northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Re: do you pick up your trash or do you leave it behind

I used to rebury my trash if it was something that I couldn't carry with me and wouldn't fit in my pocket.? Ie., Soda Cans and such.? Then, I decided to pick up a 5 gal. bucket that I now carry with me.? ?Is handy for picking up the larger items, again, that won't fit in my pocket, that I find and for carrying my scoop and digging tools, pinpointer... in.? I now pick up all the garbage.? To keep the sand and dirt in the house and car down,? before getting back in the car, I sort the good stuff into ziplock bags or ziplock storage containers.? Then I take the trash out and set it asside and dump the residual sand.? ?I put the junk back into the bucket and take all my stuff home and photograph it.? Then, I throw out the garbage.? ?

050808-UpperGilson-640.jpg
?

050517-LowerGilson-640.jpg

050523-LowerGilson-640.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I not Only Pick Up My Own Trash, But I also Pick Up , Candy Wrappers, Etc.

When I see Them Blowing Around.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Northeast,

I do 99% of my hunting in woods and fields. If I dig something up and do not want it, it goes back in the ground and I cover it up. Plus you can never say that the next guy that digs it up will not get some sort of clue from it; thats what the Archies always say.(We are mixing them up when we take something out)>

I will collect garbage, (above ground), that slobs have left behind and haul it out.

What I dig I keep or put back in ground. Hate to take the thrill, the excitement, and effort at digging of the next m d'er that comes across the same trash, (sometimes I think that perhaps I should leave a small note wrapped in plastic)......

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

PS
Was told by a Will County Forest Preserve Officer last week that I need to apply for a permit before I hunt the woods I've been hunting for the last eight years. E-mailed the headquarters and was told I have been violating two different ordinances of the Forest Preserve District: One makes it unlawful to dig or disturb the land and the other forbids the removal of ANYTHING.

Looks like I cannot even pick up the garbage in the woods from now on??

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland

The bags and containers are good. http://www.ziploc.com/twistnloc.asp ?Bags are cheap and the containers are reusable and durable. ? Unfortunately the containers only come in 2 sizes. ?A diecast car will pretty much kill, even the medium size. ?

I pretty much like to keep my finds in the condition in which I find them. ?Like some fine antiques, the age and wear add cheracter. ?So, I keep what I can, in containers to keep things clean. ? Of course, something like fine jewelry or a special coin might be different. ? I would clean that stuff and store it more properly. ? ?I tend to just keep the toys and such as they are. ?Putting them in zip locks. ?

I use 1 medium, (1qt???) container for all my coins, (almost have one filled now). ?and another for bottle caps which I have chosen to keep and collect. ?I have been keeping my best finds, like foriegn coins, keys, common or damaged jewelry, fishing lures... in another. ? I then keep a few in the back of the car with my other detecting equipment. ?

When I finish a hunt, I fill the containers with whatever will fit in them. ?1 or 2 are usually very sufficient for all the coins, bottle caps, pull tabs, jewelry(like I really find that much :( )... ? Anything over sized, I put in bags. ? I can label them with the location and date when and where I searched. ?Then, after I have photographed everything, I sort the finds in with everything else I have collected so far. ?I then put the empty containers back in the car for another day. ?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i always carry out the junk that i dig. if i return i dont want to dig it again and sometimes good stuff is hiding underneath . ill pick up as much trash on the surface as i can carry.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff, you have a little Boy Scout in you" scouts are taught to leave an area in better condition than when they found it". I pick up all trash I dig with the exception of very large objects that are deep. I try to tell if the find is anything good if not I Just rebury them. I do this because I once dug up a heavy fender that took 2 hours to dig up in the middle of a large, get the picture. I also pick up metal and glass on top of the ground .

Ed

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I left a Few Very Large Unknown Things In the Ground Also.

I just Know They Were Tons of Gold Bars ;) :D

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

I pick up all trash in ground and especially above. You know "Keep America Beautiful" ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

S

SASQUASH

Im sorry but I dont go out hunting for trash. I was not a boy scout but Rebel seans the day I was born. I dont know where this rule that M.Ders are allso trash men came from. I dont have time for that. O.K. you can flog me now. I do think there is other felow rebs hear that is why I like this site so much. SAS .

S

SASQUASH

I pick up (MY) trash. Pack out what I pack in. SAS<><

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

I pick up small trash like tabs, stuff that i can just throw in the trash, but stuff like large wrappers and cans and stuff i dont even take out of the hole, and im with sherman, digging bottle dumps is basically digging in trash so i dont bring any of that back. but i do bring home trash when its small and iv already dug it up.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

I detect in large cargo pants, one pocket for keepers and one for trash, I also carry a plastic grocery bag in case the trash becomes more than I can carry in my pocket. I pick up trash as well along the way off the surface. I have been known to get back to the car with cans (flattend) stuffed in all available pockets! :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always pick up my trash and carry a garbage bag for removing other peoples trash.

I've gotten permission to hunt this park where detecting is banned to other detertorist. One treasure hunter was approached by the park rangers to see why he was digging holes and leaving them there. When told to go -----them selves, the park became closed to detecting. I don't know what happened to the Th'er as the rangers carry guns and they could have easiely shot him saying later the th'er waved a knife at them. At least this was told to me by one of the rangers.

Sandman

Z

ZumbroKid

I take it with me, I see no point in digging junk twice.

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750

I had to vote that I pick up half my trash. Now before ya'll get on me, let me explain a bit.

When I dig in town, then I pack out everything I dig, good, bad, ugly, whatever. I also pick up garbage like gum wrappers, candy wrappers, etc. My son is real good about not littering, so when he's with me, we have short talks about why someone would litter, how it's bad, etc.

Now, when I hit the riverside campsites or the old hotel/POW site, there's folks that leave cans, bottles, wrappers, bags, you name it behind. Some of these sites would literally take a dump truck to haul the trashy stuff out. At the old hotel, it has been burned down and there's almost a city dump's worth of old cans, broken glass, charred timbers, etc. It would be physically impossible for me to haul out all I see. I guess the big question would be whether or not this is "my trash"??

So, when it's practical, I haul out everything I dig, collect garbage and toss it, salute the president, etc. ;D But there's times when it just ain't practical, so I do my best to not make things worse.

HH, ya'll!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

The more trash you take the greater the chances of hearing the deeper older targets. I take mine all unless it's to large to get out of the hole. There has been many times I have dug a tab to recheck the hole and find a wheatie below it. It pays to dig it and take it with you.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions