Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started geocaching a few weeks ago and it's pretty fun. It ain't metal detecting, but you still get to ramble around looking for stuff. I picked up a little cheapo gps unit for $100 (Lowrance iFinder Go2) and went at it. You get the waypoints off a website called geocaching.com. I joined for free, put my zipcode in and found the first geocache 100 feet from my house (twelve feet from our back fence). No lie, it was in a little park behind our property, found it in 10 minutes. It was full of all kinds of little gadgets, you take something out and put something in. I've just been out several times and found 4 caches in parks around Charlotte. I've also found old parks that I didn't know existed. There's one of the oldest parks in Charlotte that I passed in the car all the time that I didn't even know it was there until I started geocaching. It has so much old stonework from the WPA camp days after the depression that it looks like castle ruins up the side of a big hill. And I've never heard anyone mention detecting it. I'm going to be though!
Who knows, it might help me on my real treasure hunting skills. At least now I know how to use a gps to pinpoint and go to a spot on a map. If you have the long and lat, you can get within a few feet of something. It's a pretty cool accompaniment to mding.

Anybody?
Ramapirate

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are alot of Geocaches Around here,
but havn't come accross any.

DKinPA just gave me a spare unit he had.

a GARMIN GPS 12 havn't had the weather & time to learn it yet.

I'v been thinking about trying to find a geocache the hard way though.

Directions only.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My brother-in-law turned me on to it a few years ago. He let me use his GPS unit to find a geocache in a park near his house. It was cool. Then we went on an alaskan cruise and he pulled out his GPS unit while we were docked in Ketchikan and found a geocache nearby. I can see how it would be very fun and a good companion to MD'ing.

I like the idea of using it (geocaching as a hobby) to stumble upon new sites to MD. Looks like I need to go out and get a GPS device... ;D

Joe

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family and I have been Geocaching for about 4 years now. We have geocached all over. I have travel bugs all over the world (My latest in is Germany [cross the divide]). It great to be able to get out into the woods and just spend the day with the family. There are clubs that you can join and all different type of caches you can do, it really is a lot of fun.

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
I just looked up the site the other day, and it seems like it would be a heap of fun. I have one within a mile of my house. its as good as found.

Hopefully I can get into it and go for the harder ones in a few months.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Two times my son and I have stunbled upon them while out detecting wooded areas. Both times we left a coin we had dug as our "gift" to the cache!

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a fresh dug coin in one I found the other day. It was a park and recreation coin, but you could tell it'd been dug recently. I've never found a geocache detecting, but it's probably coming.

HH,
Ramapirate

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Been Geocaching for 5 years, maybe. Problem is, that a lot of the caches were placed just to place a cache, so there's really nothing special about the cache. ONCE IN A WHILE, you do find a winner, a cache site that has historical significance, and maybe the possibility of TH'ing, although many are in areas closed to metal detecting and relic hunting. Even with that in mind, just going to a site with history is fun. Forget the trinkets, the way to go is TN/LN/SL or Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log!

Tourezrick

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Started caching over a year ago. Have found some new sites to hunt and a hobby the wife likes to do together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread