Does anyone know?????

SunCacheKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008
Hello, I am new to this site and I have joined mostly to try and get some information. My parents died a couple years ago and in some of the family papers I came across some info about my grandfather that I had forgotten about. He lived around Melbourne, Fl and owned a charter boat. While bulldozing to put in a parking lot, he SAID they found a buried "cache" which contained gold and guns mostly. He had taken some people on his boat to CA and was there when he got the call about the FIND and had to come back immediately. He said it was being protected by the FBI until dispossed of I guess. There was also a list of the stuff HE was allowed to keep-mostly the guns-and a list of what he sold and for how much. My parents thought he was just "going off his rocker" as they never saw any evidence of the boat or the treasure, but they were never really down to Fl as they lived in Michigan and didn't have the money to go down there. And he still acted like he was poor, always asking for money! So, my question is.....is there a way to find out IF a treasure was found around that time with those certain items???? I now live in Florida and last year mostly completed my geneology and that got me thinking about the treasure. I met a lady last summer who told me that Melbourne is known as the "treasure coast" and if he said he found a treasure he probably did. I think this would be a great story to add to my geneology if I can find out if it's true! I would appreciate any suggestions as how to start this search!
Thanks so much....Sun!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start by searching all the walls and closets or under the carpets for patched up areas or unusual disturbance

HH
-GC

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I'd go to the local library in the town he lived in and look at the newspaper archives. If the FBI where involved I would think something like that would have made the papers. Also talk to old timers that live close by. Could be they could give you some info. Good luck and I hope you keep us updated.

Pepper

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Pepper. A story like that couldn't be kept secret with the FBI involved and whoever dug up the cache would have bragged about town. Before searching any property that belonged to your Grandfather, you've got to verify the existence of the "booty". The newspaper archives at the library would be the first stop. Since you have some experience in genealogy, you know most of the info repositories generally available because treasure hunting and genealogy research are siblings. If you can do one; you can do the other. And it is not unusual for an older person to be wealthy and act poor. Especially if they were poor or nearly so before hitting a "big ticket".
Good Luck.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Would it be possible to find out if he had registered a charter boat as owner in those days? It would give him credability and may provide other leads and avenues to pursue. Interesting treasure tale at the least. Enjoyed your post.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he had a charter baot...Uncle Sam would know. You gotta pay those taxes...and boats, if they have a bathroom and a bed, can be written off as a second home. Check his tax documents to see if he declared his boat.
Al

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Your first call (or stop by) should be to the local FBI attatchment there, ask them if they have any information.

That's what I would do...

OP
OP
S

SunCacheKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008
Hi again...thanks for all of your input! I pretty much thought the library was a choice. I'm not sure about the tax thing...not sure if he filed taxes at that time...I will have to look more closely at his age at the time he wrote the letters. My parents said he died in a "Mission" and there wasn't much left of his affects. I will of course try to find some evicence of that. His death certificate should have that info on it. That same lady also said there was a store in Melbourne that sold artifacts from sunken ships etc and might have some idea how to find out. I really hope I can find something out! This all happened soon after I had left home to start my new life and I had little interest in it at the time, since my folks thought he was just loosing it! We don't know the things we miss out on when we're young and just looking for our own life! My father just didn't talk much about his family, I guessI remember as a young girl going to visit a relative and seeing this OLD lady walk out of the room, and now after doing my geneology, I realize that she must have been my great step-grandmother. How I would have loved to have met her! I also found out that my GREAT-grandfather (4times removed) dug up a Mastadon near the lake that he owned. It is still in the a Museum in New York City today! That was such a thrilling story to find out! My G-grandfather had written a book and I found it in Fort Wayne, In, in the geneology library. They had 2 copies and they wouldn't let ME buy one...the NERVE!! My father had never ever mentioned this and I know he had been to their family home as a child. Of course I found this out AFTER my father passed away in 2004!! Well, guess I've blabbed on long enough! Just one more thing! I wanted to tell you about our latest "Hobby" and guess what...it is connected to buried trasure...it's the hobby of "Geocaching" ! Thus my name...(SunCacheKid)! Later!!

OP
OP
S

SunCacheKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008
GOSH...I can't think of the name of the book right now, but his name was William G Lewis....and YES I am related to THE Lewis of Lewis & Clark!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread