Does This Sound Like a Charginging Issue?

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping that someone out there in T-Net land can help me diagnose this problem. I set out on a hunt Friday, with my coil, headphones and control unit all registering a full charge. Over the course of a 3 hour hunt I noticed that my control unit seemed to be draining much faster than normal, according to the battery icon on the screen. At the 2.5 hour mark I was down to 1/4. At the 3 hour mark, the screen suddenly went blank ( except for the battery icon that still showed 1/4 charge remaining). At that point the unit was dead. When I got home, I plugged the unit into the charger. It immediately powered on, and started charging. This same scenario has now happened 3 times, but not on consecutive hunts. I've had my Deus for about a year and a half, and have logged about 500 hours. Does this sound like a fault with the charger, or maybe something wrong with the control unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Scott

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look at the battery first.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really hard to say based on your description, but it sounds more like a control unit problem than a battery problem based on the screen blanking and inconsistent battery draining. Could be some sort of loose connection or bad solder joint that is causing excessive battery drain. If you've only had it a year and a half, it is still under warranty. I would contact XP Americas for diagnosis and service.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
You might try doing a full charge on all components and reloading the update.
This has cured some of the charging problems for others.
If that doesn't help I would say it's time for a trip back for warrantee repair.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes those spaghetti wires go bad. Switch to one of the other wires before you send it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread