Do You Remember....?

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
Re: Do You Remember..........?

as a product of the 60s came of age in the 70s,memories..Johnny West action figures,Red Skelton,Sonny and Cher,Simba cola,mr chips potato chips in a box,marathon bars,chile wiles,Barby Benton on Hee-Haw,viet nam on the news,watergate,The Olympic games in Munich,And the american Bicentennial.
Memories good and bad

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny tag Gun Farce!

Michigan Badger, WOW, did yours sell for $800 too? Sorry to hear about your nieces and nephews breaking your stuff that you had taken care of. >:(

montepollock, I remember Sonny & Cher, Barby Benton, those long marathon bars, Red Skelton & viet nam on the news.
I remember when we were leaving viet nam & all the people were trying to get on the planes & choppers. The one thing that has stuck with me about that was one poor guy jumped on the wheel of one of the planes & fell to his death when the plane was pretty high up. As for the 1976 Bicentennial, I still have a set of Bicentennial glasses that jelly came in back then. There was six different ones. Also, the fireworks in D.C. that year was really something to see!

S

stefen

We use to have what was referred to as the Huckster Wagon...a converted school bus with a very bad brushed white paint job.

No seats...board shelves with rudimentary supplies such as flour, corn meal, sugar, etc. Maybe some postal stamps, sewing things and the like...nothing cold such as milk, pop or ice cream..just basics.

A cantilevered platform on the rear with cages filled with chickens, geese and ducks...

Would come rambling up the lane with its horn blaring announcing its arrival...as if the dust cloud wasn't obvious enough.

This was the local form of traveling 'Bodega on Wheels'...basic supplies for the farm wife and kids...

Poor times for poor folks...didn't even have penny candy...nobody had pennies to spare...

That was in the mid 50's and early 60's.

In retrospect, memorywise, they were rich times.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)

Top Cat
Bennie and Cecile
Yogi Bear
Space Ghost
Doggy Daddy and his son dog
Penelope Pit stop
Mike

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

backitup83 said:
Top Cat
Bennie and Cecile
Yogi Bear
Space Ghost
Doggy Daddy and his son dog
Penelope Pit stop
Mike

Top Cat was cool. So was Felix. I forgot all about Space Ghost. Used to watch Beannie and Cecil (I had a Beenie Coptor) and Augie Doggie and Doggy Daddy too!! Great memories!

HH 8) surfrat

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Cat was the coolest!
how about;
Astro Boy
Ultra Man
Snaggle Puss (exit stage left)
Deputy Dog
Under Dog (never fear)
Ironsides
Manxis
Dragnet (just the facts)
The Rookies
The Mod Squad
The streets of San Francisco
Emergency
Ba Ba Black sheep
Hawaii 5 O
The F.B.I.
Adam 12
Barney Miller
Kojack
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Smothers Brothers
Laugh In
Flip Wilson
Perry Mason
Marcus Welbie MD

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I have gotten such a kick out of reading all of these "memories". They are fantastic,really brings back alot of good times. I think my mom raised us kids on grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell soup in the winter and Peanut butter-jelly and KoolAid in the summer. Corn flakes or oatmeal for breakfast ...no sugared cereal even tho we would beg.
In the summer....as soon as we were up...we were gone...We didnt hit that yard until the street-lights came on that night. No cell phones,no one worried that we wouldnt show up when we were suppose to.
Building forts in the woods was a big deal when we were kids, as well as visiting the hobos under the railroad bridge.We always tried to take them potatoes or onions or whatever was in the garden and they would share their "soup of whatever" .
I always thought I could fly,so I spent alot of time building wings,...haha...I think I jumped off every single thing I could...The house,garage ,barn ,slide,trees.....thinking if I just flapped those plastic wings hard enough I would soar like a eagle...flap.. flap... drop ! But I never gave up. hahah. We made parachutes out of "borrowed" drying sheets on the line. We built log rafts and floated them down the St Joe River( the one place my parents told us absolutely not to go to!)....we were dangerous pirates and Tom Sawyer was my hero....Now I would have a heart attack if my kids tried anything that I did...I cant believe we survived with no helmets or car seats.
Sundays nights, my dad took us to A&W for that big jug of frosted rootbeer and we all got frosted mugs ,which was a big deal...geez I can taste it now. And we were all loaded into the back of the pickup...kids hanging out all over and it was ok.Gee I miss all that!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Forgot about Bazooka Joe Bubblegum...where if you saved enough of the comics inside ,you could get prizes.....I am still waiting for my 3 foot submarine that you can actually ride in...I had to pick up a lot of BJ comics for that and it never came...wah

lampare

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
West Warwick Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II

This greta thread and no body mentions fireworks.Thunderbomb firecrackers,roman candles.garden in spring,yankee boy crackers, kent tubes.

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget Cherry bombs, real M-80's & black cat fire crackers!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

lampare said:
This greta thread and no body mentions fireworks.Thunderbomb firecrackers,roman candles.garden in spring,yankee boy crackers, kent tubes.
Oh Yes those Snake things that you would heat up and they would turn into a long black charcoal snake. My dad made M-80 launchers out of a long pipe and also would put them under five gallon buckets and blow them sky high.
4th of July we would drive out to the airport and watch the fireworks...be covered with the dropping ash when it was over and then fall asleep in the back of the pickup waiting for all the cars to exit.

Or how about the county fairs, where you could actually run around and not have to worry because everyone knew you. My parents gave us the tickets and time to meet them back at the gate. Off and running we were, dragging the little kids with us. Picking those yellow ducks from the water to win a prize,screaming your lungs out on the "Bullet" , I must have been a TH'er way back then, because we would wait under the rides until coins fell from the sky out of the rides! Hahaha

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BERRETA
S.W.A.T.
COMBAT
what about the 70s show "The Magic Mushroom", i swear to god, it was a jewish kids show on sunday morning i think?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lampare said:
And the little flashlight firecrackers.We used to hold them in ours hands while they exploded! Okay,maybe it was on the very ends of our fingertips.Remember the rolls of paper caps that used to go in the cap guns,we used to drop a brick on whole boxes of 'em.BB-Gun fights with our crossman 760's,only 1 pump though(yeah right!).Anyone ever make a lighter fluid cannon out of tin cans? We used to use calcium carbide (for miners lamp's) and put a little water on it,wait for the gas to form and light it up! Talk about an explosion,that thing would shoot a tennis ball for a hundred yards,at least it seemed like it at the time.Today we'd have the bomb squad called on us and it would probably make the national news!

S

skydiv

how about a carbinated kool ade like drink called fizzies. from the 50's t.v. shows surfside 6, highway patrol, route 66, trapper john, Hennesy, my friend flicka, fury, the life of reily(sp)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

me and my brother went to the drive in with our parents and saw
ANIMAL HOUSE
SLAP SHOT
as a double feature the first time me and little bro saw "boobies" awwwww the mamories!!!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

OK, fond memory: watching "World at War" on PBS next to my pa in the early 70's. (I was born in '68). He'd smoke his corn cob pipe anytime the episode addressed the Pacific battles with General MacArthur.

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden

"S.W.A.T" ,dustys trail,"when things were rotten",and "Doctor in the house?
The premiere of "the six million dollar man"
Also what happened to the trixrabbit and the lucky charms leprechaun?
Did Fred ever get to finish his Cereal?

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Yeah, the good old days!! :)

How about these jingles:

"Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize, that's what you get in Cracker Jacks"
"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, all we ask is that you have it your way"
"two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun"

These sound better when they are sung :).

One thing my sister and I did when we were little (7-10 yrs old) was go to the corner store (about a half mile away walking on a 2 lane highway) with a quarter and get candy. We would usually be able to get a candy bar and a bunch of penny candy. I remember commenting about it to my Mom once because there is no such thing as penny candy any more and she said when she was little she could get quite a bit of candy for a penny. Times sure change.

The very first movie I remember going to was Mary Poppins. My brothers and sisters and I (6 of us) went with my Grandma it is a wonderful memory. The theaters back then had wonderful architecture, they were beautiful.

I also remember seeing Jaws at the Theater.

Cheryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread