does michigan generally have low ground mineralization?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I'm trying to decide if I need a metal detector with a manual ground balance function, or whether I can get away with just a preset ground balance. I obviously would like to get the preset balance because it's cheaper and easier to use. Can I get away with preset ground balance and not lose depth in most locations in Lower Michigan?

Does Michigan (lower Penninsula)(tri-city -saginaw) in general, have mineralized soil or not? I'm not sure how to tell.

ian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian, your better off with the manual adjustable. I know areas where the dang thing hardly gets three inches and others where it's very good. If your VCR time is still blinking, you better stick with the kiddie detectors and just enjoy doing what you can.

You didn't buy that Vaquero did you? How about the Tiger Shark? The DFX you have is the best you can use in varied locations except underwater.

Take Care,
Sandman

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Sandman,

Haven't bought the Vaquero, yet! I'm hoping to get over to Goodrich this weekend to talk to your guy and try one out, Couldn't get there last weekend. I've gone back and forth about the Cibola and Vaquero. Manual ground balance scares me, but I know it's better. The tiger shark is also on my wish list and I think the wife might be getting me one for my b-day 3/14 - fingers crossed.

ian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian, the manual ground balance is a piece of cake. Once you do it once, you'll wonder why you hesitated. Just set it in all metal mode. Raise the coil near a foot off the ground and lower the coil. If the sound goes up, you adjust the Ground Balance knob one way or the other till the sound stays at it's low threshold hum. Once set switch to discriminate and start sweeping. If you think you may need to reset, (just guess) repeat. Ask the dealer to show you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions