Do you pack heat while CRH-ing?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately I have been thinking about all the cash I carry around with me and all the coins that I haul back to the bank. My question is (and you dont have to comment, just vote) Do you pack heat while you are out and about? Lately, I am tempted to get my carry license and a nice little glock. Just never know when someone is going to attempt to relieve you of your CRHing cash.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
If I looked like you, I'd have a carry permit because someone might want to ... ummmm ... "force themselves upon me", if you know what I mean, more than worry about someone wanting to take my CRH money. In fact, I would think most women should be more concerned about rape than robbery in general.

As for me, I DO have a CCW permit, and I DO have a 9MM in the center console. Not for CRH, but because of money I carry for auctions and places I go looking at land for purchase and development.
But if CRH was all I was doing, I would not probably carry for that alone.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I do all the time, not just when I'm CRH. I'm more worried about people in general than I am of them taking my CRH cash. But you do need to have situational awareness when doing this. It becomes a habit and other people tend to notice those. So pay attention. I seem to remember someone here getting a window bashed in at a school and someone taking their coin.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. I ask this question to someone before never got an answer.

One of my pick-up bank is in a bad hood, the guard will always walk outside to watch out for me while I am loading my coins. He will wait until I get on my car. I think I will carry my Ruger in my car but not on me very soon. Lots of banks have a posted sign.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If I am clothed you can rest assured that I am carrying . Surprise me butt nekid and prolly I am still
armed . That's what the county sheriff told his deputies . He also told them that I am on their side .

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the wild wild west lol! I am not anti-gun as I own several. What scares me are the nutcases who go to the range once to qualify for their ccw, and never pull the gun out to shoot for years, like an aquaintance of mine.
Yeah, I understand the need for self defense, but the legal aspects....and costs. Here in Mich, you better have powerful legal support defending yourself in your own home. Here, even stray cats and dogs shot on your own property can land you in jail. My 2 cents.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
Lately I have been thinking about all the cash I carry around with me and all the coins that I haul back to the bank. My question is (and you dont have to comment, just vote) Do you pack heat while you are out and about? Lately, I am tempted to get my carry license and a nice little glock. Just never know when someone is going to attempt to relieve you of your CRHing cash.

That is a loaded question as al banks I have been into have sign on doors no guns allowed, and to answer this is telling on self- you are kidding self if you think Big Bruder ain't tracking this site; would not surprise me if one day he uses our posts here to tax us or worse.

The only heat I have on is when it is cold tyrn heater on in my Ford Ranger.

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
I carried all the time in Texas and Georgia, but now that I live in Marylandistan, we are not allowed, so i do not. Sure wish I could though! In our beutiful state, you cannot use self defense in your own home unless you can prove that you could not escape! What the hell is that all about! My home is the last place I plan to ESCAPE from! Oh well, I am just bitter! :help:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AG,

I carry a dummy wallet on me with 20 one dollar bills, and keep the hundreds in my sock. So if someone is going to rob me they can have it.

But they better have a gun or knife,because if they don't, they will be Hartfordized.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my red lightsaber and the dark force

But that is just me

Darth Walker

smoke63b

Sep 17, 2009
Concealed carry every day. It's my constitutional right. If the bank has a sign that says no guns it has to be the proper legal sign to make a difference. Most places that have signs just toss their own up there and they are not the legally designated signs which means you can still carry within the law.
Federal buildings, schools, amusement parks and bars with the 50% sign are no go.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
as many of you know i am a police officer so i am always armed. for anyone who is thinking about packing i would highly recommend the kel-teck .380. very small and light weight with plenty of punch at close range. very easily consealed i carry mine in my back pocket just in case i am ever compelled to reach for my wallet. i believe that every law abiding citizen that completes training with a hand gun and is proficient with their choice of weapon should be armed. well that's my 2 cents. i could go on and on but this is a coin roll forum

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Silvercop,

I owned a .380 Walther PPK. Reliable and easy to conceal in the warm weather. Around this time,I forget now, late 70's I think, there was a shootout in a bank between a robber and an off duty Police Officer who was carrying a .380. The officer hit the robber once, and the robber returned fire as he was retreating out the door, wounding the officer. The robber collapsed and died just as he left the bank. The officer survived.
The one shot the robber caught by the .380 was in the heart, but he was able to get off a few shots,wounding the cop before he collapsed.
That day I sold my .380. and got a .45
The experts can say whatever they want, but history shows that the .45 has planted a lot of bad guys

Best,

Rich

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i hear ya rich. i carry a 45 on duty, however i opt for the 380 off duty because of it's size. it would be hard for me to conceal the big 45 unless i wore a shoulder holster and in the alabama heat i would not be able to tolerate a jacket over a shirt with a shoulder rig. even the small compact glock 45 is bulky and hard to conceal. you have to weigh your tactical options out when you chose a weapon and off duty i would never engage a suspect in a bank unless he had already fired shots first or i felt an immediate close range threat from the suspect. there is just to many unknown tactical advantages for the bad guy inside of a bank. he has immediate access to hostages, he may not be acting alone (have a sleeper on the inside) and as an officer i am responsible for every and any shot i fire (unlike the bad guy). our training as law enforcement directs us to use extreme caution in any off duty engagement with special attention given to "being a good witness" and to avoid the possibility of making a passive threatening suspect into an actively violent suspect.
i saw your post on another thread of pics of you at the range, so i know you will probably agree with what i have said here. so many citizens arm themselves and they never become proficient with their firearm and never practice at the range. this is a recipe for disaster. if a citizen chooses to engage a armed thug in any situation he/she should be confident in their own skills and should already know how their firearm will react when it is used. they must also be prepared to explain how they felt their life (or the life of a 3rd party) was in danger. if you got someone inside a bank that is demanding money and has threatened to use deadly force it is best to just give them what they want and let them get out of the bank, however if you are approached on the street one on one and in close range then the tactical advantage in my mind kind of shifts to you, especially if you have access to a well concealed weapon and cover.
one other thing, when i first enter a bank i always pause to look at the inside and what is going on. if something don't look right i always want the option of backing out fast.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
Silvercop,

I owned a .380 Walther PPK.

Bond carried the PPK man! You just got Official Baddass in my book! That's pretty damn cool! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
No, but the thought has crossed my mind. I usually keep my "play" money apart from what else I

may (or may not) have on me. Definately be aware of your surroundings, but as someone else said,

one of my best producing banks is in a not so desirable area. High mileage and rough roads, has

me thinking, cold steel may be put to a better use with a little lead added.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
there is nothing wrong with a ppk. the price is high though. right now glock owns the law enforcement market, but it has not always been that way. when i first started back in the late 80's smith and wesson had it and everyone laughed at the plastic guns glock made. you could get one for about 185.00 with a officer's discount that many dealers offer, but not now. the 45 i carry is about 600 bucks with the add ons. same thing with the kel-tec. when those little pocket guns came out a few years ago you could get one for about 100 bucks and now since law enforcement has turned to it as a back up and off duty weapon they sell for over 300 (if you can even find one). i like the glock for many reasons, just as anyone who carries anything else has reasons for liking their choice. what it all boils down to is their is no perfect gun made out there that is a one size fits all. everyone who chooses to carry a gun should know their limitations (as clint eastwood says) and chose a gun that they can be proficient with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread