Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used several different detectors from time to time and they have done the same thing occasionally. Here is the situation. The deeper the target is the Id is off. For example the Id shows a quarter 5 inches deep but the target is not a coin or shaped like a coin. It seems to happen more when the target is deep. It usually is allways deeper than indicated. Does this happen to you? What do you think causes it? Thanks for any input.
Burdie

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
It has happened to me a number of times, using both Garrett CXIII and Whites XLT. From what I understand, the detector is tricked into thinking it is a coin (usually ID's as a quarter on mine) because it detects the target (at 12" or so) and is reading the conductivity (close to that of a coin) the detector is only seeing the diameter equal to or closest to the size of a coin, since the EMF is cone shaped. I tried to draw it, hopefully it will help you understand, cause I know my art sucks... LOL

Attachments

• tricked.jpg
    tricked.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 303
OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That at least makes sense about the size being miss-identified. Thanks Gold Digger. But How did you know what I looked like. ;D ;D
Burdie

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
yep thats a heartbreaker. happens to me sometimes, i just put it in my pocket or trash bag so it wont ever do that again!  ;)

i always just thought that its the detectors best guess. usually a target like that wont be a real rock steady reading (but sometimes it is) and in the back of my mind im thinking "its probably junk" but i dig it anyways (eternally hopeful), seems like about 1 in 10 is a coin or coins for whatever reason. but usually when it happens just like you describe its a peice of a pipe or a doohickey or whatever that has some pretty good heft to it, so it sets the detector off pretty good. i dont blame the detector, i think its doing its best, its doing what its programmed to do. (i use an old whites 6000)

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
One more thing to think about is take a big pile of coins (doesnt make any difference what they are) and run your detector over them and see what it shows or tells you. I can tell you if you have an XLT it will show an over load so keep that in mind when it happens could be a jar full of coins LOL.

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
privet12 said:
One more thing to think about is take a big pile of coins (doesnt make any difference what they are) and run your detector over them and see what it shows or tells you. I can tell you if you have an XLT it will show an over load so keep that in mind when it happens could be a jar full of coins LOL.

oh yeah! i took an old metal band-aid box,filled it half way with pennies,nickels,dimes & quarters. i then laid it on the ground and moved my ace 250 over it. what happened next could best be described as a crazy dance back & forth between nickel,tab,gold and penny & just kept dingin' its' head off which continued even after i stopped moving the detector.
in short- whenever in doubt, dig!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mileage my very here
what i do with deep/deeper items
is i will pinpoint it and investigate it for a few minutes is it long/good 2 ways(nail)
its spotty at the edges and the pinpoint drops off on it has sharp/erratic/edges(deep iron scrap/wire)
i find my self now going sllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww
listening to every tick pop broken turning the disc up then back down to were it was
investigating the area around the signal (nail pile/broken/boot tacks/ wire etc)
if it screams(most always a can at 1-6 inchs ill dig it just to get the item out of the way
if its a sweet mellow DEEP tone that outlines/pinpoints larger
ill probe it with a 9 inch brass rod if i fell it ill big it
as we all know there are time it backfires as i found a engine of some kind onetime ::)
the all metal pinpoint ion the last few months has been very helpfull for me try it
the nature of the beast
tarp grommets ,large rusty washers :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions