Does Anyone Collect "Holed" Coins?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have any, but I've often wondered about these things. More questions than answers.

Is it always silver coins that are pierced? They don't seem to be drilled but are punched with some sort of ice pick type tool.

How would you do it? Lay it on a piece of hardwood and have at it I suppose.

And the reason for holing? Sew it into clothes? Which would be easier...punching a hole in a coin then getting a needle and thread and sewing into clothes... Or, getting a small piece of cloth and fold it with several coins in it and sew it in your clothes? You don't have to punch anything! You've got a needle and thread already it seems.

Then, how about stringing them on a piece of string? Maybe, but most I've seen have a sharp bur where the point went through. Seems it would cut the cord. Wire maybe?

Then I heard it is something to do with voodoo. I have no idea.

I'll be Crusader has enough to make a nice frame. They did it in England too.

What's your thoughts on "holed" coins? Gary

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard sewed into clothes. I believe that people put them on a string, to keep them from getting lost. They were very valuable in the old days... a dime was like $20 bill.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or they wore them around the neck as jewelry. A lot of gold and silver holed coins were punched to "keep the change" The small portion of metal that was removed. The rims of gold and silver coins were also filed to remove some of the metal from each coin for profit. That is where reeded edges came from. If the reeded edge was missing the coin had been lightened.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually when I find silver coins, I like to save the "HOLE" coin. Haha, just had to get that in. I'm just waiting to catch a HOLE collection in a dump.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect them.

Esp, when they still have great detail & are at a good price.

I have been known to be a tad strange tho.

OH yea , I also recently bought a Seated Dollar with a hole (other-wise it was XF ) .

I dug a 1910 Wheat cent last summer with a hole in it; tho it was a pretty small one.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People in the 1800's wore birth year coins around their necks. Many have been found in Civil War sites over the years. I don't know if it was considered to be lucky or meant as emergency money. I have collected these in the past, and enjoy them as they have character, plus they can be had at a significant discount compared to the same undamaged coin.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found some Spanish Silver with a hole in them. IMHO: probably to wear or not loose. :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have a couple, all silver 18th or 19th century. They were holed to place on a string so they would not be easily lost. Pockets were not too popular way back when.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread