Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have spent endless hours in a geology lab and a few pics make it hard to determine. Off the cuff my first point is the crystalline structure that appears...??...

"Rutilated quartz is quartz stone with rutile enclosures. Rutile is a mineral that is made up mostly of titanium dioxide, or TiO2. As a mineral, it's very high on the refractive index and disperses more than almost any other mineral. This means that, when it appears in other minerals, it almost always appears in long, thin shots of color. Rutilus is, in fact, the Latin word for red, and the mineral gained its name because some specimens are a lovely deep red color. It can also appear in brown and gray tones."

"Quartz is one of the most common mineral on Earth, and it makes up over 10% of the planet's crust. Furthermore, quartz is quite widespread and can be found in almost every geographical environment. It is understandable that such an abundant mineral comes in a number of variations. These include rose quartz, smoky quartz, and rutilated quartz. Members of quartz family can be found as far apart as Brazil, Madagascar, Australia, Norway, Kazakhstan, and Pakistan. It can also be found in the United States, where many mountain ranges contain large deposits".

If you have a detector simply run it over the specimen. That will give you a hint. The quartz has also an agate look to it. It is hard to tell for sure from the pics.....thus I can't help you much. Location of the find may bring some bearing to the sample.

Bejay

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there Alex,

That's a nice specimen you found.

Keep looking out there in the desert and sooner of later as you learn more about prospecting and chasing the gold, you'll find some.

It is out there, and I hope you find some nice gold one day.

Keep posting pictures and asking questions. Asking questions is what I did tons of when I was starting out. As well, see if there's a local club in your area that has get togethers. That way you might get to meet some locals that know your area well, and perhaps by talking to them in person, you'll pick up a few good tips for the places you want to hunt.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread