Does anyone know what this sign is / means?

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the best picture now that I look at it, so including my "drawing" of what I think it looks like as well. There are a few areas around this site with Spanish era and looking signs. Somewhat verified by someone that works in the area and has studied these old carvings. What am I looking at here? Almost like a circle sitting on top of a triangle. The triangle may "bow" in a bit like my drawing but cant really tell... It faintly reminds me of a mathematical symbol but cant put my finger on which one, or maybe im just thinking of OHM, which this is not. well THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• zoom_symbol.png
    zoom_symbol.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello fronjm05. I am not an expert. In fact most call me a newbie. What I Think your symbol is , is a keyhole. If That is what it is I would look for a key to unlock the code. I hope that helps.

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Yeah after I posted and looked at my awesome drawing some more I was thinking of a key hole. Thanks for the reply Pinwheel!

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about 2 more. Is that a "shaft" or a Phallas & a joke carving lol :) or maybe a bird... are those other ones just natural marks or maybe some eyes... looks like carvings around a knot. There is another similar eye looking one with a line coming out of it, so maybe they are pointing...

Attachments

• 2_pen.jpg
    2_pen.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • 2_3.jpg
    2_3.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 2_5.jpg
    2_5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that is a good article! I've got MANY pictures of various signs carved in trees, all related to this same "treasure site" / treasure trail. Im sure the treasure is long gone, but there are some peculiar carvings! And would be cool to even find the hole at the end of the path to know its gone, and no I followed it to the end. Well if anyone is interested in helping me decipher let me know. Or I probably have not built up enough "rep" on this site yet...

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Well, I don't know, but if I was metal detecting toward that tree, I would be thinking .. Danger! PULL TABS AHEAD

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice that is a good article! I've got MANY pictures of various signs carved in trees, all related to this same "treasure site" / treasure trail. Im sure the treasure is long gone, but there are some peculiar carvings! And would be cool to even find the hole at the end of the path to know its gone, and no I followed it to the end. Well if anyone is interested in helping me decipher let me know. Or I probably have not built up enough "rep" on this site yet...

Hello fronjm05. Your pic's are some that I have never seen before. I would suggest

patience. Some trails take 20 years to follow.

And some are never solved. Take your time and learn as much as you can. Even if what was there is gone, you still get the expeirence and you cannot put a price tag on that.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont find any knowledgeable of trees here. Search the net and you will find a few groups who will school you. Good luck.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
fronjm05. Casca is right to a degree. There is not a lot going on here with trees. How ever a sign/symbol is a sign/symbol on a rock or tree. Vertical or Horizontal makes a big difference. Quite often trees mean KGC. I would check in the KGC section. There are some really knowledgable people there as well as here. Some signs/symbols just take a while to decode. I have some WAGS on your pic's but that's all they are. I would hate to share them with you and confuse you. And I am a green horn which means most of my guesses are wrong. May be some of the pro's like ShortStack or Billythekidder will have some ideals.

Pinwheel

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey it's not just pull tabs!! I found 67 cents over the weekend too ! Lol. This is fun regardless, studying history, cryptography & getting in some hiking! Later

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh & feel free to post your WAGS, I'm considering anything while I research this stuff

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
fronjm05, dont know much about the KGC, read some stuff long ago on spanish signs on trees
maybe do research on both see what you have, and make a grid map, like key hole here,400ft
east is a bird ect. that should help you fig out which way to go, once you decipher symbols
HH

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
ss a pro...that is rich....

I would hate to share them with you and confuse you

Sage advise from a newbie...maybe their is hope for one member of the newbie class...
"smarter than your average cloud reader..boo boo"...yogi bear

oro mandate
rangler

Last edited:

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ss a pro...that is rich....

I would hate to share them with you and confuse you

Sage advise from a newbie...maybe their is hope for one member of the newbie class...
"smarter than your average cloud reader..boo boo"...yogi bear

oro mandate
rangler

Gee thanks rangler. Coming from a Pro like you i have to take that as a compliment. I can not speak for fronjm05 but as for my self i would be tickled to death to read your opinion on his Pic's. Could be fronjm05 will post some more of his pic's.

Thanks cw0909. I know this is not my thread but you are one of the pro's i was refering to.

Pinwheel

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks cw0909. I know this is not my thread but you are one of the pro's i was refering to.

Pinwheel

wow thanks,but too much credit, its been 20yr since i went trailing signs, i lost all my notes,books
pics in a flood about 8yr ago, so im sorta back to learning and depending on memory, and wont
be able to hunt like that again, the old messed up back wont let me, its nice to see the imgs and
read the discussions, it reminds me of when sitting at camp,or in a canyon on a messa, and trying
to fig it all out, what do they say..the good ol days
one of the old timers that started me was a friend of kenworthy, we hunted SE az and SW nm
nope no gold just a lot of fun
fronjm05, sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
wow thanks,but too much credit, its been 20yr since i went trailing signs, i lost all my notes,books
pics in a flood about 8yr ago, so im sorta back to learning and depending on memory, and wont
be able to hunt like that again, the old messed up back wont let me, its nice to see the imgs and
read the discussions, it reminds me of when sitting at camp,or in a canyon on a messa, and trying
to fig it all out, what do they say..the good ol days
one of the old timers that started me was a friend of kenworthy, we hunted SE az and SW nm
nope no gold just a lot of fun
fronjm05, sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread

Hi cw0909. I hate to think of myself as a romantic, but the picture you painted for me of sitting around a campfire with some trustworthy friends trying to figure out what the message of the spainard left 300 years ago is trying to tell you. Listing to a song dog sing on the other ridge across the canyon. Hearing an owl hoot. I have to tell you that is the kind of thing that cements friendships and makes a relationships last through-out the ages. The picture i have in my mind is a romantic one. And having a friend that was a personal friend of Kenworthy had to be a plus. I would bet you lost more knowledge in your notes than most of us will ever have. I wished I could have been the lucky dog that found them. (your notes)But I would have to of returned them. May be after i peeked at a thing or two.

Pinwheel

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem on the "hi-jacking" haha, I'm not too worried about it so discuss what you want, & yes that must have been tough losing your notes, I would probably give up if I lost all of my notes & books (good thing there are so many electronic backup options these days), & my notes are only from the last 1 year since I have started & got back into studying history. Ive been a bit quiet on the main topic as I research more & decide if I want to post more pictures publicly here to get help... I have many images of my area & my head is spinning from the different ideas & symbols I am finding. I may post more soon when I get "stuck". Not trying to "build drama" or anything by saying I have mysterious photos and no one can see them :) just working through paranoia on posting publicly :)

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not the best picture now that I look at it, so including my "drawing" of what I think it looks like as well. There are a few areas around this site with Spanish era and looking signs. Somewhat verified by someone that works in the area and has studied these old carvings. What am I looking at here? Almost like a circle sitting on top of a triangle. The triangle may "bow" in a bit like my drawing but cant really tell... It faintly reminds me of a mathematical symbol but cant put my finger on which one, or maybe im just thinking of OHM, which this is not. well THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

View attachment 898680

Hi fronjm05. I found this from Stilldign. consider it a WAG. It may be something for you to work with

[h=3]The "Keyhole" Symbol[/h]Lead [-]

Tags : None
The "keyhole" symbol is one of those symbols that "falls into place" as your experience grows. This symbol is found at most, if not all, "John" sites, as well as other sites using other coding techniques.
The keyhole, when found on a rock map or carved on ANY surface (panel) etc, is telling you a little story. This story relates to you the fact that you are going to be locating a pozo that has been sealed with a tombstone (a cap rock).
The very top part of the keyhole symbol is a circle. This circle represents the hole that you are going to be digging in order to locate this cap rock. Once you have dug down to this cap rock you will quickly find that you have one major problem; how to get the cap rock off of the opening (this rock is corked into the opening).
This brings us to the bottom portion of the keyhole symbol, which I prefer to call the "dove tail." You see, in order to get your pry bars under the cap rock, you need to "dove tail" the hole that you have dug. This dove tailed area will now allow you to slip your bars in and under the cap rock, allowing for easy removal.
The cap rock (pozo) is usually found at step number 13, however, at step number 12 you will dig up a rock that resembles the keyhole. Pay attention to this rock at step number 12, as it will tell you which direction to dig your dove tail when you reach step number 13.
There is a lot more to this symbol, but the main thing to remember is that when you find the "keyhole" symbol, you know that you are being led to a pozo, and that in order to properly remove the cap rock, you have to dove tail the hole in order to allow for pry bars to be effective. Again, this dove tailed area has already been established, so pay attention to your rock map found at the 12th step so that you can expose this area and make use of it when removing the cap rock.

Other signs familiar to "John" sites;
1) 757..........these numbers are asking you "have you been lied to (75)" about the seventh step. It is very common to make the 6th and 7th step confusing to you. In fact, if you can't nail down the 7th step, you will be wasting time.
2) The Duck. I have written a little about this symbol, and will release more in the future.
3) The Eagle. Of course the eagle is used!! We're talking about John sites and the eagle represents John.
4) The Owl.
5) The Bell.
In the near future I will be releasing more information about these John sites, and why the triangle found at these sites is worthless (as a triangle). Many of you have located these triangles and have been spinning your wheels trying to locate the covered opening. When fully understood, these John sites give you information to at least two openings (pozo and main), as well as give you rock maps (at strategic locations) that lead to the mines that are located within the area.
These rocks maps that are found at some of the 13 different steps are the most clear (uncoded) maps that you can find and they show exactly where the covered mine openings are located.

hope it helps

pinwheel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread