Does the IRS monitor this forum?

Is the IRS watching?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Yes, I got a call after posting a big find.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No, you can take off your tinfoil hat.

Votes: 25 44.6%

• Total voters

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think they are a little busy right now. lol Frank...- 111-1 profile.jpg

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be a waste of time for them to pay someone to sit at computers everyday checking every website that have anything to do with people posting their small finds. There are bigger fish out there for them to watch. If someone did find a million dollar find there are more ways for them to find out since people can not keep their mouths shut so word will get out and they will hear.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say no as well ...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone should PM Jeff of PA and ask him to post. I remember either him or Marc telling me a long time ago that I wouldn't believe the number of Federal, Military, and Law Enforcement URLs that show up regularly. Now, were they just employees that were interested in the subject, or were they snooping in an official capacity?

Mike

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
They dont have to pay somebody to sit here and watch and read,computers do it for them.Every bit of communications in this country is monitored and saved in Fusion Centers, https://it.ojp.gov/default.aspx?area=nationalInitiatives&page=1181 NSA and DHS data centers can hold more data than all computers in the world combined.Dont think so?You best be thinking again:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Anybody that answers "yes" to this thread, is probably a type person who is susceptible to any and all "conspiracy theories".

I mean, seriously now folks, do you think anyone really cares ? And what, pray-tell, do you think they're monitoring for ? Rings that exceed the value of lost & found cut-off laws in states ? Or (gasp) that someone found a wheatie over 50 yrs. old on federal land ? Or the IRS that you and I aren't claiming the income on our taxes ? Any and all of these may be horrible, if you asked enough archies or IRS people. But seriously now, don't you think they have bigger fish to fry ?

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigcypresshunter had, I believe, two visits by federal law enforcement officers as a direct result of the "Swamp gold" thread. They seemed to be very uninterested in the investigation, as well as uninformed about the specifics. Someone had to dispatch them to him, as well as taking the time to look up who he was in real life....So conspiracy theories aside...there goes the theory that they have bigger fish to fry.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope so. If I ever post a significant find and they want their cut, I'll pay 'em in pulltabs. ;)
Peace

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just another reason folks who find something really fantastic cannot share it here outside of a few thousands dollars on down. While it is RARE that any of us will ever find a large cache it really sucks that we can't share it with everybody here without "asking for problems".

romanf

May 10, 2014
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Excalibur II 1000
Excalibur II 800
Garrett Recon AML-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't have to monitor. All it takes is somebody that is either upset or jealous of your finds to blow you in. After all, they do get a piece of the action, think it's 10 percent.... But even if nothing comes of the IRS review, it is still a big pain in the butt to deal with. And of course, once you are on their radar, it's hard to get off.

Bigcypresshunter had, I believe, two visits by federal law enforcement officers as a direct result of the "Swamp gold" thread. They seemed to be very uninterested in the investigation, as well as uninformed about the specifics. Someone had to dispatch them to him, as well as taking the time to look up who he was in real life....So conspiracy theories aside...there goes the theory that they have bigger fish to fry.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear for a fact They watch everyone and everything on this planet. Russia does too it is opening old spy base in Cuba this year.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they are watching, but only for the last 5 years, and it is only two rogue employees out of the Cincinnati office. Of course I can't prove this, but only because the specific hard drives carrying the evidence have crashed and been recycled.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody that answers "yes" to this thread, is probably a type person who is susceptible to any and all "conspiracy theories".

I mean, seriously now folks, do you think anyone really cares ? And what, pray-tell, do you think they're monitoring for ? Rings that exceed the value of lost & found cut-off laws in states ? Or (gasp) that someone found a wheatie over 50 yrs. old on federal land ? Or the IRS that you and I aren't claiming the income on our taxes ? Any and all of these may be horrible, if you asked enough archies or IRS people. But seriously now, don't you think they have bigger fish to fry ?

Tom,

Nobody cares about small finds, but there are a lot of point/basket/pot hunters here. Think those finds aren't being watched for possible ARPA violators? Think that someone hunting an illegal area with a big ego, that posts their finds wouldn't get a visit? Don't delude yourself.

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I swear for a fact They watch everyone and everything on this planet. Russia does too it is opening old spy base in Cuba this year.

haha, oh sure. So if the big bad "they" watch and know everything we're doing, then .... pray-tell, why didn't they know where the Malaysian airliner went down, with all those hundreds of people on board ? Oh wait, hold on, let me guess, that too was another giant conspiracy, where..... they really *did* know, right? But had secret conspiracy reasons for not telling the public, Right ? :dontknow:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go metal detecting on federal land, and find a 51 yr. old wheatie, which I will fail to put on my income taxes. Now if I can only find a way to evade those navy commando seal archies that are certain to be hiding behind rocks in black helicopters, waiting to prounce on miscreants like myself! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom,

Nobody cares about small finds, but there are a lot of point/basket/pot hunters here. Think those finds aren't being watched for possible ARPA violators? Think that someone hunting an illegal area with a big ego, that posts their finds wouldn't get a visit? Don't delude yourself.

Mike

Mike, I don't doubt that of all the collectibles that hobbyist diggers can be into, that .... indian stuff is amongst the most sensitive. I worked in a museum once, and .... I kid you not.... some indian activists tried to come in demanding we open up display cabinets, and give them back stuff that belongs to their ancestors ! So I am not unaware that indian stuff has crazy yahoo activist indians that sit around looking for something to gripe about. And sure, maybe those purist indian types will scroll through forums all day looking to see if they can see a post about someone disturbing an indian bone or arrow head.

But let's put "indian stuff" aside for the moment. This is, afterall, a "metal" detecting forum. And thus restricting our discussion to coins and post-european-contact metal items, ... then the answer is no, I don't think anyone gives a hoot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here's a thought about the possibility of LEO (or purists of one persuasion or another) read forums looking for law-violators:

One issue of legalities, that comes up from time to time: Lost & found laws. Because let's face it: any of us who finds and keeps a ring over whatever-your-state's value threshold cutoff is, is guilty of violating lost & found laws. So seriously now: what's to stop any cop from simply scrolling through the beach forums (where rings tend to be posted for boasting show & tell sakes), and simply going down the line and busting each person who failed to run to the police station to turn it in ? Or ... heck .... for that matter, what's to stop those same cops from reading craigslist lost & found for similar scenarios ? It's not infrequent to read of someone posting "found racing bike" or "found wedding ring, email to describe", etc... Technically each of those persons too, if their object exceeds a certain value, is to turn it in to the police for proper repatriation protocol. NOT to attempt their own CL efforts.

But as you can see, this is NOT happening. Hence I also don't think anyone's reading the forums (barring perhaps indian purist rah rah types for their own personal reasons) to harass people.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I do not post photo’s of stuff I don’t still have. I have found them spying on many people and do not trust them..I work hard for my finds and will not share them...Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions