Do you think it’s the real deal

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this porcelain painting and researched it it’s by a artist Wilhelm Kray it’s signed on the back with some of it that I cannot read I found other images similar to it but only in square not oval what do y’all think
IMG_2560.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg
IMG_2563.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother had framed art like that in her house, is it a bubble glass frame?

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may well be a hand painted porcelain plaque that is a copy of the Kray painting. Some of these porcelain copies are quite valuable. Check it over w a loupe to see if hand painted. Also Remove all the paper from the back and look for a Royal Vienna Porcelain Mark. The gallery label on yours is associated with some Royal Vienna stuff. Be forewarned that Royal Vienna is a bit of a rabbit hole to go down - lots of different marks, different companies, different artists etc. BUT I think it’s worth it in this case.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may well be a hand painted porcelain plaque that is a copy of the Kray painting. Some of these porcelain copies are quite valuable. Check it over w a loupe to see if hand painted. Also Remove all the paper from the back and look for a Royal Vienna Porcelain Mark. The gallery label on yours is associated with some Royal Vienna stuff. Be forewarned that Royal Vienna is a bit of a rabbit hole to go down - lots of different marks, different companies, different artists etc. BUT I think it’s worth it in this case.

The only other marks I found were behind a label but I do not want to remove the label to see what they are I have four other ones that I will take apart the paper and see if the marks are on those I will post them hopefully later today thanks for all the help here’s a Close up of the marks you can see them just above the stamp
IMG_2569.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a gallery label on the back. It's the stamp of the frame-maker, L. Haag of Lucerne in Switzerland. Their name is expressed as "L. Haag, succ. de L. Haag-Binder" (ie the successor company to L. Haag-Binder) and they held that registration between 1911-1941. They made things from wood... musical instruments and carved items such as ornaments, cuckoo clock housings, frames and such. That doesn't date the painting itself, but you can be sure it wasn't framed before 1911.

I would be sure that this is a 20th Century copy and that the signature "Ellen(e)? Something" is the actual artist. I hate trying to read artist's signatures but the middle initial might be a P or a D and the surname looks to be "Safl..." or "Sofl..."

It looks to be beautifully done from what I can see, but I expect it's value lies more in an appreciation of that than in it's heritage.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s another one with the same signature
IMG_2574.jpg
IMG_2575.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2577.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech’s second post is the real deal. That’s the legit KPM mark with the scepter. I think that’s a really good sign for the first one because they have the same artist signature.

The real KPM used to go for big bucks, but I think the market kind of fell out like a lot of decorative collectibles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech’s second post is the real deal. That’s the legit KPM mark with the scepter. I think that’s a really good sign for the first one because they have the same artist signature.

The real KPM used to go for big bucks, but I think the market kind of fell out like a lot of decorative collectibles.

I took the backs off of all of them they are all marked KPM now trying to determine the signature thank everyone if I figure it out I will post

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they’re worth minimum of a few hundred bucks each - but some have sold recently in the low four figures - especially ones with pretty girls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread