Do you pan with Hot or Cold water?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The surface tension of water decreases as it's temperature rises. Don't know how much of an advantage that gives you but it would obviously help to discourage gold to float along with the surfactant you use. CHEM-GUIDE: Surface tension

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't pan with hot water, but I use jet dry, which seems to make hot water unnecessary.

Today I panned in a creek that had ice chunks in it. Oh well.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a couple drops of wetting agent does far more to reduce surface tension that water temp. Warm water to pan is sure is nice on tired hands

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I tried the hot water BUT it didn't stay hot for very long. I thought about using a small heating element but never got around to doing it. looks like Ill just stay with whatever temp water I got!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dishwasher anti spotting agent is fantastic for reducing the dynes and doing away with surface tension that floats away your fines. Panned with my wetsuit heater on in deep dark canyons in winter and never really saw a real difference, but kept my butt warm and THAT was good. John

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lukewarm with a drop of detergent in it.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use hot / warm water whenever possible, does help on surface tension and in the winter
it just feels better.

I tend to pan on Saturday which is bath day.

19df9afdb7d3b195c9050bf12cb192a3.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one K jet dry worked for many years and NEVER SOAP as soap bubbles and away goes your goodies. When you need to clean the absolute best, cheapest, easiest chemical is NON-SUDSING AMMONIA . Cleans like a champ and zero suds to float away them fines but rinse good prior to final recovery or panning. John

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warm city water is the best, as it will offgas rapidly, whereas cold will not. Cold water will offgas slower and can get gold either floating or neutrally buoyant even in the presence of Jet Dry. It's why you have to add cold water variation into dive table times to prevent DCS or the "bends" below 70 degrees. Run the water hot and let it cool before panning.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
That's the one K jet dry worked for many years and NEVER SOAP as soap bubbles and away goes your goodies. When you need to clean the absolute best, cheapest, easiest chemical is NON-SUDSING AMMONIA . Cleans like a champ and zero suds to float away them fines but rinse good prior to final recovery or panning. John

I use non sudsing ammonia as a clay buster! Toss some sand in your bucket with the clay, stir like crazy, and then float off the crud. Works great!It helps to mash the muck thru a screen in the bucket, too.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warm water = warm hands. I have a hot water spigot on the side of the house just to run it directly into the panning tub in the winter. I've had to break the ice in the morning many times & hot water wins over frozen hands every time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions