search brinks or another currier.
And i've never had a roll cough up silver ;)
Good luck, it's out there..
HH
Buff

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line is some people have great luck and some have zero luck with clear. Like fistfull, I have no luck with clear wrappers. The few I've found (in thousands of rolls) were not spotted edge searching. Some people will swear that no one is pulling silver from rolls. The fact of the matter is some machine is rejecting them or someone is pulling them for SOME regions. Because I find an occasional silver that can't be spotted from the edge, I believe someone is pulling them. You probably won't find YOUR answer here or by looking at $160 in plastic rolled dimes. My suggestion is to take what you can get for now. Ask for a box (at least). Be polite but speak confidently. Dress well and act confident. I bet you'll find banks willing to give you boxes and far exceed what you're searching right now. Even if one says no, go back another day. After looking at maybe 500 rolls (10 boxes), you can start to make some kind of conclusion to whether clear wrappers produce in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread