Do you prefer detecting alone or with a partner?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do most of you guys (or gals) prefer detecting alone or with a partner? For me, it is a solitary pursuit. However, the other day, I had to check out this new site which was in an isolated location. The scenery was beautiful but because the ground was frozen, I thought it would be best to scout it out before detecting it in a month or so. It was a long hike in a heavily wooded area and for the first time thought it would be nice to have a partner. If something should happen, it would be a long way back to civilization and without a partner you'd be in trouble. Also, nice to have a buddy to share ideas, have a couple of laughs along the way etc...So, do most of you guys go solo or do you have a buddy to tag along?

Upvote 0

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I lived in ND I had a hunting partner and we pretty much did'nt hunt without the other. We found that when we hunted together we did better since we were always in competition with the other. Having a detecting partner is even better when the 2 are best friends.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would perfer to hunt with someone else. That way you have someone to talk to share ride together and you can work on finding those lost place that is no longer there.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had to choose I would hunt alone. I get in a zone that way and I seem concentrate more on my swinging and overlapping. I do enjoy going with other people though because I get excited to see others finds as well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a partner has its advanages whether your diving or hunting near each other to compare finds or for safety. I still hunt with a group when we do beach clean-ups but like to be with my own thoughts when hunting for recreation as I can stay as long as I want or leave when I feel like it.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There’s nothing more fun than a good, successful hunt with someone else, but a nice relaxing day alone with the machine is like therapy for the soul. :sunny:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Having a partner has its advanages whether your diving or hunting near each other to compare finds or for safety. I still hunt with a group when we do beach clean-ups but like to be with my own thoughts when hunting for recreation as I can stay as long as I want or leave when I feel like it.

I agree, there has been many time where I invite someone to go with me and I end up wanting to leave after an hour because my back hurts or knees and I feel guilty.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justanotherbarber said:
When I lived in ND I had a hunting partner and we pretty much did'nt hunt without the other. We found that when we hunted together we did better since we were always in competition with the other. Having a detecting partner is even better when the 2 are best friends.

This.

I'm good friends with the couple guys that I detect with, so it's always fun no matter what the finds. Plus, like you said, we are always competing against each other for best / most finds.

I've tried detecting with others and they are often pretty boring. The guys I detect with are very immature and vulgar at times, and that works for me. I can't detect with people that are uptight and quiet.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm on the beach, I can go either way, but I like having someone around to talk to and show my finds off too.
I also consider the advantages of having someone else with me if someone shows up unexpectedly and
starts to get antzy about me / us being somewhere there may be a grey area...

Although it might never be said, I will look at him and he look at me, and the guy now does not
know who to blame for us both being there... ha ha ha
then we smile and slide out quick....

If I'm alone and get confronted it can be downright nerve raking...

Plus if I hunt regular with a buddy, then both of us are looking out for places to hunt and
swapping sites we see in our day to day lives...
Some of the sites he has taken me too have increased my silver considerably.....
and me / him..

and we always play the "who got the best thing" game when we are out...

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to take my wife with me. it's nice to have someone hold your beer and dig the holes :toothy2: :director:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snakeyes said:
I like to take my wife with me. it's nice to have someone hold your beer and dig the holes :toothy2: :director:

I had a woman like that once....

Traded her in on a newer model.....

GOD HOW I MISS HER !!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like everyone else, I guess it depends on who I'm with.

I know a couple of guys I love to hunt with when our schedules permit.

Some others I don't want within 100 yeards of me, whether I'm metal detecting or not.

But usually I hunt alone and I'm fine with that too.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
TORRERO said:
snakeyes said:

I had a woman like that once....

Traded her in on a newer model.....

GOD HOW I MISS HER !!

I will make a mental note, and allow your expirience to teach me a lesson in what to avoid. . . . Or I will allow common sense to handle a situation like this.... DO NOT EVER, NEVER-EVER, NO MATTER WHAT, TRADE IN A WOMAN WHO WILL DIG YOUR HOLES, AND HOLD YOUR BEER FOR ANY OTHER MODEL PERIOD... NO MATTER WHAT SAID MODEL SAYS, OR IMPLIES, SHE WILL OR WONT DO...

Good luck with that. lol

Chris.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I like to hunt with other folks. I spent alot of time hunting with GOIO and AmericanCoinHunting up in Chicago when I worked there. I have got to hunt with KenNOLA here in New Orleans as well as with RiverRat and FelinePeachy once. Its really nice to meet other folks here from TNET. I like to see what other folks are finding and I like to show what I find too. TMAN...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I never hunt alone! I sometimes hunt with a partner [human]. I use to hunt with my bulldog, She was my guardian, afraid of nothing, but she is gone now, much to my dismay. I have taken out several newbees to show them the ropes. When I am hunting in the boonies I usually have along, My Texas Defender a .45colt/.410. I will have to modify that first statement. I hunt crowded beaches alone, but then,I am not really alone.

Attachments

• hand print_edited-2.jpg
    hand print_edited-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 343
  • hand print_edited-2.jpg
    hand print_edited-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 366
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing I would fear when detecting in an isolated wooded area would be a bear or coyotes. You would never hear it approaching especially with head phones on! That's when it would be wise to have a partner...

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy hunting with a partner or even a small group. But my schedule dosn't sink up with others very often so I end up hunting alone most of the time.:BangHead:
I do find that when hunting alone I end up covering more ground. Probally because I don't have to keep track of someone elses location. :icon_scratch:

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do prefer to hunt alone but I have hunted with others.
The old boy that I hunted with the most has passed away now.
I learned a lot from that man.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly alone but would like to find someone to hunt with, I just bought another Detector a ACE 250 so I could get one of my friends to go with me sometimes, but I should have bought another pin pointer because he always wants to use mine :BangHead:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing i said when this question came up before......... ALONE .....Nuff said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread