Does it matter that Tesoro detectors dont have a screen?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RELIANCE on a screen is the best way to leave goodies for those of us who follow. If you believe you can put all your faith in a machine's best guess, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale cheap. For what it's worth to anyone who cares - I strongly feel that everyone who is serious about detecting should start with a beep and dig machine and learn it well. Then, if you desire a screen, you already will have picked up on the audible nuances of different targets. Audible signals and screen displays combined will improve your overall efficiency as long as you don't get lazy and begin to depend on the screen too much. My 2 cents.
luvdux

I look at the screen of my 705 however I hunt in all metal and usually dig everything. I also use all tones...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that when im at certain places i mainly listen for those good tones but once in a while im hit with a ehh should i dig or & then I scroll threw a couple anylizing screens on my machine its kinda like getting a second opinion on what to dig. Screens can b very helpful if u know how to use em. I have a an old friend i used to hunt with Long time ago he had no choice but to have a machine with a screen cuz he was hard of hearing he adapted to it & is a wonderful detectorist, more info is better then just having some ill take as much info as i can when im out there to know whats in the ground befor it gets dug

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it's all said and done the only %100 way of identifying the target is to retrieve it.
luvsdux

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it's all said and done the only %100 way of identifying the target is to retrieve it.
luvsdux

Absolutley correct agreed 100% bud

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luvsdux

This is a true statement. However, This is not nessecarily what metal detecting is about. There are other things to concider. In most of the places I hunt, knowing %100 what the identity of every piece of metal in the ground is, not only is highly impractical it would be highly unenjoyable. :) So this begs the question, what are my intentions when metal detecting? I say dig treasure not trash. I want my trash to treasure ratio to be low. How I achive this is largly based on the discrimination circuit of the machine. So, back to the question of the original post. Does it matter that Tesoro doesn't have a meter. Short answer, no.You can discriminate what you dig without a dgital meter Long answer, meters are a useful tool in my opinion if you know how to utilize them. Just my humble opinion. Audio or visual it's all discrimination. Both will give false information in many instances. Metal detecting is not an exact science. There are an infinant number of variable as to what is in the ground. i.e. size, shape, depth, orintation, proximity to other objects, ground mineralization and so on and so on.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a true statement. However, This is not nessecarily what metal detecting is about. There are other things to concider. In most of the places I hunt, knowing %100 what the identity of every piece of metal in the ground is, not only is highly impractical it would be highly unenjoyable. :) So this begs the question, what are my intentions when metal detecting? I say dig treasure not trash. I want my trash to treasure ratio to be low. How I achive this is largly based on the discrimination circuit of the machine. So, back to the question of the original post. Does it matter that Tesoro doesn't have a meter. Short answer, no.You can discriminate what you dig without a dgital meter Long answer, meters are a useful tool in my opinion if you know how to utilize them. Just my humble opinion. Audio or visual it's all discrimination. Both will give false information in many instances. Metal detecting is not an exact science. There are an infinant number of variable as to what is in the ground. i.e. size, shape, depth, orintation, proximity to other objects, ground mineralization and so on and so on.

I understand what you say wheatymike, but there are places you need to pull the trash bin and dig great part of the signals to get the best out of the soil. One example is that freaking habit (I don't want to say the other word) people have of folding aluminum foil several times

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to jump in one last time here - when I posted "RELIANCE" on a screen etc. I meant exactly that. However, I didn't mean to imply that a screen isn't useful and I have several machines with screens. I just find that it becomes too easy to depend mostly on the screen and that can cause one to pass over good targets.
luvsdux

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RELIANCE on a screen is the best way to leave goodies for those of us who follow. If you believe you can put all your faith in a machine's best guess, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale cheap. For what it's worth to anyone who cares - I strongly feel that everyone who is serious about detecting should start with a beep and dig machine and learn it well. Then, if you desire a screen, you already will have picked up on the audible nuances of different targets. Audible signals and screen displays combined will improve your overall efficiency as long as you don't get lazy and begin to depend on the screen too much. My 2 cents.
luvdux
I went back and read this post and I agree 100%.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Tesoro imo puts the fun back into detecting. Personally I think everyone should start out with a screenless detector just so they can put 100% into listening.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I understand what you say wheatymike, but there are places you need to pull the trash bin and dig great part of the signals to get the best out of the soil. One example is that freaking habit (I don't want to say the other word) people have of folding aluminum foil several times

or of "snapping" the "tail" of a
pull tab off,and pitching it!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
or of "snapping" the "tail" of a
pull tab off,and pitching it!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Why do people even do that? It's just MORE work for them haha.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why do people even do that? It's just MORE work for them haha.

They have a deep need to pick at something...So they pick at soda can pull tabs when in public instead of their nose or butt.:D

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, that seems like a logical explanation. I like to fidget myself

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
All I can say , and i guess you will have to take my word for it . I'm the most picky or one of the most pickey. I call in products and complain and also call and compliment good products . While no expert on MD , only few months , I tried two vdi machines and returned both . The Cibola I'm very happy with , one tone and all . It's a great machine and sometimes beats my expectations . Spend as you will and to each their own . But to me the best buy for the buck and the VERY BEST MACHINE FOR THE BEGGINNER . Now with that being said I have thought about being a distbuter . Which I would only sell items I believe in .!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could u say its the best for A beginner when uve only been detecting for A couple months yes the lower models with screens may not b to accurate but my v3i & deus are dead on I've also used middle grade machines with screens some with out its all what ur comfortable with if u don't like s screen don't get it simple

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I can only say in my experience and at the $300 price point , nothing more or less .attach what level of importance you want to it . My friends would attach allot because they know my level of pickness . Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread