Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kiddrock33 said:
hmm diamonds and splitting wedges, are what i find too. this is interesting, was the wedge near the diamond stone?
Nope the wedge was across the creek.......we were following a trail and came across it---it was in an unusual spot and was an unexpected find.
The diamond rock was nearer to the first 'J' rock we found, kinda in between the 'J' rock and the rock outcropping.
How deep are you finding your iron objects, kiddrock? The ones we are finding are about 3-5 inches.
Thanks! :hello:

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Some say a wedge represents a triangle. I would look for a pattern of 3.... could be trees, rocks, or?....enjoy your search.

Oddrock

Radigast

Greenie
Jan 8, 2011
I had a thought about that rock over the well. Have you looked at to see if you think that it could have been pulled out of that outcropping to cover the well. Someone could have not even looked at and just used it for a weight. When did people start using corrugated sheeting? If it were taken from there or elsewhere in the area, and you can determine where it rested to begin with, it could give additional clues or direction. It looks as though you definitely have something to find in the area. Good luck!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddrock said:
Some say a wedge represents a triangle. I would look for a pattern of 3.... could be trees, rocks, or?....enjoy your search.

Oddrock

That fits in with that tree with the 3 chevrons carved into it's trunk.

Radigast

Greenie
Jan 8, 2011
Oh, I get it Shortstack! It is the key that opens the secret chamber where all of that mason money is hidden!

Radigast

Greenie
Jan 8, 2011
Is that tree with the three notch marks an elm? If so, don't they grow fairly fast? If so, would this not change the way any clues would be viewed? I am just curious about when these marks on the tree and the rock would have been made, and if the metal sheeting over the well would have been placed there in the same time frame.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radigast said:
Oh, I get it Shortstack! It is the key that opens the secret chamber where all of that mason money is hidden!

I'm not real sure of what you mean here. I was simply pointing out that your deduction about the significance of "3" is confirmed with those 3 notches. Other folks who've searched and researched the KGC cache trails have also found that the groupings of "3" is used a lot............3 trees; 3 stones; 3 slashes on stones and trees; etc.

You will also find that the number "33" and several of it's combinations and fractional parts are utilized. Examples are: 16.5 ; 33 ; 66 ; etc. This is due to the connections of the KGC with many Masonic members and the fact that the highest level of attainment in the Masons is the 33 rd degree.

Radigast

Greenie
Jan 8, 2011
Oh, I thought you were joking about the tree, so I was just kind of joking back. What I was getting at about the rock was that it may have been moved by someone just to cover the well, and if so, then the original place it was located may have some relevance. I tried to find out when corrugated metal roofing was first used in the midwest which is what these photos look like to me. What I did find out is that it was developed in the 1820s in England and was used in rural areas in the US shortly after that. What I wonder is how soon it became common in the western states enough for someone to use it to cover an old well. I just don't think that someone would have left a clue to a cache on top of a well where the sheet metal could rust through and the stone fall into the well.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
oddrock said:

Oddrock

Good to see you Matt,
Pay attention to the sharp edge of the wedge when you find one.
you may have notches that will indicate distance along the line the wedge is pointing out.
when distance is given there is usually a small cache involved.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radigast said:
I had a thought about that rock over the well. Have you looked at to see if you think that it could have been pulled out of that outcropping to cover the well. Someone could have not even looked at and just used it for a weight. When did people start using corrugated sheeting? If it were taken from there or elsewhere in the area, and you can determine where it rested to begin with, it could give additional clues or direction. It looks as though you definitely have something to find in the area. Good luck!
Yes, it could have been pulled from the outcropping or even from the hillside to the north of the outcropping which is covered with rocks. I don't know where the rock came from :dontknow: . I am beginning to think(like you) that maybe it was just placed over the well and whoever did it, wasn't concerned with the 'J' on the rock, they were just looking for something to cover that well with. Thanks Radigast.
oddrock said:

Oddrock
That's something I didn't know, oddrock. THANK YOU!! All the little things you guys tell us will help in the long run :thumbsup: .
Old Dog said:
oddrock said:

Oddrock

Good to see you Matt,
Pay attention to the sharp edge of the wedge when you find one.
you may have notches that will indicate distance along the line the wedge is pointing out.
when distance is given there is usually a small cache involved.
We left the wedge in the hole and didn't look to see if it had notches, Old Dog. So, we'll go back and check that for sure. And THANK YOU, too, because without all these helpfull instructions, I wouldn't know what to look for.
Shortstack said:
oddrock said:

Oddrock

That fits in with that tree with the 3 chevrons carved into it's trunk.
Radigast said:
Is that tree with the three notch marks an elm? If so, don't they grow fairly fast? If so, would this not change the way any clues would be viewed? I am just curious about when these marks on the tree and the rock would have been made, and if the metal sheeting over the well would have been placed there in the same time frame.
I believe the tree with the three marks on it is an oak tree---there were acorns all over the ground under the tree. How well do oak trees hold marks over the years? Most of the trees in this area are all oak, hackberry, & hickory with a few cottonwood and sycamore trees along the creeks.
Thank again everyone for all the help---I am learning so much from you guys!!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddrock said:

Oddrock
Looking back at my pictures, oddrock, there were three trees where I found wedge! One of the trees is dead(lightning killed it). What really impressed me is what you said about looking for a pattern of 3 :o ! There are other trees in the area but these three trees are in a clearing. The wedge was pointing in the direction of the big oak tree in the background--the one with the leaves still on it. Here's a pic.
Thank you again!

Attachments

• 3 Trees (650x606).jpg
    3 Trees (650x606).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,313

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents...The symble was done by someone with time on their hands and a pointed piece of iron or steel.
My first thought was a young boy dreaming of his own ranch in the Osage Hills and drawing up a brand, or copying one he had seen.
As old as the chevrons are, they were probably made fifty plus years ago and close to the ground. Windmill guy line?
The loop in the tree limb is more recent 15-20 years
I was born in Pawhuska, love the rolling hills and mesas.
Good luck with your puzzle.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radigast said:
Oh, I thought you were joking about the tree, so I was just kind of joking back. What I was getting at about the rock was that it may have been moved by someone just to cover the well, and if so, then the original place it was located may have some relevance. I tried to find out when corrugated metal roofing was first used in the midwest which is what these photos look like to me. What I did find out is that it was developed in the 1820s in England and was used in rural areas in the US shortly after that. What I wonder is how soon it became common in the western states enough for someone to use it to cover an old well. I just don't think that someone would have left a clue to a cache on top of a well where the sheet metal could rust through and the stone fall into the well.

No problem, Radigast. Everything is copacetic now. LOL As far as covering that well; when I was a kid back in the 1950s, all around the country, kids would find ways to fall into wells. Both those in current use and old abandoned ones. Thinking, responsible people would put some sort of solid cover over their wells when they moved away from their property as a safety factor. In the EARLY 50s there was even a song written called, The Little Girl Who Fell In The Well. It was a folksong and no this is no joke either. That corrugated steel would have been considered a loooong lasting cover and the stone would have been put on it to keep it from blowing away. Oklahoma winds NEVER stop blowing; they just change speed, direction, and force. ;D

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kenley said:
My two cents...The symble was done by someone with time on their hands and a pointed piece of iron or steel.
My first thought was a young boy dreaming of his own ranch in the Osage Hills and drawing up a brand, or copying one he had seen.
As old as the chevrons are, they were probably made fifty plus years ago and close to the ground. Windmill guy line?
The loop in the tree limb is more recent 15-20 years
I was born in Pawhuska, love the rolling hills and mesas.
Good luck with your puzzle.
I would probably think the same way, kenley, if it hadn't been for all the other things we've found. I'm not one to just pull things out of thin air or imagine something being there that isn't. Someone did live here at one time and definitely made this mark on the rock---whether it was moved or not, I have no idea and there is probably no way of knowing :dontknow: , but if it was moved, it would have taken probably three or four men to pick it up because of its size. And the point off the 'J' (or the "jag" as Old Dog called it) points toward the big oak tree across the creek, where we found the wedge.
The wedge(near the three big trees in the last picture I posted)was across the creek about a 333 yards or approx. 1000 feet away from the 'J' rock and well.
The tree with the chevrons is in a creek bottom, quite a good distance away from where the house was and this tree is just one of many big trees in this bottom.....In reference to the "windmill guy line" you mention-----If there was a windmill, wouldn't it have been nearer to the house or well? (cause the chevron tree is in the creek bottom where the wind doesn't blow as much.)
We are just enjoying the hunt---and learning about what to look for. And as long as the rancher doesn't mind us tromping around on his land and we take care not to bother his cattle, we can look for treasure until our hearts are content ;D .
Thanks Kenley!!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Radigast said:

No problem, Radigast. Everything is copacetic now. LOL As far as covering that well; when I was a kid back in the 1950s, all around the country, kids would find ways to fall into wells. Both those in current use and old abandoned ones. Thinking, responsible people would put some sort of solid cover over their wells when they moved away from their property as a safety factor. In the EARLY 50s there was even a song written called, The Little Girl Who Fell In The Well. It was a folksong and no this is no joke either. That corrugated steel would have been considered a loooong lasting cover and the stone would have been put on it to keep it from blowing away. Oklahoma winds NEVER stop blowing; they just change speed, direction, and force. ;D
Ain't it the truth, shortstack?! That's just something we have to live with here in Oklahoma.
And I have been really carefull around this old well---those kind of things scare me. We had talked about trying to move that 'J' rock off the well and look underneath the tin, but have been afraid of the sides of the well caving in.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh wow! I just found this thread Carmon, SOOOO interesting. Good luck! I know you're having alot of fun with this. :hello2: I'll be watching, and keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

lisa

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Oh wow! I just found this thread Carmon, SOOOO interesting. Good luck! I know you're having alot of fun with this. :hello2: I'll be watching, and keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

lisa
Thanks Lisa! A few more pictures from this place are on TNet member dsty's thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,339368.0.html . He said what we call Indian grind holes might be drill holes instead and associated with treasure sites. And member pyledriver found some similar to the ones we found. I have metal detected around lots of different old foundations, but never found this much stuff going on---it makes you wonder, huh? And yes, we are having fun just learning about all the different treasure signs.
:hello:
Carmon~~

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carmon:
Have you had a chance to solve the mystery of that gun sight tree?

Excellent job of reburying that wedge without moving it. That's the way to do it. You can go back many times for researching it's info without destroying any lead. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Carmon:
Have you had a chance to solve the mystery of that gun sight tree?
No, Bill, we haven't been able to get back to our site because my youngest daughter has been down with the flu all this last week. She's still coughing a little and I won't take her out until she gets healed up all the way. And this next week, we're supposed to have a major cold spell moving in(its snowing right now >:( ) so it'll probably be the week after before we can go back and take another look around. I'll post more pictures as soon as I get them, I promise :thumbsup: .
Shortstack said:
Excellent job of reburying that wedge without moving it. That's the way to do it. You can go back many times for researching it's info without destroying any lead. :coffee2:
We have been very careful not to remove any of the iron objects---When I dug that wedge, I kinda loosened the dirt up a little too much and was kicking myself for being careless. I'm really curious now to see if it has any marks on the end of it like Old Dog suggested.
Thanks again for all the help you've given me!
Carmon~

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very welcomed, Carmon. I hope your little girl gets well really soon. You have to be very careful not to let that flu turn to brocitis which I'm sure you are well aware of. Those trees can wait (and so can we).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread