Does Bauxite give a reading?

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
I am a Rebel living in Yankee territory.

I was born in Arlington,Texas.I have had family that lived in Abbeyville,Bakerhill,Eufala area.

When I was younger I would spend my summers staying with my grandpa.We would travel to Alabama to visit my great grandmother and great aunt.

We would go target practice shooting at an old Bauxite mine/hole.

Oh those were the days.I sure do miss them all since they all have passed on.

I remember eating peanuts,pecans,figs,black and purple eyed peas, butter beans (here they call em Lima beans) grits,homemade chicken and dumplings, and cornbread, not actually cornbread but that's what we called it then,PEACHES!I cannot eat another one to this day.

It was there in Alabama my grandpa took me to a Kmart in Eufala to buy my first BB gun.My first kill was a huge long black snake (a racer?).I was 8 or 9 at the time.He would let me drive sometimes on the back roads while listening to ConwayTwitty on his 8 track.

He was my best friend and I do miss him so.He died in 1996.

My mother had a dream about him the other night and emailed me about it.She did a search of the cemetery where all my kin is buried and more than likely I'll be buried.The cemetery page posted head stones of most of my family that is buried there.Cool I thought.

Well I did a aerial search too,of my greatgrandma and greataunts property.I remember across the road was a storage shed of sorts that my mother told me it was a general store at one time,when she was a little girl.She told me of how they would pitch pennies across the floor and they would fall through the cracks.When grandpa died and I went to his funeral that shed was long gone.Grandpa also had a nanny when he was growing up and she lived in a shack near the bauxite mine.When we would go shooting,we would walk past her shell of a home.I remember me and my brother would play there.We found old bottles and such, but ended up using them for targets.I did an aerial/birdseye view and can make out where the "shed" was.Over growth and maybe kudzu covering the nanny homestead.

Now I am 39.A laid off carpenter stuck here in the Northern part of the U.S.

I want to pass through and hit the homesites.I'm thinking road trip.

My question is does bauxite have any effect on metal detectors?What about the red clay?Is it hard to dig?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mishawakian said:
I am a Rebel living in Yankee territory.

You poor thing. Just come on back home. All's good here in Bama. Still got the purple hull peas and cornbread and chicken & dumplings. :wink:
I don't know anything about bauxite, but with all the rain we've been having, the clay should be nice and squishy about right now. :D

Nana

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
As long as there's no gravel mixed with the dried clay it's not nearly as hard as concrete, and is easily broken up with a rock hammer. :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• prospecthammer.jpg
    prospecthammer.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 173

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Bauxite is an ore that aluminum can be derived from. It is also commonly found loaded with several different types of iron oxides. Therefore, I would say that you would probably get a fairly 'dirty' signal on a detector unless it was tuned to reject high mineralization. I also suspect that soil containing large amounts of Bauxite fragments could easily mask more interesting metals beneath. However, I'm no expert in the matter.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread