Dock Rake, Dredge, Scoop first time out

Black Davy

Sep 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, AT Gold, GTAx 550. Tesero Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well finally after having all the pieces to put it together its done and tested. All I can say is it works!! I started out with two fry baskets (free) scrap stainless (free) and (1) 10' aluminum pole threaded both ends (1) 4'-6" alum pole threaded also (free) and (2) 10' galvanized poles threaded (free). I cut up my baskets and stainless and welded them up. I worked out the angle using CAD and here it is. This is for all those areas to deep for me to detect. I brought the scoop to a local swimming hole and worked it at lunch for about and hour. I ended up with one steel ring and a dime, no junk. I was using the 14'-6" of aluminum poles today and it was just ok in length I could have used 20' for the deep end portion of the dock. I found that you need to go over your drags multiple times to get down for the deeper items.

Attachments

• first ring.JPG
    first ring.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 165
  • rake basket.JPG
    rake basket.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 245
  • rake on dock.JPG
    rake on dock.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 176
  • rake length in deep water.JPG
    rake length in deep water.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 164
  • the dock.JPG
    the dock.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice job on the scoop , Black Davy..and nice goin' on the ring find:headbang:

Lorraine

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the concept! Can I suggest that you also look at the design of "clam rakes"....the general idea/concept might help you breakup the bottom and to get deeper faster.

OP
OP
B

Black Davy

Sep 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, AT Gold, GTAx 550. Tesero Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Big,
Yes I looked at the clam rakes, what I found is that they are mainly for short deep digs in soft sand not a long drag of 10' feet or so along the bottom. too much of an aggressive angle would have me loading up with material too soon. I have used stainless seraded teeth that are semi sharp witha slight down angle about 2 deg. These will cut through any under water vegitation and this is something that I will have to deal with at some docks and swimming holes.

Attachments

• rake teeth.JPG
    rake teeth.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 200

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Davy said:
Well finally after having all the pieces to put it together its done and tested. All I can say is it works!! I started out with two fry baskets (free) scrap stainless (free) and (1) 10' aluminum pole threaded both ends (1) 4'-6" alum pole threaded also (free) and (2) 10' galvanized poles threaded (free). I cut up my baskets and stainless and welded them up. I worked out the angle using CAD and here it is. This is for all those areas to deep for me to detect. I brought the scoop to a local swimming hole and worked it at lunch for about and hour. I ended up with one steel ring and a dime, no junk. I was using the 14'-6" of aluminum poles today and it was just ok in length I could have used 20' for the deep end portion of the dock. I found that you need to go over your drags multiple times to get down for the deeper items.

Really cool! You might find some good stuff that way!!

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well designed and made! I will be looking forward to seeing what else you find with it.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG:icon_thumright:Nice scoop & nice find on your ring,,HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread