Does my replacement 9X8 coincentric coil have to be tuned to my Vaquero?

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you don't need to send any Tesoro detector in to have it calibrated to a new coil that you bought as an accessory to any Tesoro detector.

Every time you set out to hunt you should ground balance again before starting detecting and then check GB every once in awhile to make sure it hasn't changed a lot for best results.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No detector with a ground balance needs to have the coil calibrated as the G.B. is doing it for you, as you have been told. With a Tesoro or any other detector without G.B. then the internal trimmer may well need adjustment but the problem with this is the stock coil and the new coil may need different settings and trimmers are not designed to be reset often. In Europe you would have a small modification done with an external switch to select each different coils optimum setting.

Far easier/cheaper to buy a model with adjustable G.B. in the first place.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true. On the Vaquero and Tejon you do not need to have it tuned. Only units that have a factory preset ground rejection need it. However, if you bought a used coil, it is always good to send it in to see if the coil needs to be re-tuned. Age can cause the wires inside to shift.

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you all. DOesn't the Cortez also have manuel ground balance so it too would never need to be tuned to it's coil correct?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you all. DOesn't the Cortez also have manuel ground balance so it too would never need to be tuned to it's coil correct?

Correct...

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, This is not true. The Cortes manual ground balance is only in the all-metal mode. The discriminate side is a factory preset ground rejection!

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the vaq has ground balance in all metal and discrimination mode? I guess when you set GB in all metal and then click to discrimination the GB follows over?

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once i ask tesoro if i have to send in the vaq. to use the 12x10 coil. they said i don't have to if i use it in all metal. i had use it in disc. with no problem. so i guess the tesoro tech know what they talking about. guess the smaller coils ok to use without calibrating the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread