Do You Expect Change Sir?

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I worked as a pizza delivery person for a little while when I was younger, and boy thats frustrating.
People don't comprehend that the drivers are using their own gas, putting the wear and tear on their own vehicle, and braving the elements to bring them their meal. I am totally amazed at how many jerks don't tip the pizza guy!

You should always tip your pizza guy $2.00 minimum. If the order took too long or something was wrong with it, probably not the drivers fault, don't punish him!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My youngest son worked as a waiter during his college years frankly because we couldn't pay all his expenses. He was a good waiter and many regulars always asked to be seated in his section. Every now and then a group of eight or ten people from out of town would venture in and invariably although he worked his butt off for them would leave very little or no tip. He worked for minimum wage and tips that he had to divide with all the other waiters after work. Knowing this some of his customers would leave a small tip on the table and stuff a ten or twenty into his pocket when he walked by. Believe me he was eternally grateful as the extra bucks sure helped . If I am aware that they have to divide their tips I tend to tip well even though the service was not all that great. There is however a difference between poor service and just plain rudeness. I have met some really rude waiters and waitresses and I have seen several really rude customers, so it goes both ways. I will not patronize a place that adds the tip or gratuity in automatically. Monty

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
jeff of pa said:
Once I orderd an Ice cream, for desert, Let it Melt all over the counter,
threw 50 cents in the mess, for a tip.

My favorite is to throw a quarter in a glass of water, cover with a paper napkin and invert it on the table.

The napkin gets soaked so they can't use it to flip the glass upright without spilling water all over.

I only use this when the service is REALLY bad.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tip: When paying for a meal with your credit card and adding a tip to it, spell out the tip amount, even if it's zero. You won't believe how many times that line is filled in after you leave. Unless you study your cc bill, you'd never notice it. -Noodle

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Noodle said:
Tip: When paying for a meal with your credit card and adding a tip to it, spell out the tip amount, even if it's zero. You won't believe how many times that line is filled in after you leave. Unless you study your cc bill, you'd never notice it. -Noodle

Those restaurant cc receipts have a "total" line, a "tip" line, and a "grand total" line. Never leave one blank. Usually, on the "tip" line I write out the word "Cash" as I still prefer to leave a cash tip for a server, if they earned one. And I ALWAYS fill in the "grand total" line, whether I leave a cash or a cc tip. They have to submit the "grand total" to the credit card company. If you leave it blank, that is the modern equivalent of a "blank check."

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Remember, the waitress and waiter and delivery guys work for tips mostly. Usually at a lower wage than minimum.
If you want to leave a tip, try to do it with cash. If it is on a check or cc receipt, they will have to claim it on taxes.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
my wife believes, you always leave a tip, her reasoning, she wouldn't want to do that job, my answer, I didn't force them to be wait staff, I only leave a tip when the service warrants it.
if my waitress is talking to another employee within full view of my empty ice tea glass, and doesn't bother to ask if I need a refill, she can forget the tip.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
"I worked as a pizza delivery person for a little while when I was younger, and boy thats frustrating.

People don't comprehend that the drivers are using their own gas, putting the wear and tear on their own vehicle, and braving the elements to bring them their meal. I am totally amazed at how many jerks don't tip the pizza guy!

You should always tip your pizza guy $2.00 minimum. If the order took too long or something was wrong with it, probably not the drivers fault, don't punish him!"

In response to Cryptodave's post, there is a Chinese restaurant that is 2 blocks away from my house. I absolutely love their Kung Pao Chicken....so, about once every other week, I order delivery dinner from them. Well, about 8 months ago, the restaurant reprinted their menus and on the menu it now states that they in addition to the final cost of your delivery, they are tacking on a $1.00 fuel surcharge....because of the rise in gas prices! Whoa...wait a minute! This restaurant is literally 2 blocks away.....and I'm supposed to pay a $1.00 fuel surcharge? The vehicle is a company car!! It has their logo printed on the vehicle! And....then the driver wants a tip!! My wife got ticked at me for tipping him $1.00. I figure....I tip the pizza delivery guy (driving his own car) between $2 and $3. So, if this kid from the Chinese restaurant is driving a company car....not his personal car....and they are charging me a $1 "fuel surcharge".....that's $1 fuel surcharge plus $1 tip = $2. Wrong. The kid actually looked at me and told me angrily to keep my $1 tip. I said "fine"...and shut the door. Now, I know this sounds trivial....but....when the gas prices went down, did they drop the "fuel surcharge"?...nope So, to me, this is just another way of "taxing" me. I see now that airlines are starting to do this. Yet, these companies are posting record incomes!

Look, I worked in fast food myself while in college. I know what it is like. However, I tip because I feel "satisfied" with the service....not because I'm expected to....or because I'm being "taxed" unfairly. By the way, my city already has an established fast food tax of 4%..............so this restaurant has now deemed themselves above the established law to surpass the already established city food tax.....in the disguise of "fuel surcharge". And...then...to expect a tip!!!!!
----Mel

borninok

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a big tipper.

I will leave a tip, but I tip by the service I get.

I heard it said once, "I'm the customer and I'm not here to pay the salaries of those you hired." :coffee2:

OP
OP
S

stefen

The other day I patronized a sandwich shop known as TOGO's...basic 6", 12" or 36" subs with various choices of meat, cheeses and veggies.

I asked for a small (6 inch) Number 16 (trukey with avocado) on white bread...no mayo and just some olive oil, and just a little lettuce.

What kind of bread sir?

So I said, "You obviously were not listening, were you? White bread."

Yes sir. I was! (As she began to shovel on the mayo).

I said: 'Honey, I specifically asked for no mayo and just a little olive oil".

As she began to skin off the mayo...I stopped her and asked for a new peice of bread. (Told her I was allergic to mayo...really don't like the slimmy texture :))

Then she asked if I wanted the works as she was about to salt and pepper the meat and add peppers, onions, olives and an assundry of other garden variety greens.

I then said that all I wanted was a little lettuce and thats it with a exasperatedly raised voice.

The manager came over and wanted to know what the problem was so I gave her a blow by blow description of the workmanship and attention being paid by the hearing impaired employee.

She said that they were overworked and I should be more considerate.

I said: "Lady. You provide a product and service which should be first class as you advertize...listening to your customers needs is paramount, regardless of the circumstances." (although I wanted to scream something about the employees ear wax..)

I paid the bill for the exact amount and left with the sandwich in a brown paper bag.

Oh, and because of the lack of service and the attitude of the manager, I didn't leave a tip.

I'm now of the opinion that many of the fast food workers are like toddlers...if you give 3 instructions, they only remember the last 2 and everything preceeding drops off the memory conveyor...and most have that deer-in-the-headlight-stare.

Scary.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
and to think, these are the future leaders of this country.

That's really scary

Sniffer

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The schools no longer teach kids to count change back to the customer. That's one of the first things I learned in math since the dollar is base 10. I recently bought something at a fast food place and the amount was $1.58 as an example. I gave the girl two dollars and eight cents so I wouldn't get a bunch of pennies back. She did not have a clue how much change to give me. After about the third time she got it wrong, the manager came over and he couldn't do it either! The old guy behind me in line finally spoke up and told the manager I was right in the amount I should get back. Unbelievable. M ::) nty

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
I'm now of the opinion that many of the fast food workers are like toddlers...if you give 3 instructions, they only remember the last 2 and everything preceeding drops off the memory conveyor...and most have that deer-in-the-headlight-stare

It's sad to walk up to the counter at McDonalds and order a Big Mac and a large Coke. You watch the clerk punch in the Big Mac on the keyboard then look up at you with that blank look and say "What else did you want?".

I guess they only have one BB rolling around their head looking for the right hole to drop into.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Monty said:
The schools no longer teach kids to count change back to the customer. That's one of the first things I learned in math since the dollar is base 10. I recently bought something at a fast food place and the amount was $1.58 as an example. I gave the girl two dollars and eight cents so I wouldn't get a bunch of pennies back. She did not have a clue how much change to give me. After about the third time she got it wrong, the manager came over and he couldn't do it either! The old guy behind me in line finally spoke up and told the manager I was right in the amount I should get back. Unbelievable. M ::) nty

If your feeling sadistic and ornery sometime, give the cashier the odd change as Monty did and relish the moment while the cashier attempts to fumble her (or his) way in making change :thumbsup:

FLOYD MANN

Apr 16, 2003
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
If you really want to confuse a cashier: asK them if they take Hawaain ( or Alaskan! ) currency---invariably they say no or call the manager to ask THEM ! Ha Ha !! Don't do this if there are people waiting behind you !

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
Just for fun I picked up a couple of $2 bills at the bank.
I can't wait to hand them over to the register jockey at the fast food place.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the Hawaiian currency thing. Will try that as I live in Aloha, Oregon. :D
Most fast food folks here only speak Mexican.
Not the "Castillian" Spanish that I learned in high school.
I am afraid of saying my food is not to my liking in a restaraunt as they will gladly take it back and perhaps spit on it. I just never go there anymore.
A letter to the owner would be appropriate but I seldom do. Just tell my friends.
When everything is great, I usually leave 15%.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Its funny, I been having this happen to me alot. I'll usually leave a large tip especially if im eating alone and its a small bill, Then i'll generally tip 100%. But anyway last week at the bar the waitress came over and I ordered my drinks, it came to like 9 bucks for 3 beers so I handed her a 20, usually i'd walk over to the bar but it was packed and this way was alot easier so anyway she takes it then says (do you want change?) I dind't want to look like an ass in the bar and be like ya, since it was crowded but then my cousin turned to me and was like the registers only 10 foot away. I mean I would have tipped her well but 11 bucks for 3 beers? I still cant believe she had the nerve to ask if I wanted change. So yes, she made out with a 11 dollar tip on 3 beers and a 10 foot walk but I would have tipped her much more at the end of the night if she hadn't done that and for the rest of the night I walked to the bar. I really liked the one waitress, one night she thought the tip was too much and was refusing to accept it till I made her take it. Im sure most of us are willing to generously tip people like that more then those who expect one. Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I don't mind tipping, and since I found out that my niece, working her way through college, was only earning like $2.50 an hour plus tips as a cocktail waitress in a local Holiday Inn, I've become more generous. I don't mind tipping a Sonic waiter/waitress $1.00 for a $2.99 meal, if they bring it out complete. At least they've got a job and are trying to dig themselves out. It's the HIGH PRICED restaurants that get me. Adding on a "gratuity" at their set price, usually 15%, that I croak at. I should NEVER have to help them mandatorily pay their waiter/waitress salary. That galls me. Left on my own, I'd probably tip more, but when they set the rate, I'm done.

Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread