Does anybody know what this rock is?

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this strange rock some time ago and was hoping someone could tell me what it is. It is a dark purple color and looks like it has glitter in it. the dark mark on the stone looks like someone drew a circle on it with a marker to cut off the more glittery end, I'm assuming to cut and make a cab. This is my first post so I hope the pictures work. Thank you for your help.
ROCK 1.jpg
ROCK 2.jpg

I also posted this in "what is it" http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,297960.0.html . "Alchemy" I.D.d it as purple goldstone
http://unlimitedexotica.com/shop/sphere-goldstone-purple-20mm-p-669.html

edited to add:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstone_(gemstone)

I would like to thank everyone for their interest and help. ;D

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what part of the country did you find that? state? in a body of water, river, lake, i have no idea. somewone else might know if there was more info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in Michigan in an area frequented by by people from all over the world, I have found coins from England, Europe, Japan, china, the Middle East, and just about every other country in the world there. So it could have come from anywhere. I'm absolutely certain it did not originate in Mi. Like I said it has a circle marked on it where it looks like someone was intending to cut the one end off, I assume to make into a cab.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has a slightly resemblance of Mica, but unsure?
Amphibolite could also be a possibility. Hard to say, looks like its already been cabbed.

Upvote 0

sapphire miner

Jan 20, 2010
Obsidian
I have some of what I think that to be, Obsidian. I was told it comes from Colorado, but has been found all over due to it's use for
prehistoric tools. This is the only element that you can actually split an atom naturally by chiping, this makes the sharpest of anything.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sapphire miner said:
Obsidian
I have some of what I think that to be, Obsidian. I was told it comes from Colorado, but has been found all over due to it's use for
prehistoric tools. This is the only element that you can actually split an atom naturally by chiping, this makes the sharpest of anything.

Obsidian is just vulcanic glass. It doesn't really look like this cabb.. :)

crankyolman22,
Kinda looks blueish to me? ???

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you know the name of the varitie? I've never seen nor heard about it. :-\
And your pic is very blurry... :wink:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread