Do tellers really know coins?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up 2 dime boxes yesterday atone of the five banks nearby that I use. This young girl teller who knows that I hunt for silver in the dimes asked me, "do you save these kind of coins too?". With that , she opens her drawer and pulls out a big coin. I happen to glance at it and saw a white rim while she was still getting it out. I'm thinking, "might it be, could it be, ASE, Ike, Peace, or: Wow, it's a 1880 Morgan". She ask do I want it, and naturally I said yes I'll take it off your hands. How much do you want for it? She replys One Dollar. With that I paid for my two dime boxes plus $1. Do tellers really know about coinage, OR just don't care since it's just part of their job. Walked out with a silver smirk on my face. Coin is in fair/good condition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pic of Morgan

image-3974909205.jpg

Attachments

• image-3285133413.jpg
    image-3285133413.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 122

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up 2 dime boxes yesterday atone of the five banks nearby that I use. This young girl teller who knows that I hunt for silver in the dimes asked me, "do you save these kind of coins too?". With that , she opens her drawer and pulls out a big coin. I happen to glance at it and saw a white rim while she was still getting it out. I'm thinking, "might it be, could it be, ASE, Ike, Peace, or: Wow, it's a 1880 Morgan". She ask do I want it, and naturally I said yes I'll take it off your hands. How much do you want for it? She replys One Dollar. With that I paid for my two dime boxes plus $1. Do tellers really know about coinage, OR just don't care since it's just part of their job. Walked out with a silver smirk on my face. Coin is in fair/good condition.

She sounds attractive

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Super find! Interesting how the front is grimy and back is exceptional!
I hope she keeps producing ;-)
Wicka

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some do know and snipe, some do know and dont care and pass on to those customers they have a good relatuonship with, and some dont know and will give away like you found to good customers
Thats why its imperative to have really good relationships with your tellers if you want finds like this-
Hope you reward her with cookies/donuts or a gift card or something nice

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that teller didn't know her coins. Good for you, I'd be being real nice to her! :laughing7:

If you work a cash register, and have any kind of a clue, you know and see. There's a look and feel to them, you all know it. I used to handle so many coins, on smoke breaks, you could taste the metal through the cig.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dozer, I think most of my tellers that just hand it over, simply don't know their coins. They may have a vague idea that some coins are silver but its just too complicated for them to know which is which. Only really smart, coin experts can tell. When you can spot a nice silver rim in their tray and ask for that coin with the "white" rim, and they just hand it over, this person doesn't know coins. I have certain tellers that just always hand it over and I try to make them feel like they are just the hottest ladies I have ever seen, and my coin hobby is just an excuse to come in and chat them up. Seems to work out for me and I think they like my obvious enthusiasm and friendliness I show them. Also, some of them are really hot and it is a pleasure to come in and chat them up.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if they have any of the "large, older dollar coins". Once I had a teller pull a small stack out of her utility drawer - it was hand-wrapped in lined notebook paper and labeled "silver". Unfortunately the only coins inside were clad Ikes. I bought them anyway.

Just goes to show there's the tellers that know that they know, and the ones that don't know that they don't know, and the ones who think they know but don't really know.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Dozer, I think most of my tellers that just hand it over, simply don't know their coins. They may have a vague idea that some coins are silver but its just too complicated for them to know which is which. Only really smart, coin experts can tell. When you can spot a nice silver rim in their tray and ask for that coin with the "white" rim, and they just hand it over, this person doesn't know coins. I have certain tellers that just always hand it over and I try to make them feel like they are just the hottest ladies I have ever seen, and my coin hobby is just an excuse to come in and chat them up. Seems to work out for me and I think they like my obvious enthusiasm and friendliness I show them. Also, some of them are really hot and it is a pleasure to come in and chat them up.

Agreed!
Most around here are college age. Purrrty ;-)
Wicka

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Some know, but can't buy from the line. Others have hubbys that are stackers. Then, there are those that can only get a two bucks for a 90% half down at the corner jeweler, so why bother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread