Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an XP Deus, its not quite out of warranty yet, but I have done a bang up job getting scratches from digging, digging, and digging. So, yes I could send it in and have a new screen put on, but I'm lazy. So I got some standard Meguiar's Basic Headlight Restoration Kit (for car headlights), and having successfully used it on a car, took it to the Deus.

The first picture is the badly scratched lens, so bad sometimes I can't read it. DSCN0416.JPG I followed the directions and used four pads, in order, dampened and it removed a micro thin layer of the hard plastic lens. I had put black duct tape around the edges I didn't want to either wet or sand. DSCN0417.JPG DSCN0418.JPG DSCN0419.JPG

I went through pad #1, 2, 3 and 4. Each pad has a different grit and you can see the plastic slurry on this picture, you wipe it off. DSCN0420.JPG

The polish is applied with one drop of it and the orange microfiber cloth.

The last picture is the final result. It worked well, I did leave a couple scratches at the edges I didn't care about but it is now quite readable. I could make it PERFECT, but don't care to because I'll just scratch it up and do the repair again next year. DSCN0421.JPG

Final result. I only worked on it maybe 15 minutes. DSCN0422.JPG

IF YOU HAVE A MACHINE WITH A FLEXIBLE LENS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS. You will have to send that back to the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason my Nox came with like 50 different screen protectors in different languages. Thank goodness for pictrures as I cant read nothing on the protector lol. That plastic scratch remover is ok stuff. There are other like items that work also.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll just have to buy more screen protectors. Those (built in) screens aren't sturdy enough plastic to do this on the Equinox series. Once the plastic itself goes icky, you will have to send it back to Minelab. I wore out my Deus screen protector a couple years ago. If you seriously detect, ruining the screen protectors is a given. Buy some spares.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who is tough on his equipment and its holding up well. I try to hunt every day but am very careful with my detector. I do have a few dozen so Im good till the next Minelab comes out lol.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it won't work on those flimsy screens.

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to work in an auto salvage yard. We used that technique to make yellow headlights into “insurance quality “. We just bought our chemicals in bulk from local body shop.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the Deus has a hard plastic case, I figured all the worst I could do was ruin it. It didn't ruin it, worked like a champ, but won't work on those soft touchscreens. Screen protectors only go so long, especially if you go at it like I do.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Smokey ,thanks my screen is a constant struggle to read.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick and inexpensive too.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice screen restoration! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread