Does anyone collect silver ore

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive been on a few streams lately. And have collected several rocks. That look like it could be silver ore. Did a little research and it looks like silver ore in N.H usually is mixed with lead. I did a acid scratch test. And it shows 65 to 75 percent silver. Just wondering if it is worth collecting.One of the streams had a lot of it. Just from the cons I brought home from there about a lb. My thinking you would need a pickup load to make it worth while. Just looking for a few thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don"t know how to post pictures. Nor do I have a way to. I goggled it the pictures look the same. If its worth it I would get it tested.And I may get it tested. Just wanted to know if any body even collects it. Or even looks for it. There have been a few Silver, lead, copper and zinc mines in the area. The best one did 7 oz. to the ton of silver. The club Im in no one bothers with it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don"t know how to post pictures. Nor do I have a way to. I goggled it the pictures look the same. If its worth it I would get it tested.And I may get it tested. Just wanted to know if any body even collects it. Or even looks for it. There have been a few Silver, lead, copper and zinc mines in the area. The best one did 7 oz. to the ton of silver. The club Im in no one bothers with it.

If what you collect is rare or otherwise special then mineral specimen collectors may take an interest for their collection or to market to others at gem shows and the like.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good point one place I went to. I think its possible to get a decent amount. But Its a long way from where I live. And I would need to get it tested.To really see its value. Really wanted to see if any week end prospectors. Collect it and its worth there while.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That was my thinking. No one bothers with it.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds more like something you'd have to crush and then chemically seperate. Is the work worth the reward?

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That what i am thinking on a small scale. Most likey not worth it. For some place to process it. You would needs tons. Thanks for the reply. But I did fine about a lb. In the cons from one run of a 30" bgt sniper. And a vein of it in a 20lb boulder. Just some more rocks I can add to the collection.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that someone here is doing the chemistry using repurposed hydroponic equipment. That might be an option. It sounds like you're finding enough to make it pay for the crusher and equipment.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is silver $100 ton ore (7oz). Specimen or high grade might be worth collecting.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sitting here looking at some really low grade silver ore that came from a large deposit near Saddleback Mountain in central Texas. Just a souvenir from the past. Met a rancher who had veins of silver on his property. Told me that mining would cost more than he could make. Nobody here bothers with it, but my sample came from downslope(of the hill)(not his property) and was part of Miranda's Los Almagres Mine or the Lost Bowie as it is sometimes called. Gotten after a college field trip. Quartz with lead and silver. Heavy and I suspect more lead than silver. Tiny bit of gold too. Just for lookin, not for minin. Shiny and it has been sitting on my desk for awhile.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any thing found in N.h. Has been a low grade ore. Which I believe have quite a bit of lead in it. Which I believe these pieces have. I need to send some pieces out to be tested. Thinking the big piece could be a specimen. May try selling to a collector. Thanks for the reply"s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread