Does playing dumb really get you somewhere

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the flea market and a guy that I've worked with for years tested the cross I have and said it was 10k gold. It is not marked and he believes it's from the 20s. He told me to go over to another lady who collects religious stuff and that she would offer me a price for it. I get over to her told her that her friend tested it and said it was real gold. She swore up-and-down that it was plated, she would not test it and she offered me five bucks for it. She said anything that is not marked is not gold anything and anything that is not marked is not Sterling. And the only gold marks are 14k, 18k and 10k. I asked her what about if it's marked 585 or 417? She said those numbers are for plated items only!!! I asked her if she had any that were marked that way because I collect gold plated items that are marked 585. This lady has been selling for years! I went back to my jeweler friend and he aplogized for that and said he would never send anyone to her again! I don't see how being ignorant and acting stupid when you have 15 cases of gold and silver jewelry is any benefit to anyone at all!

She was trying to put the screws to you.I sold a 22k necklace 2 or so years ago,it was unmarked.

Yeah, she sounds like a gypsy trying to get over on someone. There's plenty of unmarked stuff out there. Not common but not rare either.

Maybe playing dumb can work sometimes, but the key is you can't actually be dumb. Guiding people in the direction you want to go without being very direct is much more effective. She was just dumb.

Lol,

Either she was really dumb or she was trying to rip you off... I'm leaning towards completely ignorant... The marking act in the United States was I believe in 1906. After 1906 every piece of PM's was to by law have the metal content markings if it was to be sold. Pieces before 1906 can have no marks at all. Pieces from other countries can have no marks at all too and handmade/homemade items also. Karats can range from 6k, 9k, 10k, 12k, 14k, 16k, 18k, 22k and 24k not very common to see 6k, 9k, 12k or 16k but it is out there. I really like this post, knowledge is power !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

I asked her what about if it's marked 585 or 417? She said those numbers are for plated items only!!! I asked her if she had any that were marked that way because I collect gold plated items that are marked 585.
So what did she say when you asked her that question?

I still think she was full of it. Any gold/silver buyer that has been in the business for any amount of time much less years on end, knows full well all the ins and outs of hallmarking/testing metals. Flea markets have some real unscrupulous vendors sometimes. If she was that dumb then you should have left your number for the next time someone tries to sell her the "gold plated" items.

I think she was trying to rook you but then again I'm pretty cynical.

So paint a 2 lb lead weight gold and mark 18K on it.

See how much she will give you.

So paint a 2 lb lead weight gold and mark 18K on it.

See how much she will give you.

I have a fake Figaro I was thinking about taking her to see if she was that bad. She showed the cross to another guy who said it was also plated and he offered $15. Then after I left she saw me In the isle and asked if I sold it. I said no, then she told me I have no business doing this resale stuff if I don't take a good offer when I am given one! Lol, I said I'll try eBay first.

Did she have any "plated" items for you to liberate?

Meh. I think that act may work with people who have absolutely no knowledge of gold testing & hallmarks. Heck that's just like the good ol' 10KP = gold plated.

IMO, playing dumb rarely gets you anywhere, and once someone figures out that you have been playing the dumb act, any trust that there was beforehand is destroyed.

I run into people who play dumb on occasion, and when I can, I play along and lead them, just to screw with them.

At the flea market, last year, I had a woman play dumb while she was asking about sewing machines. "I'm looking for a used sewing machine to start sewing some stuff around the house" she said, and rambled on about "looking for a good one".

Of course, not being my first ride on the turnip truck, I knew that she was trying to play me. I also knew that she is an ebayer.

"Oh, yeah, I've got a Singer something at home. A 'feather' something or another. Got the case and a whole bunch of attachments. It's only portable..." I said.

It was funny to watch her try to play the dumb act while tripping over herself trying to get my phone number.

I've had a few guys play the same dumb act thing with Lionel trains.

One dude asked "Do you have any old trains that run on the three rail track? I've got cash if you do, but they ain't worth much. I just fix and collect them." All the while, he is talking down to me like I'm the biggest idiot on the planet.

"Yeah, I've got some of those. Got 3 engines, all black, say "New York" on them, and I got the boxes too, plus a... 'D-unit' I think its called. Not the steam type though. I also got a big steam engine that says 5433 or 5344 on it, but I don't have a box. Somebody told me that one was valuable, but I'd let it go."

Here is what I am referring to:

RARE 1937 Lionel 700E 4 6 4 Scale Hudson w 700W Tender No Reserve Dakotapaul | eBay

The Lionel 5344 is commonly referred to as a Lionel 700E. I've seen those bring $5,000 on ebay...someone got that one cheap. The original versions are so rare that I've never seen one IRL.

Anyway, it is funny to jack with those people who are trying to jack with me, and just watch them, how they react, what they say, etc. An interesting study of human psychology.

LOL.

IMO, playing dumb rarely gets you anywhere, and once someone figures out that you have been playing the dumb act, any trust that there was beforehand is destroyed.

I run into people who play dumb on occasion, and when I can, I play along and lead them, just to screw with them.

At the flea market, last year, I had a woman play dumb while she was asking about sewing machines. "I'm looking for a used sewing machine to start sewing some stuff around the house" she said, and rambled on about "looking for a good one".

Of course, not being my first ride on the turnip truck, I knew that she was trying to play me. I also knew that she is an ebayer.

"Oh, yeah, I've got a Singer something at home. A 'feather' something or another. Got the case and a whole bunch of attachments. It's only portable..." I said.

It was funny to watch her try to play the dumb act while tripping over herself trying to get my phone number.

I've had a few guys play the same dumb act thing with Lionel trains.

One dude asked "Do you have any old trains that run on the three rail track? I've got cash if you do, but they ain't worth much. I just fix and collect them." All the while, he is talking down to me like I'm the biggest idiot on the planet.

"Yeah, I've got some of those. Got 3 engines, all black, say "New York" on them, and I got the boxes too, plus a... 'D-unit' I think its called. Not the steam type though. I also got a big steam engine that says 5433 or 5344 on it, but I don't have a box. Somebody told me that one was valuable, but I'd let it go."

Here is what I am referring to:

RARE 1937 Lionel 700E 4 6 4 Scale Hudson w 700W Tender No Reserve Dakotapaul | eBay

The Lionel 5344 is commonly referred to as a Lionel 700E. I've seen those bring $5,000 on ebay...someone got that one cheap. The original versions are so rare that I've never seen one IRL.

Anyway, it is funny to jack with those people who are trying to jack with me, and just watch them, how they react, what they say, etc. An interesting study of human psychology.

LOL.

I've seen that too. I just didn't understand she was a vender of gold and silver crosses, roseries and 100s of gold items. Telling me if its not marked its fake! Test it then! Prove me wrong. Anyways it's on eBay for $650 as auction then I'll relist it buy it now Obo. Thats probably Hi but better than $10. I have .50 in it and I like it. It really irritating me though when she said that if I didn't take his offer that I'm in the wrong business because I don't know what I'm doing! I'll tell you what I'm not doing, I'm not sitting my butt down at the fleamarket every single day next to her for the next 20 years of my life. I don't know she just came off as a person then I don't want to deal with again. A lot of bad attitude!

I think we have met the same train guy, however I was not as clever as you.

I'll sometimes ask a question or two that I know the answer to in a buying situation. But I let up if they show any sense of honesty. Sometimes sellers will spin a tall tale as well.

I think we have met the same train guy, however I was not as clever as you.

I'll sometimes ask a question or two that I know the answer to in a buying situation. But I let up if they show any sense of honesty. Sometimes sellers will spin a tall tale as well.

I just happened to know a tiny bit about Singer Featherweights and a whole bunch about Lionel trains, so I got lucky.

Generally speaking, I can smell the "playing dumb" act from a mile away. I can't put my finger on it, at least enough to explain it, but most often, the "dumb act" entails one or more of the following:

1. Talking in a condescending manner to you.
2. Speaking in general terms, but using very specific words or phrases when describing the item.
3. They usually use the words "old" a lot. Old coins, old trains, old sewing machines, old baseball gloves. old stamp collections, etc.
4. There tends to be some body language that the person has there head looking down, and there is an upward or sideways look, when they make eye contact.
5. There is generally a lame reason for wanting the items. "I jus' like 'em", "I had one as a kid and jus' wanted another", "Momma had an old Griswold cast iron __________, and I jus' wanted one like hers", or "I'da like to collect some of them old thangs."
6. Sometimes, there is resentment or competitiveness in their voice, but really it is the condescending tone, like in #1.

I forgot to mention:

Sometimes, I call them on it right then.

Guy said to me: "I'm looking for an old train transformer with two handles on it. Black, and torpedo shaped. I jus' want one of them to put on the shelf. It don't gotta work. I'd give $25 or $30 fer one if it had a box."

My reply: "Yeah, I would too. I love those old ZW 275 watt transformers. I've got a junk one with 2 broken handles that I'd take $85 for today. I just sold a nice case/shell for one on ebay for $40."

It is funny to watch them stammer and stutter for a few seconds.

I don't negotiate often. If things are priced reasonably then I'm not interested - I'm looking for treasure, not a bargain. My treasures usually appear without a price tag. You definitely don't want to look like you know what you're doing. You might add your treasure to a small pile of otherwise simply useful crap you could pick up anywhere, and when the time is right you say "Duh, uh, how much is dis stuff?" I pay what they ask and walk away.
This doesn't work if you're a known expert. Actually, it helps if they think you are a complete fool. Throwing the underdog a bone is makes people feel better about themselves.

Hey People, She is in the business!!! We don't let our sellers know that they sold us a 14k Chain worth $100 dollars for $1.00. We are guilty of the same thing. We get in our car and give high five's because we got a deal from someone that didn't know any better. You win some and you lose some!!! That's the name of the game. We are no different from her!!! Get off your high horses and remember that everyone on this forum is capitalizing on people that are selling an item that they don't realize the true value of its worth. Be smarter, that gives you the upper hand!!!

Get off your high horses and remember that everyone on this forum is capitalizing on people that are selling an item that they don't realize the true value of its worth. Be smarter, that gives you the upper hand!!!

First, I'm not on a high horse.

I simply do not conduct business that way. I don't buy from people who are desperate, I never take advantage of people who are down, and I don't play the dumb act when buying. I also don't tell lies and tall tales when I am buying either.

Life is much easier when you are honest with everyone, all the time.

I routinely, almost always tell sellers, when they approach me with trains to sell, "This Lionel engine is worth about $100 in this condition. You can get that much on ebay if you want to try to sell it there. I've got $50 for it right now if you want to dump it."

When buying at a train show from dealers, I readily admit that I am flipping everything that I buy.

I have had many people give me stuff, whether it is junk leftover from a move, garage sale leftovers, or someone clearing out an estate. I always say, without exception, "I am happy to take this stuff, but I want to be clear that I am taking it straight to the flea market, and am going to sell it for as much as I can get out of it. If you change your mind, you'll have to come buy it there, LOL."

Being honest builds trust, and that trust in business relationships will pay off in spades.

The gold buyer here was very honest with me about a gold necklace I had. he could have screwed me 10 different ways, but anyone want to guess who gets the first call when I find scrap gold?

Now, if someone lays an item out at a garage sale, dumps it off at an auction barn, marks it at an estate sale, or donates it to a thrift store, or simply doesn't care what it is worth and just want it gone, I feel that it is free game. Let the high fives begin!

Last edited:
Hey People, She is in the business!!! We don't let our sellers know that they sold us a 14k Chain worth $100 dollars for $1.00. We are guilty of the same thing. We get in our car and give high five's because we got a deal from someone that didn't know any better. You win some and you lose some!!! That's the name of the game. We are no different from her!!! Get off your high horses and remember that everyone on this forum is capitalizing on people that are selling an item that they don't realize the true value of its worth. Be smarter, that gives you the upper hand!!!

There's a huge difference in just paying the asking price for an item and walking away compared to engaging in a misleading conversation to try and sway the deal in your favor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back