Do you think these are genuine?

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
A friends Uncle passed recently and my friend sent me her uncles 2 points. I am almost afraid to ask, Genuine or a concession stand buy?

uncles.jpg y?

uncles3.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger one looks like a nice little authentic Point. The one on the left could be as well, but what is that on the base? Is it a protrusion or has the base been broken and then renotched? It may be a Point that was broken and had new notches put in so they could continue to use it.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, they look good. The one on the left maybe a broken Evans, its a double notched point from a central southern state like Louisiana, Arkansas, or east Texas. Do you know where they came from? Good score!

OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
No sorry I don't know where they came from. I do know that uncle did a bit of traveling though. So really there is no telling where he got them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they shinny when dry? In the past some older collectors use to put a clear coat over points to help prevent future breaks. You can still see the patina through the clear coat but its one of those things that is a bad thing to do. I have seen it done before in collections.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first one, note the dirt in the cracks or fractures on the stone. That takes longer to accumulate than you might think so yeah that's a genuine point. That can be faked, but I don't believe anyone would go to the trouble of doing it on a minor point type like that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are artifacts, look at the knapping done on them and compare it to the rocks you posted and you will see the difference... Mother nature forums millions of rocks that are pointed and man can imagine an artifact in it but they are still just rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread