Dodging The Bullets...

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Today, I was scheduled to put up a new curtain track in my hallway... But, living on my own with no-one to nag me, I decided instead to grab the Garrett and head off to a local woodland area known as Cannock Chase.
http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/cannock/cannock-chase-43.jpg

The area has a fair bit of history attached to it, having been used as a training camp during both World Wars. Also, there was a German P.O.W. camp situated on there during the first World War.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/18449

It didn't take long before the Ace250 was ringing, and I soon had a collection of both live and spent cartridges, mostly found in the area of an old firing range.

The metal spike was a bit of a heart-stopper.... It came up point first, and I was almost wetting myself thinking it was a bayonet!!!!! I am informed by a friend that it was probably driven into the ground with a target attached to the other end... unless someone knows better?

Best find of the day though has to be the cap badge. http://www.answers.com/topic/staffordshire-regiment
It is from the Staffordshire Regiment, (Now merged into the Mercian Regiment) who were regularly training at the Chase.

All in all, a good day out for a newbie, and it sure beats putting curtain track up!!!! ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0449.jpg
    DSCF0449.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF0453.jpg
    DSCF0453.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the cap badge gold?

Putting in a curtain track is not fun.
Metal detecting is fun.
Life is short.
;) ;D

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Born Free said:
Is the cap badge gold?

Putting in a curtain track is not fun.
Metal detecting is fun.
Life is short.
;) ;D

The cap badge seems to be made out of some sort of composite material.. doubt they would issue gold ones to be lost in the heat of battle. ;D
And yes... I agree, the curtain track can wait until I'm good and ready!!!! ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have less than 2% with the slider on the back & I have over 100. So very nice, helped it was in a wood instead of the ploughed fields I do. Its one I need too.

Good day I would say :)

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
CRUSADER said:
I have less than 2% with the slider on the back & I have over 100. So very nice, helped it was in a wood instead of the ploughed fields I do. Its one I need too.

Good day I would say :)

Thanks Crusader.... I was dead lucky there, to be honest. I almost chopped it in two with the spade edge but stopped mid-flight as I noticed it! ::)

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Oh.. and if anyone could tell me what to do with the live cartridges now I've photographed them, I'd be grateful.
Don't really want unstable stuff like that hanging round the house, especially as I've only just taken out the mortgage!!! ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_UK said:
Oh.. and if anyone could tell me what to do with the live cartridges now I've photographed them, I'd be grateful.
Don't really want unstable stuff like that hanging round the house, especially as I've only just taken out the mortgage!!! ;D

On your first point, there is a good lesson. Always dig further back than where you think the object is, as it could be on its side etc.. I learnt the hard way.

Strictly speaking you should have cordoned off the area & rung the bomb disposal to get rid of live ammo. However I wouldn't be very unpopular if I did this. They are pretty safe, if you want rid, then a deep river will do or hand them into the police but they may ask lots of questions.

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
CRUSADER said:
Steve_UK said:

On your first point, there is a good lesson. Always dig further back than where you think the object is, as it could be on its side etc.. I learnt the hard way.

Strictly speaking you should have cordoned off the area & rung the bomb disposal to get rid of live ammo. However I wouldn't be very unpopular if I did this. They are pretty safe, if you want rid, then a deep river will do or hand them into the police but they may ask lots of questions.

Muchas Gracias, mate..... I'm due a fishing trip in Bridgnorth. I'll send them to the bottom of the Severn. ;D

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Yep.. the more I look at that badge, the more pleased I am! Can't wait to get back on that site tomorrow. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread