Does Using Multi Tone Affect Depth

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. The choice of tone numbers used does not affect depth.

Last edited:

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also a new user. Roughly 3-4 hrs on my machine also. Have not seen anything that seems to make it affect depth when using 50 tone. I've been using 50 tone without an issue. It's an adjustment but what others say about it giving more feedback is true. You can hear a wide spectrum of sound that may help you find something that would otherwise be overlooked in 5 tone. It is sort of "busy" though using 50 tone. The real help comes when you are in 50 and flip over to all metal. If you hear an iron grunt on an otherwise high sound it's possible it's an old nail especially if it is really deep and shows no ID. Now I may have it backwards but so far that is what I am seeing on mine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Detectable depth/efficient operation is dependent on and determined by a number of factors; Soil mineralization and moisture content, proper ground balance, recovery speed and sensitivity settings. Also, make sure you do a noise cancel before touching any other settings. As Vferrari states, tones have nothing to do with depth. Just ensure you have adjusted the EQX for the other factors that do affect its capability at each site since each site is different. You'll then find that you're getting the best of depth and sensitivity that the EQX can provide in that particular environment and under those conditions.

Just the view from my foxhole... Good hunting.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me, for max depth, run multi tone with no discrimination and mute tones you don't want to hear.
Does anybody do this?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me, for max depth, run multi tone with no discrimination and mute tones you don't want to hear.
Does anybody do this?

Basically, muting tones you don't want to hear is a form of target discrimination, called notch. I avoid that because Target IDs (TIDs) and the tones associated with them vary based on a lot of conditions not under your control (target condition, soil type, moisture, other nearby targets) and also TIDs, especially those associated with gold jewelry tend to overlap with junk TIDs. So muting an 11 because you think it is a pull tab or can slaw may make you miss a nice gold ring. Coin spills, especially those that include nickels will ring up with multiple TIDs. Muting tones can cause confusing or mixed signals.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a park that opened in the mid 50s, still in use. Lots of new surface trash.
I have pounded it for nearly 30 years, not found enough gold/jewelry to worry over.
I am trying to pull the last and deepest of the silver coins out. Not looking for anything else.
Went there yesterday, muted first tone -9 to 0, ran in all metal, still way too noisy with all the aluminium in the ground.
Did find a good bit of deep clad and pennies.
Next time I will try 2 tone with tone 1 at -9 to 15 and muted, so all I'll hear is tone 2.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might even bump the low tone break up to 18 to kill most of the bottle caps. Personally, I like to hear the low tones, so, I would just run lower volume on them and a low pitch, but, keep them audible.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody do this?

I do, I know it is frowned upon but for cherry picking a small area with lots of shallow junk it has worked for me. 6 coil, 4 on recovery speed and slow down. I do lose the IHPs though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread