Do you run in auto track

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are in an area where the ground phase changes a lot due to ether mineraliztion variationsvor salinity, not really needed. Where it is nedded due to such conditions it works well. Note that multi IQ itself does a great job of compensating for a less than ideal ground balance or small variations in ground phase on its own without invoking auto tracking. I wouldn't recommend using tracking on dry sand or other areas where the mineralization is so low the tracking algorithm has nothing to track to trigger a ground phase setting change. Tge best way to tell whether a ground balance is needed while swinging is if you are hearing a lot of ground noise (-9 to -7 TIDs and iron tone grunts) whike in All Metal (press the horseshie button). Otherwise, just leave it be and don't obsess over small changes in the actual ground phase number reading if you do repeated periodic manual or auto ground balance pumping.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Me No. but if in lived near the desert I would cautiously use it on gold. No gold here in Michigan.
If you are X ing a target in auto track it can ground balance on the target and you may loose the target. So beware of that.

Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me No. but if in lived near the desert I would cautiously use it on gold. No gold here in Michigan.
If you are X ing a target in auto track it can ground balance on the target and you may loose the target. So beware of that.

Doug

Equinox is really not susceptible to that cancelling issue during tracking unlike other detectors (you would have to be swinging over the target for minutes and it would really need to look like rust to the detector because that is what the tracking algorithm triggers off), it has a pretty laggy tracking response, primarily because it can afford to be slow acting as Multi IQ compensates for ground variations on its own. Even though Gold mode has tracking on by default, most gold prospectors I know, turn tracking off when looking for fine gold.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Equinox is really not susceptible to that cancelling issue during tracking unlike other detectors (you would have to be swinging over the target for minutes and it would really need to look like rust to the detector because that is what the tracking algorithm triggers off), it has a pretty laggy tracking response, primarily because it can afford to be slow acting as Multi IQ compensates for ground variations on its own. Even though Gold mode has tracking on by default, most gold prospectors I know, turn tracking off when looking for fine gold.
Ok then I may be wrong so I’ll delete my post.

sorry , Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then I may be wrong so I’ll delete my post.

sorry , Doug

Doug, don't delete the post because it is something that is commonly questioned regarding tracking, so it is good to let people know that Equinox is less susceptible to tracking cancelling out targets while interrogating them so it is a good thing you brought it up.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Doug, don't delete the post because it is something that is commonly questioned regarding tracking, so it is good to let people know that Equinox is less susceptible to tracking cancelling out targets while interrogating them so it is a good thing you brought it up.
Sorry when I just got home I deleTed it and a your message just popped up one my screen from you right afterwards.
I do not want to ever mislead anyone.

Your Friend; Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is ok because I quoted it in my post anyway so the context is still there.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Vferrari.
I was out today for a few hours. So I had a solid 13 in Park 1 . I then went to auto track and played with it and the solid 13 after s couple passes it was gone so I found some iron a couple feet away and passed over it a couple times then went back the the 13 spot and it was back then a couple passes and auto ground balance I think balance on in it and it was gone again. Went back to normal grounds balance and it stayed on the target. Finely dug it and it was a nickel.
So now I’m confused , lol

Doug

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am laughing at the posts in here. I am definitely in the minority. I ALWAYS run auto ground tracking. I have done it with all my minlabs. I find tons of old coins shallow, deep, iffy, and right behind other detectorists machines while running auto tracking. I do see some cancelling effect on iffy signals if I wiggle over them too much but I am aware of this possibility and often move coil away from target and swing my way back to it to recheck signal. I have watched the ground balance number in several parks and yards over the last 2 years on my nox and it will often go from 0 all the way to 50s or 60s for numbers while hunting in the same park. In my opinion there is no way that ground balancing manually at each site is going to give you the best performance. I am talking about dirt hunting of course and do not have much beach experience so I cannot comment on best setting for sand. I will not be turning off my auto tracking anytime soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread