Do most of you see other people detecting when youre out ?....

Nah,not so much others seeing us but us seeing them. Of course now that I'm into this hobby seriously I have occasionally in driving by a spot mistaken men with weedeaters as people honing in on my spot,haha.

Old Dude
I would also be honored to hunt with you too!
I live way out in the woods on 50 acres, with two friendly Pitbulls, and have a spear room and have invited a lot of hunters to come vacation/hunt with me.....so if you ever get up this way or want to plan something i`m always ready.
We can hunt about 6000 acres of old home still standing,cellar holes ,fields,cabin sites,Indian sites, cut and plowed fields.
Gary

nope rarely see anyone MD'ing but if a beeper drives by and sees me - a few have stopped and asked me where the Beale Treasure is located! *L*
Some idiots assume because I have permission on a private property - they do too. And I've met two from west coast that do 'night hunting'.
so short answer - NO!~

In the late 70's my friend and I never saw another person with a MD... In the last year I know 4 people that have new ones and have seen 4 others out detecting in my small town...

Last month on a road trip, I saw a dude hunting an old home outside of Fredericksburg, VA, I think it was on Route 17. I wanted so bad to stop and say wassup, see if he was a Tnet member, etc, but wifey gave me the stinkeye, told me to keep driving

Do most of you see other people detecting when you're out ?....

In the TX Hill Country counties I detect in, I have only seen three other people using a detector...

One was a surveyor looking for a pin...

The other two instances were hunters who were employed by the Texas Historical Commission and was on historically/culturally significant sites.

Other than that, I've never seen another detectorist, seen evidence of a place being hunted before, or even talked to a third party who "knows someone" who metal detects.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:
Only a few occaasions have I seen other hunters...But I have been to places where I hunted it early in the morning and went back the next morning to see "others" had been there.

About 80% of the good places I find, I walk up and see hundreds of holes everywhere...Here n the DFW, You gotta be the first to hit a spot or it will be bombarded by others . Its survival of the fittest here!

I know there are ones out there detecting here but i have only seen about 8 people detecting in the last 40 years … Even after all those crap detecting shows on TV i still never see any one detecting … And Them 8 or so i saw i never saw them when i am detecting … Just when i was driving around … But if i hit the fresh water beaches i do run in to others but never inland detecting.. All these years i have been detecting and when inland detecting never saw another person detecting…Just lucky i guess …

I ran into only one other detectorist so far and he didn't even have a detector at the time.
He explained that he's been doing it since 1960 and tried to get me to join a detecting club which I declined. Just not into the whole "organized group" thing at all.

Other than that one time I've never run into anyone else detecting.

The only time I seem to see other people detecting are the times I went to the beach to detect.Needless to say I dont bother going to the beach anymore:laughing9:

I hardly every see land/park hunters exept after (and during) festivals. They tell me they search in the early morning before dawn, but I can never get up that early.

Most beach hunters go during low tide, so a few can be at a beach during the same hours.

I avoid people ... as if they have the plague.
Mding is "My time ... My peace ... My "Zen".

If I did not "go with you OR vise versa"... then I do not wanna talk to you :P heh

If I am NOT detecting... IE: taking a break...
then a simple quick "hey hows it going" will do.

I hate all the questions when I am in my "mode".

I look at is like this...
If I see someone doing "yoga" on the beach...
I am not gonna walk up and be like... "hey did you find any Zen " ?
"how do you like that Yoga mat"?
"etc" "etc."... "insert more etc here"

NO OFFENSE - But... If you see me... Please... give me my MD space...
We can "talk" after. :P

If I did not "go with you OR vise versa"... then I do not wanna talk to you :P heh

I kind of wondered why there seems to be such a need for hunting together for some, as soon as the headphones go on one is basically alone once again.

ARRC your bang on with how it is and the way it should be, time to reflect, no pressure.

I have a habit of always shaving before I go out detecting, wife asked one time WHY? Simple dear I have to look good for the squirrels. :) I find the animals and birds don't chat a whole lot and basically leave me to enjoy the moment.

100% agree. My MDing time is mine and is usually very limited as I am a busy guy. No time for chit-chat. If I had a dollar for every fool who asks if I am finding any gold, I could probably buy an oz or two. 8-) Although I did get a kick out of a jogger the other day who came upon me digging. Apparently he did not see my equipment and ran up saying, "Oh my god, are you OK?" He must of thought I was on the ground having a stroke or something. Big laugh over that one, good to know there's at least 1 good samaritan left out there. HH:thumbsup:

I know that "stink eye" brutha!! It sends chills up and down my spine and makes my sphincter flutter!!:laughing7:
Last month on a road trip, I saw a dude hunting an old home outside of Fredericksburg, VA, I think it was on Route 17. I wanted so bad to stop and say wassup, see if he was a Tnet member, etc, but wifey gave me the stinkeye, told me to keep driving

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back