Do you keep newer JFK Halfs?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to the game so I read the first part of the beginners post pinned at the top of the forum page. The person that started the post recommended keeping any JFKs after 2001 since they were not made for circulation. I was planning on dumping my first patch off tonight so at lunchtime I ran through them again and found a 2003 D and 2010 P both look to be in unc condition.

Are they worth keeping? I don't think they would but I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks for your feedback.
NJ

Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a collector or know someone who collects Kennedys then they could be keepers. Otherwise just throw them back. I found a 2005 and a 2006 just this mornin'. Last week I found a 2012. Back to the wild they went since I had already filled those holes in my Dansco.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Personally I only keep one of each year and mint for the kids coin folders. As far as being worth it the only other NIFC ones that I keep are proofs, and several people keep the 1987 halves as they are NIFC and low mintage. It's a personal decision how much you want to hold onto of the coins that aren't worth much more than face value, since that ties up part of your bank roll that you could be using to search for higher value coins.

HH

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...I'm going to cut them lose.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't keep them unless they have an S mint mark.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep the proofs but started finding so many I stopped. Clad all goes back to Ben B.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the game so I read the first part of the beginners post pinned at the top of the forum page. The person that started the post recommended keeping any JFKs after 2001 since they were not made for circulation. I was planning on dumping my first patch off tonight so at lunchtime I ran through them again and found a 2003 D and 2010 P both look to be in unc condition.

Are they worth keeping? I don't think they would but I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks for your feedback.
NJ

In the 3+ years that I have been a contributing member here, we have had several discussions on the future value of NIFC halves. You might want to go back and check some of those out. Some very good arguments have been made on both sides of the issue.

I kept every NIFC half I found in the beginning. Let's face it...its more fun to find "keepers" than to not find anything. Pretty soon I had a fairly large stack of NIFCs and decided I didn't want a large portion of my bankroll tied up in halves that might not appreciate in value in my lifetime, so I culled my stash of NIFCs down to 2-3 of each date and mintmark in the best condition. The deciding factor for me was the 1987 half. That coin is now over 25 years old, and there is no real demand out there for it.

With that said, there have been a couple of members in my time on this forum that have stated that they can sell NIFC halves for a small profit now. You might want to look into that as well. If you can find buyer(s), they might well be worth keeping to sell. More importantly, if you like them, keep them. Coin collecting does not always have to be about "profit." Don't ever let anyone tell you what you should or should not collect. Collect what makes you happy.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
More importantly, if you like them, keep them. Coin collecting does not always have to be about "profit." Don't ever let anyone tell you what you should or should not collect. Collect what makes you happy.

Very well said!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread