Does anyone else go detecting in the freezing cold?

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on how cold, the last 3 weeks here were around 0 to -5 at night and any where from 8 to maybe upper teens...that's way to cold for me ...not sure how you would dig frozen ground

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went this weekend, both days, about 4 hours each and it didn't get above freezing the whole time. I suffer from a bit of OCD, so if I decide to go, nothing will get in the way. I just can't seem to give it a rest...

Rock on brother!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will detect in any cold temperature :tongue3:, BUT the ground cannot be frozen! :BangHead: If I find it, I want to be able to dig it without a jackhammer! :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
define freezing.... -22 below wind chill heck no. 20 degrees and a not so windy day and the ground is not frozen, now that's a possibility. I think your definition of freezing is a little different than what we consider it in Northern Ohio.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, Thats most of the time for me because theres hardly anyone around and i can hunt areas that I normally would not hunt in the middle of the day.
I rarely hunt in the summer or fall.

Oh yea, Im in So. Cal. its not all that cold in the winter here.... :tongue3:

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, but have limits. Needs to be in 20's with little wind. Ground right now is frozen hard.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past couple of weeks I've gone twice in low 20 degree temps. The actual detecting in that weather isn't too bad if you dress
for it. It's the getting up the gumption to leave the warm house to get started is the hard part.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+ 32 degrees and under 10 mh winds. I may try tomorrow but the beach is probably frozen

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of last week the night temps here in Alabama were in the single digits to teens, highs in day mid twenties. Saturday first day above freezing (34 degrees) just put on more layers and go for it

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
In the past couple of weeks I've gone twice in low 20 degree temps. The actual detecting in that weather isn't too bad if you dress
for it. It's the getting up the gumption to leave the warm house to get started is the hard part.

You are correct sir, once you leave the house, it's not that bad... but brother is it hard to leave that 70 degree house, when it's below freezing outside. We used those hand warmer packets, stuffed in the palm of the gloves, it really helped to keep the hands warm.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Dig until the ground is frozen more than my shovel can handle

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know fella's, I have done so in the past BUT, after so many years of working out in every type of weather that mom nature can throw at you, now when I look outside and it's non user friendly weather (very cold), I decide it's a good time for me and the dog to take a nap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread