Do you Sell or Keep your finds?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to ask folks here if they sell or keep their finds. My family and I sell all of our finds, normally we will wait until we have about a kilogram or gold, a few kilograms of silver and any coins are cashed in at the end of the year unless they are old then we take and dumb them at a shop.

I only ask because I want to see if it is a national thing in selling or what; meaning I know a few Americans here in Europe that hunt, they too sell their stuff; however the Europeans I know keep their finds. There is one cop out of Luxembourg I often have professional dealings with, I got him into MDing back in 2005 and he loves it. He is often on the road with me when I travel but a few months ago I stopped by his house and he had an entire room dedicated to his finds, his wife and girls are also into this as well. They said it was their treasure room.

Anyway when I saw his gold he had close to 6,000 grams I told him that I have someone who can give him 3-7% under spot and he looked at me like I was nuts. Naturally I had to ask him if he could get better spot deals than that because my family and I pull about 4,000 grams on average in gold a year and if he can get better than 3% then I want to know where.

He tells me I must be crazy, they would never sell their treasures.

He is not the only European I have met like this, just the most extreme one.

I hunt for profit my self and love the hunt. Every African I have met in Europe MDing also hunts for profit and they sell too, Europeans though seem to really keep it close to them and many of them are also hunting areas that would only be good for profit.

So since this forum has a good amount of Americans and other nationalities I am just curious if you keep, sell, sit on the fence depending on what it is or go on a hunt with the sole purpose of selling your finds.

Thanks folks.

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may sell at some point, but right now I'm enjoying my collection and love to go through it and share my findings with others. I have given some of my smaller finds away and also find that gratifying. It's like money in the bank. Our finds mean different things to different people. For now I'll keep mine.

HH, Relic Nut

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I hunted gold I would sell it! I have some nice tokens and tags relics and coins that will be passed down to my boys. I have thought hard about what should go to them. I sell some of my nicer finds and keep the best ones for now! I keep everything from the nearby towns, love the history. If you are just talking about gold you may want to post this in gold prospecting! Happy Hunting!

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cool thing about this hobby is at the end of the day, we usually have something of value to show for our effort. For me, it's the history, and I find it hard to put a value on some things I find. I guess if I needed the money to survive, I have found plenty of things of value. Most stuff I just like to look at and think about the day I found it, maybe the friend I was hunting with, or wonder about the person who lost it. So most likely, it will become my wife's problem when I'm dead. Then it will be sold at public auction, and others can enjoy or ponder over my treasure. Kevin

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been out of the game a number of years since having moved to TN from TX. Had 3 detectors and a gold dredge with air when I moved here. Rules different here due to civil war. Sold everything. Got a bit older, kids grown just about. Wife and I are hitting the beach in 2 weeks so I got an excal ii and all the gear. I'll sell what I don't want to keep. Keep what the family wants to keep. Give away a few others. Never found an expensive coin so I'll probably hoard the first few of those when I get them. I guess it's because the stories I get to tell is why I keep some. Even something not worth much will have a treasure of a story.

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with the exception of about $2 that i spent on a beer once, i have every single coin ive ever found. all my clad gets wrapped in coin wraps.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with the exception of about $2 that i spent on a beer once, i have every single coin ive ever found. all my clad gets wrapped in coin wraps.

Funny you say that...I did the same thing yesterday, on my way home from a hunt, realized I didn't have my wallet with me all day...the look on the girls face when I gave her brown quarters and dimes for a 24 oz....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep everything, except for the generous offer made to me for my WW1 ring, that I couldn't pass up...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a little of both - Sell some and keep some. :occasion14:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may sell at some point, but right now I'm enjoying my collection and love to go through it and share my findings with others. I have given some of my smaller finds away and also find that gratifying. It's like money in the bank. Our finds mean different things to different people. For now I'll keep mine.

HH, Relic Nut

Ditto for me. I cash in my coins when the bucket is full. Usually about $400. My daughter gets 10% for helping sort etc. I let family take things they like and pile the rest in my safe. They mean more to me than a stack of $100 bills strangely. As relic nut says, the money is in the bank anytime I want it.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends -- if it has some sort of sentimental value to me I keep it, regardless. I'm not a coin collector, so if it has numismatic value, I'll sell it if the price is right. The same goes for jewelry, etc. Then that, along with clad gets changed into silver ingots which are put into a safety deposit box while the price is still pretty low. -- I might as well (potentially) get more for my finds in the future than just cans of clad that will (most likely) depreciate with the dollar.

To each his/her own -- I know a lot of people who have never cashed in a single penny they found, and others who have helped to pay the bills with theirs, and others still who routinely buy a nice coin for their collection from cashing in their clad and such. -- It’s one of the many great things about this hobby; you can make of it what you want and at least feel like you are coming out ahead.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I cash in is clad. Then I buy American eagles with the money made in clad. More silver for me even if I don't "find" it directly :)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on (finally) cashing-in all my clad (modern) coinage, since I have finished tumbling them clean.
But my old coins, and all precious metal jewelry, I'm keeping - since I have so little - trying to fill out my coin collection that I started as a Boy Scout!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A kilo of gold a year!!?? Man, you must have some great places to hunt!! I have sold some relics I have found, and do not keep modern coins, but I do keep all my older coins. I hunt dirt mostly, not beaches so I find little gold. I suppose if I found a kilo of gold I too would sell it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
next week when I find a $10k diamond ring I'll probably sell it

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cash in my clad at the end of every season. I mean it's only clad. It goes in my MD account for upgrades and tools of the trade, etc. I'm a coin shooter that likes the relics of the past. I keep it all except the junk. I do save junk copper and lead for scrap. Every hunt since Jan 2015 gets documented via smart phone pics. I would like to make some art, maybe steam punk with some of my finds.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone for your answers.

Top Member Reactions