Does PVC really damage coins?

M

michigan michael

Hi all!

Just a quick question to send out to everyone. I was reading somewhere else that some coin albums have PVC plastic sleeves. They were saying that the plastic sleeves destroy your coins over time. :icon_scratch: Is this due to a chemical breakdown or just from sliding the sleeves? They recommend Dansco albums but I have purchased a lot of the coin collector albums from ebay. I am not sure if the albums have pvc in them or not. Anyone have any knowledge on this subject out there?

Thanks~ MM

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, pvc will damage coins. It is from the chemicals not sliding[have to watch that with all albums].

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
lots of folks lost thousands of dollars in value from PVC damage to their
coins placed in albums. One manufacturer went under due to lawsuits (HARCO). when PVC attacks a coin you get green Corrosion and crystals formed on the coin that leave pits when they are removed - if it can be removed. The good news is that NO White's Albums used PVC slides and NO Dansco used PVC slides and i can't think of any particular major brands that did use PVC other than HARCO. The problem also applied to plastic flips so you really shouldn't use any used flips - especially if you can see green corrosion on the inside - for uncirculated coins. Stay away from HARCO brand and watch for green corrosion and you should be okay. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

I did bid on some Harco albums and lost them ......Thank God! I do however have a bunch of the Green coin collector albums that I purchased from ebay. Does anyone know if these albums are pvc free? Thanks for all the help on this subject.
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

How can you tell if your albums contain PVC?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
PVC only showed up in albums with plastic slides. None of the folders have problems from PVC. seigfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread