Do you think you have dug your best find?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Do you think you have dug your best find, or what will be your best?[/h]

This is my 14th year detecting, and I have dug both a button and coin that I don't feel I will ever improve upon, so sadly yes, I think I have dug my best. Strangely I found them both in 2001! Of course I just look at it as having something to beat, but honestly I don't have a high degree of confidence I will.

So how many think their best find is still to come, or like me, it's sort of just gravy now.

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I have dug single pieces of jewelry that were worth thousands, but I look at treasure hunting as a never ending story. Got my point?
Frank five star.png
Z chest.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heavens to betsy I hope not. best in my ummmm 18 months was an 1882 ih
I expect a lot of gold and silver yet

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
This my first year... I got an LC, a Franklin and a Walker. At some point I hope to dig something better.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every year seems to get better for me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I'm gonna have to mess with ya on that Question IP

I dug my best find every time, as I never let someone else dig for me.

my next best find will be dug by me also.

once I cannot dig myself I'm done :thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I thought my best finds were behind me, I'd probably quit detecting. That's not going to happen any time soon!

Dirty Genu

Apr 5, 2013
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500 - AT Max - MXT All Pro - SOV GT - ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my second time MDing. First time was in the late 70's and early 80's for about 5 years. Got started again last year.

I have found more than I had dreamed of, but a cache of very old coins is at the top of my bucket list, so I keep digging.

HH

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion is that the next best find could be stumbled on at any given time, at any given place. Some of my best finds have been in the oddest places. Sometimes I've traveled to dig the whole day, coming home with a few cents. Other times I've just kept it local and have been able to unearth my best finds. it's amazing how many times I've been able to beat my dated coins, all the way to the 1730's. I have no doubt that I can beat that now. Only being in the game for about 7yrs, I'd have to give it many more to feel differently...

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no way... its still out there! and when i find it? ..... yall can go straight to EEIIII EEEEIII EIIIIIIIII, ........WAAAA ..WAAAA WAAA

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I feel I have dug some really good stuff, after reading posts of other finds, I know there is something better out there...My dream would be a Gold Coin

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I thought my best finds were behind me, I'd probably quit detecting. That's not going to happen any time soon!

I don't really follow you because if you found a 50k find, pulling up those pesky 2-3k finds would not be worth it and it would be time to quit? It's the same equation whether it's a best find is 50k, 20k, 10k, 5k, 1k, or $500 find. I used dollars because you can't measure history or how much you might like something.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I feel I have dug some really good stuff, after reading posts of other finds, I know there is something better out there...My dream would be a Gold Coin

Yes, but you like many others are getting away from the question. Yes, there is some awesome stuff out there to dig, stuff far better than I have ever dug, and I will detect until I can't detect anymore to try and find it.... but that doesn't change that I still think I have probably found my best.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be tough to beat my best find, but certainly not impossible. I think my best finds are ahead of me yet. I've been detecting for 5 or 6 years and still have plenty left in the tank.

I'm hoping my best find will be silver and have an NE on one side of it :)

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be tough to beat my best find, but certainly not impossible. I think my best finds are ahead of me yet. I've been detecting for 5 or 6 years and still have plenty left in the tank.

I'm hoping my best find will be silver and have an NE on one side of it :)

My tank is half empty or half full....haven't figured that out yet:laughing7:........the NE would be a rather nice find.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 7+ years, I still strive to find Gold and Silver, yet WE accept something less (don't we?) with a tag labeled, "Congratulations, You've Just Found the Next Best Thing - Keep-On-Digging!"
Each great find is memorable, but worth only to myself - I'll never sell it.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IP,

I've made some ok finds.....but what keeps most of us going that have been at it for awhile is the next great find is in the next plug.

Regards + HH

Bill

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best is yet to come.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know what you mean...the odds of you finding something better are very low...you know you COULD find something better but the odds are so low, you don't think you will...The odds of me finding something better than Ive already found are very high...so I don't think Ive come close to making my best find...Ive been detecting for four years.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no I don't think I have dug my best yet. I still enjoy the excitement of the dig. I have found silver dollars, bust halfs, half dimes, seated coins all great coins to find. Still looking for a nice large cent and a gold coin. Just a couple of coins that I would love to find. What I really would love to do is a civil war site where I can find bullets, buttons and hopefully a belt buckle. just a few things that would be great to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread