Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have taken them and cashiers checks …… But i like paypal better .. i never got a bad MO or check yet…. I take cash also……… But with the MO or check i never ship there item to them until i am sure it is good….

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the amount. I don't like large money orders because our PO never seems to have enough cash on hand to cash them.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
It depends on the amount. I don't like large money orders because our PO never seems to have enough cash on hand to cash them.

Oh ok. it will probably be around $200. I have never dealt with them and didn't know you could cash them at the PO. Thanks

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I have taken them and cashiers checks …… But i like paypal better .. i never got a bad MO or check yet…. I take cash also……… But with the MO or check i never ship there item to them until i am sure it is good….[/QUO
Thanks, can you take a money order for any item and just mark it as paid? I see ebay has a list of items only allowed to be paid be money order.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put PAYPAL ONLY on my listings for just this reason. Too many scams out there....bad checks, fake money orders, fake certified checks - I just don't risk it. Plus there are paypal competitors like Skrill and a few others that I haven't used. Paypal only for me these days.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of Western Union fake money orders out there. The only ones I have ever accepted were USPS Money orders from the Post office.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I gladly accept US Postal money orders.

The nice thing about USPS money orders is that they are verified right at the PO, and cashed immediately.

FWIW, my ebay sales took a hit when ebay went to the new Paypal rules. Much of my stuff is sold to rural dwellers and old farmers, and many of them still won't use plastic online. I used to average 3 to 5 MO a week. I bet I didn't get 5 MO's in all of 2013.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I gladly accept US Postal money orders. The nice thing about USPS money orders is that they are verified right at the PO, and cashed immediately. FWIW, my ebay sales took a hit when ebay went to the new Paypal rules. Much of my stuff is sold to rural dwellers and old farmers, and many of them still won't use plastic online. I used to average 3 to 5 MO a week. I bet I didn't get 5 MO's in all of 2013.
^^^^^ This. USPS money orders ONLY if the buyer dosn't want to use Paypal. Cash them at the post office. Never had a problem. Ebay likes to make people think you have to use Paypal but the reality is you have to "accept Paypal" but it does not have to be the only option. Don't put anything concerning it in your ad. Let the buyer request it if they choose to do so. The Ebay rules say that money order use is "restricted" but I have accepted them many times without an issue. Just don't let them catch you cutting tags off your mattress...

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made hundreds of ebay purchases with USPS MOs. It was the standard method of payment before paypal, and is still used by many. Those who refuse to accept them are only getting less bids and therefore less money. As others have said, you just take it to the local P.O. and they cash it on the spot, no waiting for it to clear or anything. Personally I hate paypal and the extra fees, and am surprised ebay is getting away with requiring sellers to accept it since ebay owns paypal and it seems to me like a violation of the anti trust and monopoly laws. Ebay buyer protection doesn't cover a buyer if they use USPS MOs, which is their lowdown way of trying to force buyers into their little monopoly.

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take postal money orders also. Had one fake one that the post office caught when I went to cash it, for only $12.00 and change!!!! Started selling on Ebay in 1999, had 2 bad checks, caught both when I went to cash the checks at the banks they were drawn on.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although it's been a while (over a year) I have had customers ask about paying by check or money order. I will accept a postal money order and I have accepted a personal check or two in the past. I just tell them up front that I won't ship until I have the cash in hand, even if it takes 2 weeks to clear. I've even received cash in the mail, but that was before the new rules. Personally, this is one area that I could care less what ebay has to say. I will accept any form of payment I choose to. No one can tell me how to be paid. That risk is on me. This is still the U.S.of A., fragmented as it is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you guys accepting money orders? It is against ebay policy. See above.

It's the unwritten rule of ebay that a seller can not say he'll take them, make a buyer send them, but if he is asked to accept them, it's ok. I've never understood it, but is how it is.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the unwritten rule of ebay that a seller can not say he'll take them, make a buyer send them, but if he is asked to accept them, it's ok. I've never understood it, but is how it is.

Well I learned something today. Thanks.

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
Pay pal broke me from selling on ebay. I started when the good ole' postal MO was the safe way. I also accepted personal checks from repeat customers. Paypal is another way for e bay to stick their hands in the sellers pocket. I do have an account, only use it when when I buy something. Be very aware of giving pay pal your checking or saving account number. Cyber thieves are getting better than the cyber police, ask the management at Target. Pay pal could be a paper trail for big brother at the IRS. Or am I paranoid???

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken Western Union several times. Once I know from the Philapinnes becasue they culd not use paypal, pnce from maricash morroco, and severla other times. Just went down to the Walgreen and got my money.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i still take USPs MO when you take them to the post office they can tell most of the time if they are real or phony…. I remember a few years back when ebay did not try to make you use pay pal there was a lot of USPS fake money orders out there….. but if a buyer will ask me to take a MO even tho i have on my listing paypal only…….I say yes i will take any thing MO Cash personal check cashiers check……… MONEY is MONEY…. 42deacd7-0e82-3551-a943-260513834436.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread