s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I BOUGHT A HARDBACK COPY OF THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA TODAY FOR 10 CENTS AT A THRIFT STORE. I SAW THAT IT IS PRINTED IN 1952 AND I GOOGLED THE BOOK AND THE FIRST EDITION WAS PRINTED IN 1952.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TELL IF A BOOK IS A FIRST EDITION? IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY REPRINTS LISTED IN THE FIRST FEW PAGES.

s.c.shooter said:
I BOUGHT A HARDBACK COPY OF THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA TODAY FOR 10 CENTS AT A THRIFT STORE. I SAW THAT IT IS PRINTED IN 1952 AND I GOOGLED THE BOOK AND THE FIRST EDITION WAS PRINTED IN 1952.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TELL IF A BOOK IS A FIRST EDITION? IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY REPRINTS LISTED IN THE FIRST FEW PAGES.
photo of the question your asking speaks 1000 words....

I think there was multiply additions that year. Most important thing in books is condition. Does it have the dust cover, that's a must for any nice $$.

Either way, you did good for 10 cents!

The first printing has the letter "A" and Scribner's seal on the copyright page.

OldManSea.jpg

and ditto on what SEANO said about condition and dust jacket.

Here's some more info- http://www.pprize.com/BookDetail.php/35

Thanks for all the help. No dust jacket but the hardcover is in great condition. I'll post what I find out. Thanks

Identifying first eds is different between publishers.

If I understand correctly, many publishers had what is known today as "unstated first editions".

A word of caution, though, I did a bunch of research on a Trixie Belden book, and stated in an ebay ad that "this may be an unstated first edition". I got about 6 hate mails from Trixie enthusiasts on that one...but when all the dust settled, it really was an unstated first.

The link I provided is for identifying the only "true" first edition, first printing of this particular book. :read2:

diggummup said:
The first printing has the letter "A" and Scribner's seal on the copyright page.

and ditto on what SEANO said about condition and dust jacket.

Here's some more info- http://www.pprize.com/BookDetail.php/35

I think Your answer is Here ^

I would have said if it dosn't say 2nd. , 3rd. or Whatever Edition,
it was the 1st. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back