Do you guys hunt rail roads?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall a few years ago when a local guy was charged with riding the rails from one town to another. There was a minimum fine of $50.00.

The prosecutor said he was charged to send a message to people to not catch a ride on a train, as it was dangerous and so on. The judge said it wasn't much of a message, as the fine was cheaper than a bus ticket.

The RR police here are concerned with safety, and liability. They might give you a ticket, or leave a notice on a camper that you'd parked on their property, but I'd be astonished if they resorted to gun play. I guess we should count ourselves lucky.

I was stretching it a bit, but the police and the subsequent prosecution in the United States will punish you much more heavily for "trespassing", specifically on railways. I would not be surprised if terrorist charges were brought up for something as simple as medal detecting.

Canada, as you mentioned is nothing more than a slap on the wrist, mainly done so out of genuine concern for safety.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This must vary by jurisdiction, but NEVER detect on an active rail line.

What's wrong with wearing earphones on a railroad right-of-way, and looking down and not paying attention to what's going on around you?

PLENTY!!! Modern trains are much quieter and can suddenly appear seemingly out of nowhere even if you are alert. They can also lose cargo at speeds up to 60 mph, and if you catch it, you're done.

I had a very sobering conversation with a railroad foreman, bright guy and no BS. They really are concerned for our safety.

Respect that please.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
This must vary by jurisdiction, but NEVER detect on an active rail line.

What's wrong with wearing earphones on a railroad right-of-way, and looking down and not paying attention to what's going on around you?

PLENTY!!! Modern trains are much quieter and can suddenly appear seemingly out of nowhere even if you are alert. They can also lose cargo at speeds up to 60 mph, and if you catch it, you're done.

I had a very sobering conversation with a railroad foreman, bright guy and no BS. They really are concerned for our safety.

Respect that please.

It's a calculated risk that some individuals are willing to take.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a calculated risk that some individuals are willing to take.

For baubles? Well, try to be considerate of the coroner then.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around me less then half the rail lines that once were in use are still in use today. Of course I would never hunt a active rail road because they are private property also the danger factor. All of the rail lines that were abandoned long ago, the property they sat on went back to original track of land in witch it sat on or back into the hands of private citizen. At least in rural areas. I once was told originally when the government let the RR companies put lines through all over the country on everyone's property that was one of the stipulations was that if the company ever abandoned the line the ground was to go back to the land owner. Now a days that doesn't happen all of a sudden it's the government's.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around me less then half the rail lines that once were in use are still in use today. Of course I would never hunt a active rail road because they are private property also the danger factor. All of the rail lines that were abandoned long ago, the property they sat on went back to original track of land in witch it sat on or back into the hands of private citizen. At least in rural areas. I once was told originally when the government let the RR companies put lines through all over the country on everyone's property that was one of the stipulations was that if the company ever abandoned the line the ground was to go back to the land owner. Now a days that doesn't happen all of a sudden it's the government's.

A lot of that original language was in the deeds that were written at the time. That is what makes the difference. You can look them up in the Deeds office.

Courts have been interpreting the abandonment to mean that the public still has an interest in the lines. Not only that, but since there were telegraph poles along the track (now other utilities including fiber optic), someone other than the landowners gets the revenue from those.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mr. had to do his Railroad certification last yr on the computer, so of course, I had to operate the computer.
CSX and all them folks are VERY serious about railway safety and are trained to stop ANYONE that is on railroad property, that does not carry the proper ID badge. Even if you have the ID, you are required to check in and they want to KNOW, daily, who is suppose to be on the RR properties, what they are doing, and how they are doing it.

They are very concerned that our railways remain secure and free from ones that would attempt sabotage and/or worse.
Perhaps, in way out of the way areas, they can't police every mile of RR, but in more populated areas,
they are watching.
Best to stay off active RR properties.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mr. had to do his Railroad certification last yr on the computer, so of course, I had to operate the computer. CSX and all them folks are VERY serious about railway safety and are trained to stop ANYONE that is on railroad property, that does not carry the proper ID badge. Even if you have the ID, you are required to check in and they want to KNOW, daily, who is suppose to be on the RR properties, what they are doing, and how they are doing it. They are very concerned that our railways remain secure and free from ones that would attempt sabotage and/or worse. Perhaps, in way out of the way areas, they can't police every mile of RR, but in more populated areas, they are watching. Best to stay off active RR properties.

I found out the hard way how times have changed. About five years ago I had car trouble in a local small town around me. Anyway to make a long story short I cut across the tracks like we did years ago when we was a kids. I got a ticket for trespassing. Would of never done it if I knew how much times have changed regarding RR's, I guess I never got the memo?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out the hard way how times have changed. About five years ago I had car trouble in a local small town around me. Anyway to make a long story short I cut across the tracks like we did years ago when we was a kids. I got a ticket for trespassing. Would of never done it if I knew how much times have changed regarding RR's, I guess I never got the memo?

Sorry you got a ticket.

Well, a tour through YouTube territory reinforces what is happening in America. People like this have no business running around on RR property.

So RR personnel have to deal with the Lowest Common Denominator. Which, by the way, is the greatest danger to our freedom in this country. Smart people need fewer laws.

What really bothers me is that it's OK to be stupid, disrespectful, and even antagonistic.

Nov 9, 2012
MS Delta
Detector(s) used
RS Discover 1000(for now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anybody in Mississippi is interested, I own land along ROW for local rr and up to major river crossing(trestle). Also know where a few camps were. The RR that runs thru our property were used as major travel route during flood of 1927 and our house is built on old road used in 1800s

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
The back of my property ends at the railroad that's been there since the late 1870's...I've found a scattering of railroad spikes and ties from various eras that have rolled down to my property...and tons and tons and tonssss of 'hot rocks'...sigh...seems like there should be SOMETHING good that fell off a train in the last 125 years...haven't found it...yet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread