document seal?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I don't think I have ever posted this before, but my apologies just in case.
The object I am inquiring about is a small brass piece with a threaded end and a name carved into the other end. The name appears to me to be I.A. Coles.
I didn't think much about this until I was reading an article in our museum newsletter that said there was an Isaac Coles who served as personal secretary to both President Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Specifically, his middle initial was "A" purportedly for Albemarle County in Virginia, This middle name was chosen to distinguish this Isaac Coles from several relatives with the same first and last names.
Further research details the fact that this Isaac Coles was raised on a large estate near Keene, Virginia--only about 15 miles from Monticello, and that he had a law office in Scottsville, Va. Lo and behold, that is where I dug up this relic! I don't know if there is any connection whatsoever, but it is an interesting story nonetheless.
I would LOVE to find pictures of some early documents with Coles' signature or seal on them to compare with this relic. If anyone knows of any, please let me know and THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7049.JPG
    IMG_7049.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 209

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So... I assume you already know what the object is... And you are just looking for examples of documents from his law practice?

What is the date range of his office in Scottsville?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the text of a letter from I.A. Coles included in the papers of Thomas Jefferson:

IAColes letter 1814.JPG

You might find other examples at the LOC or the Library of Virginia in Richmond.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a scan of a letter from I. A. Coles to T. Jefferson. I saw a number of handwritten letters from him in the LOC database.

iacole LOC letter.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
So... I assume you already know what the object is... And you are just looking for examples of documents from his law practice?

I am thinking from the early to mid 1800's. I will try and research exact dates if i can, but there is precious little information about his tenure in Scottsville.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008

Sorry about the repost--I guess I have contracted the Can't Remember Stuff syndrome! Thanks for the letters--they are definitely hand-written and not stamped signatures from Coles.
What I would LOVE to find is a Coles document with the stamp I posted inked and presssed on one of his letters or impressed in wax either on an envelope or to seal a letter. Anyway, thanks for all your help and i will check out those other references you sent me. Jack.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread