Do you ever keep a spot to yourself, and not share?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OH YA baby OH YA ..I have my secret spots that are mine and only mine.............

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are spots you "share" and "spots" you don't .

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time it probably ended up that way was my first year when I had sites right out my back door. It was never about trying to keep them to myself, I was just there every day so it soon got to the point where there wasn't that much to find. I also didn't really get how good it was .... and this is so stupid.... I was leaving them at times to go hunt at the park! The last 9 years or so I have never held back a site or idea no matter how good, thinking I would get there myself someday. I did make some pretty good finds that first year but the memories just don't seem as good having been alone. Well maybe good, but different.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The only time it probably ended up that way was my first year when I had sites right out my back door. It was never about trying to keep them to myself, I was just there every day so it soon got to the point where there wasn't that much to find. I also didn't really get how good it was .... and this is so stupid.... I was leaving them at times to go hunt at the park! The last 9 years or so I have never held back a site or idea no matter how good, thinking I would get there myself someday. I did make some pretty good finds that first year but the memories just don't seem as good having been alone. Well maybe good, but different.
Yep.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I agree with Iron Patch, it is much better to do with a partner. I hunt with my brother mainly, and I will share a spot if its big enough for more than the two of us to hunt without looking like metal detectorists are taking over the world. So I would say for me it mainly depends on the size of the spot, but if it is a very large field or something than I am more than happy to share.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I share my spots its the right thing to do with guys I hunt with regularly. I'm sure they will pay me back with future spots. :wink: Now there is 2 guys I took one time and they did okay and told me they would bring me along to one of there spots but after 6 months the invite has yet to come. They will never get a invite from me. I agree its more fun hunting with partners. I get just as excited if they find something good as I do when I do. Took a buddy last weekend and he found a late 1700's large cent and I was pumped for him his oldest coin to date.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say if you got a good site keep it to yourself. You can allways hunt with your partner at the tot lot or a park. None of my hunting spots were a big secret. There were others detecting in the areas I hunt. I take my detecting partner when he can go and he didn't like the woods much. I also have places
I go to alone and haven't seen anyone else there detecting at all and haven't found much. :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:

yep Ivan 's got it right :icon_thumright:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the words of that old Jack Greene song, "ALLLLLLLLLLL The Time. Yes darlin, allllllllll the time." :sign10: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live, there's about ten of us that are always up for a good hunt.
Each person has one or two close friends within the group they usually
hunt with at different site locations and when one of our "mini" groups starts
hitting the good stuff, word will spread like wildfire and by the end of the
day, there will probably be 6 or 7 of us hunting the same site. All is good
though. . . everyone reciprocates :wink:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
remember that you can never get it all no matter how hard you try

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tank69 said:
ivan salis said:

Like i said i will go along with Ivan & Tank 69 & Shortstack, If i have a a place were i am pretty sure of a hord or catch something big "" Call me greedy or what you want but they are mine i tell no one "" I don't come on here and sweet talk like i am a nice guy and say I'd never do that nope .. I'm not that nice and don't pretend to be ..........I hunt with with my buddies when we go some were we might find some silver coins or just for fun but when it comes down to the big important hunts that's mine alone............ I'll take a family member with me but no one else.

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Keppy said:
Tank69 said:
ivan salis said:

Like i said i will go along with Ivan & Tank 69 & Shortstack, If i have a a place were i am pretty sure of a hord or catch something big "" Call me greedy or what you want but they are mine i tell no one "" I don't come on here and sweet talk like i am a nice guy and say I'd never do that nope .. I'm not that nice and don't pretend to be ..........I hunt with with my buddies when we go some were we might find some silver coins or just for fun but when it comes down to the big important hunts that's mine alone............ I'll take a family member with me but no one else.
I am with you guys call me greedy to but the big ones are mine..I don't need or want help on them.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I hunt with one partner and generally this is not something I worry about...
But there was a time when I was in Spain when I literally walked onto a Napoleonic battle site,
and started digging buttons and musket balls right away..
Since it was a long way from home, I talk to 2 of my friends that I hunted with at the time and took them there...
We found a bunch of stuff, then I found out that one of the guys started taking all his "friends"
there also, and within 2 years 40 people knew of the site...
When I went back after 2 years you could not hardly find scrap...
and we had taken unexploded cannon balls from this place.. (one of my friends said 40-50)
There were several nice buckles that came out of this place, tons of buttons, rifle parts.
I did not get much.

It made me angry so many people knew of my place and this is where they would all go.....
until after 5 years no one went because there was nothing being found...
Now I am very careful about real good spots I find and hold them only for me and my partner...

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
People talk about getting burned all the time. What I don't understand is why don't you get it straight with the property owners first? Ask to be the only one. You hear people crying about others in there spot, but surely they can't just walk up and not get permission? (I'm sure some do.)

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
nyiangelo said:
People talk about getting burned all the time. What I don't understand is why don't you get it straight with the property owners first? Ask to be the only one. You hear people crying about others in there spot, but surely they can't just walk up and not get permission? (I'm sure some do.)
I'm sure that most places we are talking about there is no let's say property owners. and there are places that the owner lets you hunt but he has so much land he don't know if some one else is even there. If you have a good place keep it to your self.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best hunting that I have ever had was at a place that a friend took me to. He had all the ground work done and we found a huge campsite about half way through the day. I have never been greedy with sites but a couple of times I had wished I had.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Well I hunt with one partner and generally this is not something I worry about...
But there was a time when I was in Spain when I literally walked onto a Napoleonic battle site,
and started digging buttons and musket balls right away..
Since it was a long way from home, I talk to 2 of my friends that I hunted with at the time and took them there...
We found a bunch of stuff, then I found out that one of the guys started taking all his "friends"
there also, and within 2 years 40 people knew of the site...
When I went back after 2 years you could not hardly find scrap...
and we had taken unexploded cannon balls from this place.. (one of my friends said 40-50)
There were several nice buckles that came out of this place, tons of buttons, rifle parts.
I did not get much.

It made me angry so many people knew of my place and this is where they would all go.....
until after 5 years no one went because there was nothing being found...
Now I am very careful about real good spots I find and hold them only for me and my partner...

You only made one mistake. They were not your friends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread